1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to Bench Scola (Hear me Out)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

First and foremost, he is my favorite Rocket next to Kyle. Second, I think he is the best post scorer on our roster. I think Patterson should start. Not because I think he is the STUD that some of you insanely believe. I think starting is what has hurt Scola’s production. I think part of it is the system, where Scola is more at the elbow this year than on the block. Another reason may be that he is now the second and some plays 3rd option on offense, with Lowry picking his game up and Martin being lights out since he came back (and Dalembert doing his best Tim Duncan impersonation every time he is passed the ball in the post, thinking he is somehow an offensive option).

I think the first team pushes the ball, and Parson’s, K-Mart (Yes I called him K-Mart. The nickname is not copyrighted. Two people can have the same nickname. I have two friends called J-Dub), Lowry, Martin, Dalembert, they all run. I think saying fast break scoring is not Scola’s “forte” is an understatement.

I think with this move however, you must also bench Parson’s in favor of Lee. This will offset the loss of Scola’s scoring in the first unit. Bud must also continue to break the rotation in the second unit. Now, as last year, Scola must be fed in the post as the first scoring option. Being closer to the basket will also get his rebounding up.

I am a very vocal advocate of trading Patterson instead of Hill. This would also work with Kaman starting in place of Patterson. I say he should start over Hill because his lack of rebounding can be covered up by Dalembert in the first unit, and Hill can help Scola with shot blocking presence and rebounding in the second unit. I think Lee is a great scorer, but I think on a court Scola is a much better first scoring option. This will help with our second unit sometimes blowing leads and not being able to score. Kinda like the Spurs use Ginobili from time to time.

This is more about winning than it is about fixing Scola’s numbers. He needs to be on the block. He needs to be a first option. He can’t be that with our current starters and our current system. Run, Run, Run, Score, Score, Score, then punish them on the block with Scola, using Bud to space the floor. This slows the game down, giving starters time to rest while limiting the number of possessions. Then we get our starters back on the floor.

2. djimi

djimi Member

so ur also suggesting Lee plays SF in place of Parsons? dont think i agree with that. anyway PPat aint playing so well at the moment. like i said before, this is an experimental season, new and unproven coach kinda does that to a team.

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Yes. I think with this Lee would have to play the 3. They tried it the other night against the Spurs. I think Lee on the floor spreads the floor a little more than parsons. With Scola going to the bench, the only real threats to score then would be Martin and Lowry (if he isn't off that night". Plus Lee spaces the floor and gives Kyle the ability to drive.

4. roksoer

roksoer Member

lol, scola is the best big man on the break! have you not seen him play? I'm guessing that the fact that he doesn't dunk it clouded your reasoning

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?t=212584

My idea in preseason, look at the poll figures.

Still believe he should be 6th man. Rockets won't do just yet as they are looking to trade Scola.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Scola is a better rebounder, better post scorer, better defensively(i should say less bad defensively), better on the break and almost as good in mid-range.

Oh yeah patterson should start

Until i see Pat get his explosiveness back i'm not making judgements, but right now he shoots the mid range jumper, thats it. He is terrible at everything else.

His rebound rate is just a hair above budinger, and worse than Lowry. He and Jordan Hill both get out of position constantly on defense, and he can't finish right now.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Scola averages 3 turnovers a game this season. I think he is fatigued. Coming off the bench might do him some good.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pat is lucky he is even in the rotation at the moment, he isn't playing well period.

Frankly Parsons is a better PF than Pat right now, he simply doesn't play like a big man at the moment.

9. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree, but I also think we should bench Scola. Or we trade him or he becomes the 6th guy of the bench ...

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If your one of the people on this board in favor of trading Scola to get younger(which Im pretty sure you are) then you dont bench him... at least until March 15th. With whatever trades Morey is looking at, its important to keep his production in tact and his value as high as possible.

Plus, Patterson off the bench with the more inferior defensive unit balances out the production on both ends much better right now. I do believe that Pattersons time as a starter is coming soon, but not quite yet.

-Patterson, while I think he would be a good fit with the starters, is not quite ready to handle that kind of pressure to be the go to guy in the post. The first unit NEEDS an offensive post presence to make it all work offensively. Even though Scola hasnt been effective at dominating the post offensively, the attention he draws in the post opens up easy shot after easy shot for Martin & co. Scola might not be putting up the number he did last year, but the attention he still draws in the post has been affective.

-I get what your saying, Scola would be a nice 6th man off the bench, and wouldn't hurt the team as bad defensively, but the timing isnt right quite yet. Just be patient a few more weeks and see what Morey has up his sleave.

11. Prince

Prince Member

we're paying him almost a million a month and bench him? bench yourself dude.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

you dont determine the starting line-up based on starting salary.... that would just be stupid.... with a lot of bad contracted crappy players starting around the league....

13. REEKO_HTOWN

Kaman gets paid 14 million a year to stay home. What's your point?

14. Red&BlackPudman

Agreed. Salary has nothing to do with playing time. I mean shat man, Thabeet is getting a couple mill to wear a suit half the time. Performance gets you on the court, and if Scola doesn't start significantly producing on the offensive end (I'm talkin minimun 14 and 8 a game), then you bench the Argentina Ballerina. Can't believe I'm saying this, but the guy is a 180 degree turn around in the wrong direction from last year. Maybe too many ladies and red wine during the lock out?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Been saying it all year - McHale needs to dig deep into his bench to offset the compressed schedule. It's an atypical season, make atypical adjustments. Limit Scola to 5-10 minutes in the second game of a brutal 3-game stretch. Do the same with Martin or Lowry once a week or so (though obviously not all in the same game).

But to barrel through and dismiss the fact that the guys are playing an extra game each week is foolish. It's going to affect them unless you employ counter measures. "Rotate the rotation" - use an 8-9 man rotation each game, but use 9-10 players throughout the year. Give someone a night off (or severely reduced minutes) each game.

16. Prince

Prince Member

just because other people are doing doesn't mean it's right.

17. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I don't hate the idea even though it may be a bit reationary considering he had his worst game of the season against the Spurs on Wednesday. But, the coaching staff may have to look at reducing Scola's minutes. We always have a lull in the 3rd or beginning of the fourth after a team has made adjustments where we seem to lock up our scoring. I think fatigue is a factor in the timing of that. That's when we should force feed the post and slow down the game. It woudln't be a terrible idea to start Patterson and bring in Scola during that stretch to anchor the second team.

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

undisguised pro tank advert.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nah, brah. Thread title was enough already.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

you do what's best for the team, not what's best for the player. If you don't perform then you sit. Just like the poster said about Thabeet. He makes more than any other bench player.

I think Scola starting and playing like hot garbage (fatigue like I said) is tanking.