1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Number of players in game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketForever, Sep 13, 2002.

1. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I remember some years ago Magic Johnson once said the players have become so big that the league should reduce the number of game players from 5 to 4. Personally I think it's not a bad idea coz it would give more court space for the talented players to create. Just wanna know what's everyone's opinion about this idea.

#1 RocketForever, Sep 13, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2002
  2. drapg

drapg Member

What position would be eliminated?

Or would there be a redefinition of position? Personally, I don't like major changes to professional sports. I dislike interleague play in MLB and the redefinition of divisions within the NL and AL

I don't like the new creation of divisions in the NFL, but I understand it was out of necessity b/c of the addition of an extra franchise.

Plus, there's no way the NBA Player's Union would ever go for the elimination of jobs in the NBA... Probably the same reason the DH will never go away. :(

3. Timing

Timing Member

They should do that with soccer, not basketball.

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

It's only a problem with bad teams with a bad coach.

The NBA is fine, and the players aren't all that much bigger than in the past - with the exception of Shaq.

5. RocketForever

I know where Magic was coming from. Being such a talented player back then, he would love to have more court space to create a shot. So he did has his point. Being said, I don't like major changes to professional sports either. It would definitely take a few years for the players and the fans to get used to the new system.
    Just for discussion sake though, if one position has to be eliminated, I would say to combine SG and SF.

6. RocketForever

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Just for discussion sake though, if one position has to be eliminated, I would say to combine SG and SF.

Combine PF and C...3/4s of the players at C are PFs.

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I would rather them make the court slightly bigger than reduce the number of players. Maybe just make it two feet wider to create space. Or, just leave it like it is.

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

This coming from a 6'9" point guard.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Widen the courts by three feet would be ideal. Making the courts lonnger by a foot or two wouldnt hurt I think.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Widen the lane not the court-- maybe go to that international trapezoid.

Lengthen the court. That would create slightly more transitional opportunities.