1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Bob Barker 007

Although the LSU Tigers and TCU Horned Frogs made the list of two, Mack will also take an official to Texas on Jan. 23.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

He'll take his last official Jan 23rd to UT. He's following Malik.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I agree with both of you. I would wager that LSU is his number one right now, but I think he will commit to UT after visiting campus and talking with Strong, Jefferson, and McNeal.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

From what Mack has said in the past he values the SEC a lot. And look at his Twitter pre-decommitment -- full of pro LSU stuff. I'd rather he go to Texas.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

LSU might be replacing OU as the premiere program for out of state schools with Texas high school players.

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

anyone else going to the game tomorrow night? I'm interested to see how the Horns play. I'll be on the sidelines before the game so if I take any good pics or have any good stories to share I'll be sure to post them here.

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I just hope we're prepared for this game. So many teams do not show up after Christmas during Bowl Season.

After seeing Strong lead Louisville to an upset over Florida in the Sugar Bowl a few years back, I'm hoping we get this upset and he gets a signature win. Only problem is we do not have a Teddy Bridgewater.

8. Brando2101

Beating Arkansas would not be an upset.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

They're playing on the grass and not the fake stuff.

Pray for everyone's knees.

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

We're 6.5 point dogs on a field that many would consider to be home field advantage; I'd consider it an upset.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Arkansas is the favorite, they have 2 dudes who ran for 1000 yards.

Swoopes better play well, i'm sure they are going to stack the line to make him throw.

12. Brando2101

ESPN will not be running an upset alert if an unranked 6-6 team beats another unranked 6-6 team.

Yea, someone is technically the favorite with the Vegas odds but it's a 6.5 spread. That's nothing. If Vegas felt remotely strongly about it then it would be 7 which is a huge difference from 6.5.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That's ridiculous. How many games are 7+ point spreads? There are 20 bowl games left to play and only 5 of them have spreads that size. 6.5 is a lot of juice to lay on a game if it was virtually an even matchup, especially in what figures to be a low-scoring game. A&M is only a 1.5 point dog this afternoon in what will likely be a shootout between 2 unranked 7-5 teams.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Definitely, if you have the depth of analysis that consists of glancing at the two team's records and performing the complex mathematical analysis of determining which of the two represents a higher mathematical proportion of wins vs. losses.

If you actually know somewhat north of ****-all about the sport or the context, even casually, you'd realize otherwise.

15. Major

Major Member

The line moved to 7 today, so I guess we made the huge jump from pick-em to underdog. :)

Texas was a 6.5 pt underdog vs USC in the national title game, and I think most of America considered us a definitive underdog against the greatest-team-of-all-time. And that was with an O/U of 69. Today's game has an O/U of just 44, which makes a 7 pt spread that much more significant.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

dude, we're the underdog. that's a big spread.

they have two quality wins, Ole Miss and LSU, we beat West Virgina

if it wasn't in houston, we would be a bigger underdog.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'll be watching the Rockets but good luck to Strong and the senior class.

18. Brando2101

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. This is just longhorn fans wanting to feel like the little guy and making an excuse if we lose. Arkansas was 2-6 in their conference. Their only win against a non-conf big 5 opponent was an awful Texas Tech team.

Do you really think Texas is that bad that beating this Arkansas team would be an upset? Is this based on the fact than they are beating the spread?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

dude use your brain.

we lost 48-10 vs TCU , a top 10 team AT HOME.

they beat Ole Miss 30-0, the last top 10 team they played.

we're the underdogs, quit smoking. our qb is horrible. horrible.

in case you don't remember:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HJk2G7agoUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#5319 tinman, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  20. Major

Major Member

Arkansas was 6-6 against a tougher schedule. They score 10 more points a game than UT; they give up 3 fewer points. In their last 4 games, they have 2 wins over ranked opponents and 2 one-possession losses against ranked opponents. In those 4 games against ranked opponents, they gave up a combined 38 points. We have zero wins against ranked opponents, and our last two games against ranked opponents were lost by a combined score of 73-10. Our best win is 33-16 over a 7-5 West Virginia team. Arkansas' is a 30-0 win over a top-10 Ole Miss team.

That's the case for Arkansas being better. What is the equivalent case for UT being better?