1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doug Marrone to potentially join as a consultant if he doesn't land a head coaching job

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Doug Marrone does not land a head coach job, sources say he will have an offer to join close friend Bill O'Brien as a Texans consultant</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/553956510016237568">January 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

what does a consultant do exactly?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They consult.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This would be spectacular, in my opinion. I really like what Marrone was doing in Buffalo, although I'm not a fan of how he exited. Would say a lot about McNair, to essentially hire an extra person for O'Brien just because they're friends.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like the model. He'll join Jim Bernhardt on the staff as a consultant. Working with guys he knows and trusts. Hope it is a good model for BO'B. No one really knows what Bernhardt does for the Texans.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Couldn't the same be said about Smith...???

No one knows what Smith does _ what Bernhardt does _ and if hired, no one will know what Doug does... I guess all three will handle 'TPS reports'...

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

so nothing?

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

[​IMG]

9. Fantasma Negro

He worked with Obrien at Georgia Tech so basically he'd come down here consult on the offense and get paid to hang out with his buddy Billy LoL

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

A consultant discusses important matters and lends expertise on things.

11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

"Criticism of Doug Marrone has emerged in the days since he opted out of his contract with the Bills, and now one of his old assistants at Syracuse has ripped him publicly.

Bob Casullo was Marrone’s assistant head coach with the Orange in 2009 and part of 2010 and on Monday took some shots at his former boss on the radio.

“Self-centered, selfish, greedy,” was how Casullo described Marrone on ESPN Syracuse. “You’re re-shuffling an egomaniac, less than .500 coach.”"

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/syracuse-assistant-rips-doug-marrone-blog-entry-1.2066667

I had assumed that he opted out of his contract because he had a job lined up. But apparently his interview with the Jets didn't go too well.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why do you need to know exactly what they "do".... so you can blame them for specific things?

Now you can see the allure in why they do things this way.

13. Major

Major Member

Or to credit them with things. I would think most good employees would want people to know what they do so they can be recognized for doing a good job. I suspect if the Texans constantly were known for how good they are at drafting, we'd know who's doing the talent evaluation in the organization.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But credit doesn't necessarily lead to anything tangible other than good PR.

Blame assigning leads to scape-goats, firings, and increased pressure when something isn't going well and you absolutely know who botched it.

Again, the salary-cap managers (that are labeled "GM's") and consultants all deflect attention off the head coach (who is most definitely the "man" here)... in addition to actually helping him do his job well. Its the Belichick model... insulate yourself, surround yourself, and have plenty of fall guys if needed (amazingly, he doesn't end up needing them to take any falls, as his team is always consistently good... despite several botched drafts by himself).

And as far as an organization goes, the Texans do hit on nearly every 1st round pick.... till last year, they had a run of 6 straight contributing first round picks (three of them being all-pro level). Even though the later rounds have been awful, I'd like to see what other team's first round "hit" success rate is.

#14 Nick, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oddly enough... those are "the Bobs". lol.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the job of the consultant will be to do Rick Smith's job without the title, and find players BOB wants

17. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't ask what they do so I don't necessarily need to know. But an obvious guess would be he's here to help O'Brien with the offense because that's his expertise and O'Brien could use the help.

Interesting thing is his team did blow picks to move up for Sammy when they could have stayed where they were at and took OBJ last year. That may not have been his decision though. Maybe...

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I read somewhere Marrone is a control freak, even in comparison to other head football coaches.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Following in the large footprints of one Dan "Get Rid of Carr" Reeves

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'll pass. He should have stayed at Buffalo