1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFF/ESPN: How many players away from the SB are the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Flynn threw like 12 TD's in a game, who cares about a game or two.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

3 big flaws:

1) There is no positional value assigned, so QB need doesn't rate differently than a RB need.

2) It is based on the number of players that qualified on each team. The Jets only need 8 more guys because they only had 33 qualify (33x0.40 = 13.2 players). The Colts need 9 guys because they had 37 qualify (37x0.40 = 14.8 players).

3) They differentiate poor from average, and good from elite, but they don't value them differently.

That is why the Jets rank higher than they should.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Statistically Fitz was the best QB in the NFL week 13....see why small samples don't really matter?

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The Browns are really only one player away from the SB: releasing Manziel -- addition by subtraction.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL, your bias continues to cloud your judgement, as your concept of "small sample" (and trend) could use some help...

http://www.xnsports.com/2014/12/23/qb2-committee-eli-manning-ryan-tannehill-teddy-bridgewater-make-solid-week-17-streaming-options/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1825122/teddy-bridgewater

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really doesn't, I think your concept of small samples needs work. Basically what you are doing is rejecting the larger sample of the entire season because it doesn't say what you want it to say and instead you are going with a handful of games that do say what you want them to say.

Anyway, I wish Alex Smith 2.0 well, but he's not someone to lose any sleep about.

7. NewRoxFan

Gee, you defining the number eight as a handful suggests you have some mighty strange hands. We really should move this debate to the Teddy Bridgewater topic (of course, hoping that topic stops being the Warren Moon topic), but here's a few more...

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, there's not reason to move the conversation, we should just end it. Again, I wish Alex Smith 2.0 the best but I'm not going to hype him up and I'm not going to buy the hype from Teddy Bridgewater fans. Even Vikings fans don't hype this kid the way that a segment of Texans fans do.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When those games occur at the end of the season for a rookie QB it deserves noticing. It's called critical analysis but I'm not surprised you are severely lacking in it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is it really critical analysis or is it confirmation bias? His last 3 games he has a 1 to 1 TD/int ratio, if you make it his last 4 games he has one more TD than int. If you are a Bridgewater fan, you won't want to look at his overall stats because they don't say he played well, but if you can find a sample size that downplays his bad games and emphasizes his good games, you go with that. And that's exactly what is happening.

Bridgewater fans had a narrative before the kid ever played a game in the NFL and they've been looking for ANYTHING that would confirm that narrative. Realistic fans see him as nothing special, Bridgewater fans still see the next Aaron Rodgers or Joe Montana.

11. NewRoxFan

LOL... just before you complained about small samples, then you point to his last three games and his last four games. Make up your mind... :rolleyes:

And again, you are the one comparing him to players... first to Alex Smith, and now to Aaron Rodgers and Joe Montana.

I just point out his performance, based on first hand observation and from actual stats. And those support the belief that HOU missed out on a great QB prospect. One that set over 90 rookie QB records for the Vikings (a team that has had Fran Tarkenton and Dante Culpepper as rookie QBs).

Heck, if Mallett or Savage put up the numbers that Bridgewater did the last nine games... we would all be talking Super Bowl.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Try to keep up, I was pointing out why using small samples was a bad idea then TheRealist suggested that how he ended the season was somehow more significant so I changed the sample slightly and it gave different results....showing why those who wanted to believe that Bridgewater was a good QB used the specific sample and stats they used. It's a case of confirmation bias, if you want to make the case that he's some great QB in the making, you seek out anything that you can spin to make that case.

Personally, I prefer the larger sample.

You must not have been around last off-season, all we heard was how he was the next Aaron Rodgers or Joe Montana, I'm just bringing it back up to show how ridiculous it all was. I compare him to Alex Smith (and always have) because that's realistic expectations for his career.

No, you just bring up a very specific small sample of his performance in order to further a narrative. You don't point out his overall numbers or his numbers in a different sample because you don't like those results. Honestly the only people in the entire world who thinks that Bridgewater is going to be a "great" QB are Vikings fans, friends and family of Teddy Bridgewater, and a small segment of Texans fans.

If someone on the Texans had better overall numbers than Bridgewater, we'd have fans calling him the worst QB in the NFL...wanna know how I know that? Because it happened. Bridgewater didn't out-perform Ryan Fitzpatrick last year but let's keep the hype train rolling.

Now it's time for someone to say something like "Of course he didn't out-perform Ryan Fitzpatrick, he was a rookie!" or "Of course he didn't out-perform Ryan Fitzpatrick, he didn't have the weapons!" or my personal favorite "I don't care or know what the numbers say, Teddy Bridgewater was better!"

In the end, we have a small segment of Texans fans, whining about missing out on a QB that performed worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Think about that for a minute.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wait...we are still talking about Bridgewater? STILL? How long before Vince Young's name makes it's way to this thread?

oops! I guess I just did it.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, he "just winz", the Texans really missed out on a great QB prospect when they passed on him!

15. NewRoxFan

Yet... you chose to tout a three and four game sample. And TheRealist was correct in pointing out that Bridgewater's second half of the season was more indicative of a QB that made great progress through the season. Especially a rookie QB.

Your argument style is just... argumentative. And ridiculous. If you want to argue with people in the past, then argue with those people. I am discussing Bridgewater.

btw, having Alex Smith would be a major improvement over the Texans current QBs and would make them much more competitive.

Again, nine games. Nine games is not a "very specific small sample." I have no problem with his total year's numbers.. but it is very reasonable to look more closely at how he played through the season, especially at the last half of the season. Those nine games show how much he progressed as a QB.

But you can't even keep your own misguided criticisms straight... earlier you claimed that not even Viking fans were happy with his performance.

And now you claim that the only people that believe he will be a great QB are Viking fans. You really have a major problem with keeping things straight.

LOL... you might be the only person who believes Fitzpatrick is a better QB than Bridgewater. So lets look at each QB's last nine games. oops, one didn't play in the last nine games. And before you pull the injury card... one of the QBs was benched for poor performance. Now... lets see, was that QB Bridgewater or...

LOL... more .sig material. I guess I can look at the final 9 games of the season... or better yet, look at each during 2015/6. Because I am sure Fitzpatrick will continue his great play of 2014/5, no?

Yes... lets consider that comparison... Fitzpatrick, or Bridgewater. You can be sure that will be a hot discussion topic all next year... as will the Bridgewater or XSF+Nix discussion...