1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BOOK]The Martian

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B-Bob, Apr 3, 2014.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think this book would be interesting to enough people on Clutchfans that I think it's thread-worthy. I say that because it's a fairly unique combination of: space science, suspense, and science fiction.

I'm curious if anyone else is reading it right now, and I also want to recommend to y'all if you haven't heard of it. The author seems to have really done his homework in terms of exactly how NASA would plan, equip, and run a Mars mission. You get the drama of the dude on Mars, in realistic detail, but you also get the mission stuff of the NASA team and directors trying to figure out what they can do. Weir isn't like the next Hemingway or anything, but it's a difficult book to put down if you're a nerd.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18007564-the-martian

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first man to die there.

It started with the dust storm that holed his suit and nearly killed him, and that forced his crew to leave him behind, sure he was already dead. Now he's stranded millions of miles from the nearest human being, with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his food would be gone years before a rescue mission could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to get him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. ...
    "

[​IMG]

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's on my list to get on Audible.com. I have a credit left this month and will probably pick it up. Thanks for the info.

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Sounds very interesting, I need a new book to download.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Will probably wait for the movie and then rave about how much better the book was.

5. B-Bob

LOL, right? But it's going to be difficult to turn this one into a movie. I don't see how the script could get all the technical detail you need in there, because the story is like one McGyver episode after another.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I won't read this book because Mars isn't real and Satan put it there to trick us.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds interesting. B-Bob have you read the Arthur C. Clarke book of 2001? That goes into some detail about spaceship operations on Odyssey and how Bowman survives on the crippled spaceship after he takes down HAL. Is this book similar to that?

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

No Mars is real the question is does your faith still compel you to consider Pluto a planet even though science says otherwise?

Just happened to be listening to this when this thread came up.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jmk5frp6-3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Obligatory, That's no Moon.

You're slipping MadMax.

10. B-Bob

I have read that and yes, it is similar in some respects to the exact detailed science of how, say, an airlock would function. I actually think if anything there is more detailed engineering/science in The Martian.

And yes, MadMax is slipping. I really expected a moon comment from him.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I have it downloaded but have not read it yet. It is next up on my list

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'll wait for the movie

13. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Does anyone know an efficient way to borrow books for the Kindle. The HPL e-book system only has 1 dl available and there are 15 people on the wait list. I understand limiting the number of e-books, but having only one makes no sense.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

damn it....i did think my post was funny, especially coming from me, but still...That's No Moon would really have worked here! :grin:

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Ordered and started reading. Really enjoying it. Protag has some dresden style humor.

16. joepu

joepu Member

Great book. I highly recommend.

17. B-Bob

Yeah, that starts right away. I think it's pretty believable that you'd *have* to possess that sort of humor.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a coincidence! I bought this yesterday at Book People here in Austin and was up until 4am reading it. Excellent.

19. B-Bob

:grin: What page are you on?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Page 285! Not bad for an evening. :-D-

One of the things fascinating to me is that Weir first published this in a shortened form as an e-book in 2011. Apparently, it caught the attention of a publisher. My sister is a romance writer (paranormal... vampires having sex, that sort of thing), and is considering branching out into e-book publishing herself. While she has her stuff at outlets like Barnes and Noble, those outlets are shrinking in number and she's looking at starting a new series as an e-book she's publishing herself. They can actually be more profitable for a mid-list writer who has a following. I'm going to tell her about this. To top it off, her son (my nephew, naturally) works at NASA.