1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Dallas Police HQ Attacked

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 13, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised how little coverage this incident is getting or discussion social media.

This guy had an armored van and several explosives that he used to attack the police. Issues regarding LE and terrorism have been occupying the news and media for years now but this story almost seems forgotten.

At the risk of moving my own thread to the D&D I wonder if Boulware had not been white and / or he had been a Muslim if that would change the coverage.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

He didn't kill or even injure anybody, and he's not tied to some larger group or organization. Plus the police did their job effectively.

I'm sure you want to chalk it up to white privilege or some other more sinister logic, but no.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Absolutely without a doubt, and that's not debatable at all.

I sense censorship from big media on this one, though. No one wants the storm troopers to seem vulnerable.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All of the major national news outlets had this as their top story on their websites. It was also being discussed at length on TV (e.g. CNN, MSNBC)

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

shhh...you're screwing up their white privilege narrative! Don't confuse them with facts!

6. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe.

However keep in mind that the biker shoot out was primarily white people and there was lots of coverage.

Also, it has been on all the major networks, so there has been coverage... and no one was killed other than the aggressor.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree the lack of casualties certainly plays a role and yes this was leading news before but two days later I haven't seen much coverage of this and barely any discussion on social media.

For those bringing up white privilege. Are you saying that a white person attempting to murder police gets less coverage because of White privilege?

#27 rocketsjudoka, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For those bringing up the issue that Boulware wasn't part of any group. He isn't part of any organized group like ISIS, but is part of a very large group of people in the US. Fathers who feel that the courts and LE have cheated them in custody situations. We have seen many other incidents of people who have had various grievances against the government resort to violence. In this sense I would categorize Boulware as a domestic terrorist and people like him we should be concerned.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Plenty of people don't turn violent due to lost of custody fight or other stressful life situation. Everyone doesn't have a tipping point to do mass shooting.

The group is those with mental issues that lead to violent.

And from there it get very messy with what to do and how much to do... put them in a box? take away rights such as guns? society roles?

In this case, head were turned and hoped he gets better. He didn't get the mental help he sorely needed. Not just from his family, but the court and probably many more people.

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

This is the lasting impression I get from the whole story, the guy was nuts and everyone close to him could see it...we just have to wonder how much they tried to help.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's not about the coverage, it's about the content of the coverage. How many segments have there been to discuss whether or not this is an issue among all divorced white men who lose custody of their children and that we should be extra-cautious or diligent around these men?

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

shooting steel ≠ shooting sand

this is true in many respects but mostly with respect to ricochet