1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Offered! (UPDATE: Rudy to coach Lakers - News Conference July 10, 3pm Central)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 6, 2004.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Rudy Offered!

link(registration required, so, just read it here)

Back to school

LAKERS: Tomjanovich is offered the head coaching job after Krzyzewski declines it.

11:49 PM PDT on Monday, July 5, 2004

By BRODERICK TURNERAND DAN WEBER / The Press-Enterprise

Just hours after losing out on what he said was a "longshot" attempt to lure Duke's Mike Krzyzewski out of the college ranks to be the Lakers' new head coach, General Manager Mitch Kupchak offered the job to Rudy Tomjanovich on Monday night.

According to a source close to Tomjanovich, the decision is basically up to the coachwho led the Houston Rockets to back-to-back titles in the 1990s. A deal could be worked out today with an announcement as early as Wednesday after the pair talked several times Monday, according to league sources.

While the appeal of Krzyzewski involved his favorable standing with Kobe Bryant, the hiring of Tomjanovich wouldn't help the Lakers with Shaquille O'Neal.

"I like Rudy T.," O'Neal said Monday evening in a phone conversation. "And I'd always wanted to play for him. But I'm not coming back to LA. They disrespected me."

Meanwhile Bryant, already set to meet this week with Clippers officials, was understood to be meeting today with Denver Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe, who was flying in to make a pitch for Bryant to play in Denver. During the season, Bryant indicated that the Nuggets would be one of the teams he would consider.

At Monday's press conference, Krzyzewski made it clear that the Lakers' search would have to move on. While praising the "class" of the team's pursuit, in the end it was an easier decision than he'd anticipated.

"You have to follow your heart and lead with it," said Krzyzewski, 57, who has three NCAA titles and 10 Final Four appearances in his 24 seasons at Duke.

"That can only happen here."

The Lakers were offering a great deal, Krzyzewski said, including the chance to coach Bryant.

"I know Kobe," he said. "Kobe and I are very close."

But Coach K. will be staying in Carolina. Where Bryant, a free agent, decides to play is but one of the issues Kupchak is dealing with right now.

While hinting he could name a coach as early as Wednesday, Kupchak said Thursday and Friday were also "possibilities." He also said the new coach "probably" would be someone he's already talked to.

"But there's a lot we're juggling at this time," he said. "Finding a coach is one of the priorities." If getting a coach isn't necessarily his "first priority," Kupchak said, keeping Kobe Bryant might be.

"Do we want to keep Kobe Bryant?" Kupchak asked rhetorically. "Absolutely."

But in a passionate answer to a question about the perception that Bryant might be calling the shots on the coaching search, Kupchak said it wasn't unusual for the Lakers to consult players. It's something the team has done since Magic Johnson's playing days.

Yes, he said he'd talked to Bryant about coaching possibilities in the past two weeks, Kupchak admitted.

And yes, he'd not talked directly to Shaquille O'Neal, who has demanded a trade, "since the end of the season."

"We're recruiting Kobe," Kupchak said twice in this week when Bryant reportedly will sit down to talk with Clippers officials.

But the perception that Bryant contacted Krzyzewski before Kupchak went to visit him in North Carolina Thursday is incorrect.

"You can check the phone records," Kupchak said. He'd called Krzyzewski on the day of the NBA draft and the discussion proceeded from there. "If you don't ask, you don't know. I can't control what the perception is. Coach K asked if he could call Kobe."

Kupchak apologized "for the lengthy manner in which this has been drawn out."

And then he made a prediction about the next few days.

"Like our fans, I expect several sleepless nights."

2. Raven

Raven Member

Sloppy seconds, plus a possibility that neither Shaq or Kobe will even be back next year.

I'm shocked that RT would even consider such a risky and backhanded offer, but I don't know the man, and it's his own life, so I wish him well.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes you are right you don't know the man.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

If he takes the job he must want back REALLY bad.....DOnt know how I could come to terms if Rudy was to go to LA I hate LA like I HATE Jordan......TO THE DEATH!!!

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Is Rudy just not supposed to coach anywhere else the rest of his life?

6. qrui

qrui Member

it nobody's decision but his. i'll follow his new team that's for sure. even if it's the fakers.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember Rudy was not the first choice for the Rockets, Carol Dawson was. But a heart condition, if I recall correctly, kept him from accepting. Rudy took the "sloppy seconds" and accounted for himself quite well.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I wish Rudy the best of luck wherever he goes and whatever he chooses to do. Our collective hearts go with him. When and if he leaves the Rockets, it will be like losing one of our stabilizer fins.

#8 thumbs, Jul 6, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Rudy wasn't an established coach then, plus the Rockets had Dream.

RT might end up with a Faker's team that has neither Shaq or Kobe, and that would be a damn shame, because he deserves better.

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter who is on that team Rudy deserves better. They are all a bunch of crying and moaning diva prima donnas. Nobody on that team knows a thing about loyalty. Right now the Lakers are all about me. Me, me, me, me, me, me.

Everything Rudy has been all his life is the opposite of what the Lakers are.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Exactly

12. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Please don't do it Rudy!!! Any team but the Fakers or Jazz!!!

13. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I agree. But that might be a challenge that appeals to him.

And let's not forget---at the time, when Rudy took over, there were heaps of questions about Dream's loyalty. (the contract dispute, the alleged fake injury). Back in 1992, the Rockets weren't exactly a feel-good story. Rudy's a big reason the team changed its character. Frankly, I don't see why the same thing can't happen with the Lakers.

14. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Cool, my name is Dan Weber too! I'm sure everyone cares, right? :confused:

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Talk about jumping into the hot seat. poor Rudy, i hope his health holds up. the lakers have the most Fickle fans you can imagine.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Remember Rudy isn't doing this for free.

Even if he doesn't do well there, he will likely be one of the highest paid coaches for one of the most popular teams in the league. He could do a lot worse.

Go Rudy!

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

Pot. Kettle. Black.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All Rudy has to do is wait a year and the Rox will have a head coach opening. Waiting is.

19. yb001

yb001 Member

Whoever take the coaching job there has to realize that Kobe is the ultimate real coach there, his job is to persuade other players to follow whatever X & O Kobe wants to run.

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Whats with all the Hate for JVG?... he got us to the playoffs last season. Why do people unload so much trash on this guy?.