1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could McHale coach Jeremy Tyler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Believe, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Kevin Mchale is said to be a great teacher of Big Men. Able to teach, motivate and lead young Big's. If so, should The Rox be looking at Jeremy Tyler for the 23rd pick?

I am no expert on gauging talent. Just a huge fan with a love for the game and most of all The Houston Rockets.

Based on certain articles that I have read... Tyler would be a smart move based on the following (Obviously... only if, these opinions are ring true):

- (NBADRAFT.NET) "If you look at the basic facts, what's not to like about Tyler? He's 6'10, weighs 250, has a 7’5 wingspan and is an oozing with potential. He runs like a thoroughbred, jumps like a kangaroo and already at 19 has the strength of an NBA veteren. He grew up around the game so he has a good feel and was also considered the number one player in his class in each of his first three years of high school. Is it possible that he just became lazy because he wasn't being challenged and disciplined off the court? Is he really a lost cause?"

This is where Mchale's ability with Big's comes in..

- (More from the article) "When Jeremy gets to the pros, he could really use a mentor such as the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Kareem did a fantastic job schooling Andrew Bynum, and would certainly command the respect of any young player that truly wants to be indoctrinated in the game of basketball."

Based on his workout videos and articles read.. he obviously has skills that MAY translate to the NBA in a big way. However, he may need some REAL Leaders to guide him along the way.

He most certainly will not be available with the 38th pick. Would it be a smart choice for the 23rd pick?

Gamble? YES.

High risk... High reward??

2. AFS

AFS Member

He'd be a fine gamble at 23, but I doubt he makes it that far down.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would take a shot on him at 14 if the team feels he is the guy, you got to gamble at some point.

DD

4. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

23rd pick is better

14th is too high

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! I'm surprised that you would say that. You are usually not the gambling type.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Who said that?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The fact that he's been an epic fail as a professional? Just a guess....

8. LongTimeFan

But, but, but, he was really good in the Japanese league!!! (the high school of the Euroleague).

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey, LTF. Are you ok, buddy? You've been kinda hating lately. And not your usual hating. More obnoxious.:confused::grin::confused:

10. LongTimeFan

Hey I like plenty of players in this year's draft. Just not ones that make multiple poor decisions, get kicked off their teams, and "resurrect" their career in a league that's below the NCAA level. The only thing to like about Jeremy Tyler is his height.. other than that, I wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on him. (At least not the #23rd pick).

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

would not be shocked if jeremy tyler is drafted before 23, becuase alot of nba teams desperately need help in the front court.

12. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

True... that is where the other peoples opinions and articles come into play speculating on potential...

And as far as Mchale's coaching credential's... I don't know.... maybe all the columnist's that wrote articles that we have read on him since before and after the hiring. Not to mention his ex players comments on him maybe...

Just sayin...

13. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I would stay away from Tyler no matter what. This kid makes DeMarcus Cousins look like Shane Battier, and is not nearly as talented. From what I can gather, the attitude, work ethic, basketball IQ are all suspect. Blaring red lights to me. Heck, I'd take Kyle Singler before this kid. At least I'd know what I'd be getting.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

When pick 23 comes around, he may be the only logical pick left at that time. Unless of course Mar.....

15. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the way most people think on here. The only way that we can get a legit big is throught the draft. Even Omer Asik is worth a boatload right now, and if he was in this draft, he'd go top 8 for sure, if not top 5. Big men are prizes in the NBA. That's why there's even talk on McGee for the #2 pick, and he's an idiot. That's why Haywood got a 6 year $55 million extention. That's why Brad Miller signed for MLE...and that's a discount believe it or not (more than one team were willing to pay more).

If Tyler is anything close to a legit big men, you HAVE to take him at 14. I doubt he'd last too much longer if people can see his skills translating to the NBA. As far as the immaturity and other issues go, you have to taken into account all of the factors. He was a freakin JUNIOR in high school living ALONE in another country. Yes, he was a little baby, but he didn't know any better. Also, how was he supposed to get playing time when the veterans all get dibs before this little kid. It's not that he sucked. He just didn't know how much he had to work when he was young. Anyway, if Morey thinks that he has any talent that would translate, he needs to take him at 14. If not, we'll have a team full of Budingers, below avg starters/good bench players. This is basically what you'll get with the 14th and 23rd pick even if they do pan out.

1 person likes this.
  16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Kevin Garnett

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Agreed 100%

I'd much rather see this team reach at 14 for a possible solid big man than settle on another decent role player that will, ultimately, have little impact on each game.

18. LongTimeFan

I did a quick google search and came up with nothing except for a YouTube clip of them working out. Have a link?

19. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

To answer the OP's question, McHale could literally and physically coach him. Coaching him up, like into the air, in the more figurative sense? Not so sure.

I get kind of a Qyntel Woods vibe from him watching his Japan league videos. I'd avoid him with either first rounder.

20. fv court

fv court Member

Jeremy Tyler is NOT a center in the NBA, best case is power forward and we are stacked at PF. I wouldn't be upset if we used a 2nd round pick and sent him to D-league. I think he will be there when the rockets pick in Round 2.