1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets send qualifying offer to Courtney Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

2. cocoloco

cocoloco Member

i think the bulls are going to make a run at him. they have been after him for a hot minute. hope rockets can keep him. good defensively and could be a good mentor for lamb to help him get better defensively.

3. tofu--

tofu-- Member

We can give them Martin as a consolation prize.

4. rocketsmetalspd

How much is the offer for and will another team offer more?

5. Dei

Dei Member

Bull****. Lee's in his prime. He's not gonna be interested mentoring a replacement. He's gonna want to play, which he could barely do with Martin here. And you'd want your draft pick to develop, which is gonna be hard with Martin still here. And Martin's gonna demand minutes, since he's still here.

I honestly don't know what Morey's doing anymore. He'll have a very, very unhappy roster with lots of people competing for minutes come training camp.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder if Lee will just take the qualifying offer and become an UFA next year?

DD

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I don't think he would, he doesn't have beef with Mchale. Mchale loves him.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

During the press conference he said "I don't understand this question. What do you want us to do, draft a bad player because he plays a different position?"

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Do people think that the offer we're currently offering is fair, too much, or are we low-balling?

10. Dei

Dei Member

I didn't say he shouldn't have drafted a bad player. I'm asking why he still wants Lee, at this point.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Because he has no intention of keeping Martin? I think it's obvious that Martin will either be traded or amnestied.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's the massive storm I saw brewing last night after that last pick. It's going to be some really disgruntled players here, next season. Especially, if they aren't able to resign Dragic or trade Lowry.

1. The Power Forward mess is going to be a night mare, if it's not shorten to at most four with one or two who can play other positions.

2. Small forward, you've got Parsons as an incumbent starter, yet you do have Morris, White, and Jones. White and Jones can start on other teams out of the gates. If either one beats Parsons out, I think Parsons is bonafide starter and won't be as effective getting reserve minutes. You may essentially have two guys who can start sitting on the bench.

3. Dragic and Lowry ...

4. Courtney Lee, Kevin Martin, and Jeremy Lamb...I don't think Lee wants to be a backup, nor does Kevin Martin, while I don't see Lamb coming off the bench.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A "Qualifying Offer" is not the same as an "Offer Sheet." You are thinking of an offer sheet that we have to match.

The qualifying offer is a fixed amount set by the CBA...It is a requirement for turning him into a restricted free agent. It really has nothing to do with his upcoming negotiations.

1 person likes this.
  14. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

I believe the offer as a RFA tender is $3,221,924 if Shamsports and Storytellerscontracts.com are correct.

If all the numbers are correct from sites I've seen that puts the rockets at $49,329,621 between Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Kyle Lowry, Shaun Livingston, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Jon Brockman, Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith, Courtney Fortson, Diamon Simpson, Jone Leuer, Donatas Motiejunas(1st rd cap hold), Jeremy Lamb(1st rd cap hold), Royce White(1st rd cap hold), Terrence Jones(1st rd cap hold), Courtney Lee(RFA tender) and Derek Fisher(Dead money).

Of course they have cap holds of $1,443,300 for Frederic Weis, $16,607,250 for Marcus Camby, $4,005,200 for Goran Dragic and $854,389 for Earl Boykins.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If they do, we better make a run at Asik.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The logical solution is a sign and trade. Asik's qualifying offer is about $2.5M while Lee's is about $4.5. For a center to help Camby out, it would be well worth tossing in $2-$3M cash or taking a small trash contract from Chicago. Of course, we don't have to trade with Chicago in order to acquire a center.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

OK. Cool. Now Dragic.

18. rocketsmetalspd

Thanks for the explanation.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Definitely lowballing him at 4m. I'd say he's worth 6m

20. cod

cod Member

Most probably, the QO is mostly to make him a restricted free agent.