1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Fort Worth Area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm dead.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You moved to dallas?

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Guys it's still possible to go to his house and stop him!

Get the cards!

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Close enough. ;)

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pouring one out for OP.

[​IMG]

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Damn, Yoyo, where were you four years ago when I was there?

Pretty much what DFWRocket said. Ft. Worth the city is great. It's NOTHING like Dallas. I would look around 7th street from Montgomery Plaza to close to downtown. Lots of young professionals and places to hang out. Don't live outside of town, though, because it becomes yokelville fast.

The city is small compared to what you're used to in LA and Houston. The scope of the map will throw you off at first.

People drive like **** up there compared to what you and I have talked about in the past about Houston/LA driving. They poke along, drive slow in the passing lane and get pissed when you pass them. I literally had a police dragnet set up for me one day because I was stuck in a logjam of slow moving traffic and would periodically move from side to side (staying in my lane) to see what the holdup was. In Houston, everyone drives like that.

It's considerably more conservative than Houston. I didn't have a big problem with that, though.

You can get boots and bbq on any corner and all of it cheap.

Great nightlife, good people. Glad to have you in state, my friend. One step closer to H-Town!

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I'll second the 7th street area. My girlfriend lives in Ft. Worth, so I am up there from time to time. The only other piece of advice I have for you is that, no matter what the locals say, Joe T's isn't that great

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Lol - yeah the food is overrated. The salsa is good, it's the atmosphere that's so cool. Great place for out if town visitors in the spring as the gardens are beautiful. The food is average though

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How Bizarre....

I like DFWRocket but hate DFWArea...:confused:

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

If you're working in downtown I'd look at the apartments downtown, around 7th as people have said. There are 2 AMLI properties that come to mind that look nice and a couple other complexes in the old neighborhoods outside of downtown as well. If you can afford 1200 or so, you can get a really nice place.

If you want to live in the burbs (I don't see any reason to since you're working in FTW) then traffic is not terrible, as DFWRocket said. Except for 35 north of 820 both ways. Its only temporary due to construction, but man, it sucks now.

FTW is pretty cool. I live in Arlington, but if I ever overcome inertia, I'll probably move to FTW. Dallas does get the nod for great resturants and music scene, but Ft. Worth has a Cane Rosso, which is amazing and has spoiled every other pizza I've had since. Good luck!

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Lol - evidently I must spread reputation around before giving it to BamBam again

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The only hood part of Fort Worth is south and SE inside 820 and north of 20. You can do well just about every other area besides those. Checkout Mansfield, Lake Worth, Richland Hills, and Arlington if you want a suburb.

The Loop :p

13. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Lol at this thread, hey man Fort Worth is pretty nice. The Dallas area lacks the resterants, culture and beaches we have in Houston but there are a ton of lakes and where you will be is way less congested than a Houston or Los Angeles.

Good luck and enjoy no state income tax and a whole lot of other benefits from not living in a tax and spend area.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

lol thanks for all the advice guys

and I know about the freeway calling noes - Miguel and I argue everytime I am in houston about THE 10.

thanks for the suggestions I am going to be taking them into consideration. My budget is 1200 max - I was spending 1350 here in LA for a 1bd from the looks of things I feel like I can get a 2bd for under 1200 around the area there. I wanted the extra bedroom for when I had guest come to visit.

I am looking forward actually - I never live outside of the LA area (went to school here as well) so its going to be difficult leaving family and friends but it will be neat to be able to start a whole new book let alone chapter of my life.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn more Californians invading our state?

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Well I am here - I ended up finding a place in Keller just north of where I am working. My stuff is in transit here but slowly starting to settle in - so far its definitely been interesting (not necessarily in a bad way) the subtle and not so subtle differences in living here compared to what I was used to in Los Angeles.

17. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Avoid 35W as much as you can during peak rush hour.

18. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

care to elaborate on the good and the bad? keller was pretty nice 10 years ago, i assume that hasn't changed.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^ Dude! whats up Ryan98? ^^

Yo_Yo, Keller is definitely a high traffic area especially down 377, but you've got some cool little restaurants north in Roanoke.

That area is just behind Sugarland for the fastest growing areas in TX. If you need anything, let me know. Welcome to Fort Worth and stay out of Stop 6

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Yeah I lived in Keller until I was 11. There was nothing there back then though. It was a big deal when Kroger finally opened. Emmitt Smith came and everything.