1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hang Up and Listen] Royce White Interview on Slate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arthurprescott2, Jan 8, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

While I applaud your optimism here, the issue is that Royce's heals are currently dug in deep with him insisting on getting the addendum put in writing in his contract. Since the addendum would clearly violate the current CBA agreed upon, its up to the league, and the lawyers to now settle.

I just dont see Royce giving up at this point. His heels are dug in, and he's ready to go to war over this. Obviously this is more important to him then playing basketball so I just dont see Royce coming to the table with Morey to work out an agreement that they can operate under outside of the current CBA.

If you follow him at all, or just have glanced over at the current situation its obvious that Royce cares more about his portrayal as a trail blazer for his cause then he does about playing the sport of basketball. He's not going to give up now, and Morey's hands are tied now with getting the lawyers involved. This crap is going to drag out till probably the Summer unfortunately.

Maybe the NBA will grant the Rockets the ability to take on a 16th roster spot this season sort of like an injured player exception or something. Who knows, but there might be something creative the NBA can do to sort of put Royce's contract on hold until further litigation is settled to allow the Rockets to move on at least for this season without this hanging over their heads.

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

The interview was boring, but the sepp blater quotes in a foreign accent that followed was quite enjoyable

3. Grigori

Grigori Member

The model for success at Iowa State for Royce White was that anxiety over playing time was not an issue: Royce White was the man. There is no way in the nine hells that NBA will ever consider handing over executive authority over playing time "reasonable accommodations."

What White wants is a dealbreaker, and Morey obviously thinks that it will take many missed paychecks before White realizes this, if he eventually does at all.

4. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Yeah, I absolutely see what you mean.

You know, this year with all these Cinderella stories on the Rockets roster, not to mention the team itself, I guess I wanted to put blinders on and hope for a Royce White fairy tale ending -- but only if he plays for the Rockets :grin:

5. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Sad. It's like the NBA train has left his station, but Royce doesn't realize it yet.

6. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Rockets don't need the headache.

Trade him for Trey Thompkins. A young 6'10" power forward with skills who will play. Buried behind Blake Griffin and Lamar Odom. Just needs a chance.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It is an unreasonable expectation to require a modification to the workplace the way Royce is wanting: i.e. medical personnel and the employee having priority in executive/coach decisions.

The Rockets are on firm legal ground. Royce does not seem to understand that this would be unsupportable in NBA/sports real life, or in court. Especially a court system that has ruled in favor of businesses in over 90% of ADA cases over the course of ADA litigation. (This number may have moved slightly lower since I was in the field and/or since the 2008 modification to the ADA, but I doubt it.)

Even an organization as wealthy as the Rockets, who would be hard pressed to claim an undue hardship under normal circumstances, could probably make a case that Royce is asking for a change that is untenable in the NBA environment.

8. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

It really baffles me how he compares anxiety to illnesses such as diabetes and alcoholism. That does not at all seem logical to me.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Royce is a master of obfuscation, platitidues, and straw men. He should run for office.

He wants to be able to stop practice/playing any time he feels anxiety (and what doctor will tell him no?), and still get paid.

The league does not want to set that precedent by letting him make additional demands after his contract is signed.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

12. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Absolutely correct. Moreover, if the doctor says that it is in his mental best interests to get playing time in NBA games, is that medical decision? His stance has never been granted and can never be. Even the federal government requires "reasonable" accommodations for disabilities. Not accommodations mandated by the doctor of the disabled person. So a black and white rule will never be agreed to. Royce stance is unreasonable. There's a reason he can't ever tell anyone the requested protocol - because he's not asking for reasonable protocols that have been turned down, but because he is asking for decisionmaking power to be taken away from an employer in all instances. Will never happen. #dream on.

1 person likes this.
  13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Sorry I didn't see this. You said it better than I did.

1 person likes this.