1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Fail To Give Game To Fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CharlieChan, Nov 14, 2002.

1. CharlieChan

CharlieChan Member

Here we are well into the season, I'm a former 3-year season ticket holder living in Beaumont a little less than 100 miles away, I have BOTH Time Warner Cable and Direct TV; plus LEAGUE PASS on Direct TV; and I have STILL NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEE OR HEAR A SINGLE ROCKETS GAME!!!

The Rockets have not been carried on either Time Warner or DIRECT TV or LEAGUE PASS in Beaumont!!! Black out rules and all that bull****!

Houston Radio Station 610 AM is the only station that broadcasts the Rockets and their signal is so weak you cannot hear it. In fact I can get KMOX in St. Louis on 1120 AM ten times better than 610.

A class outfit would 1) make a committment to fans, 2) make sure they did not bargen for the last broadcasting dollar till the last minute, and 3) support and help develop a radio station that had a broader listening radius (if you want fans you have to build a network of about a 500 mile radius). Thats why St. Louis has such a broad base of fan support - everyone in the midwest has been picking them up for years on KMOX or affiliate stations! Guess what - this translates to greater game attendance! The ASTROS could learn from this also!

Instead of helping to promote a strong radio station by committing to one (like the St. Louis Cardinals did KMOX AM) and growing with them, the Rockets instead choose to play one station against the other and nit pick for every dollar they can save - AT THE EXPENSE OF THE FANS!

I love the ROCKETS! But the ROCKETS lack of foresight in how they run their business without a future plan to expand their broadcasting radius leaves me ill and angry!

Had to get that off my chest. I' ve been to one game this year, the one where Seattle pounded us - that didn't help my disposition either. But the team did gain my respect with the come-back they had in the 4th quarter.

I'll bet you by the way, that the Rockets show a deaf ear to this complaint! A class organization would take an interest in this issue and deal with it. At least they would make contact with the fan in some way.

The ROCKETS are a class organization - so lets clean the office staff of deadwood and get some free thinkers actively working for the fans.

P.S. What is with the BIZARRDO's beating on drums at the game? This just cheapens the event to me, plus I miss the excitement of player introductions that we used to have. Am I alone - or do others like this????? Maybe I'm just too old (close to 60).

2. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

My wife's lifelong friend use to work for the Rockets Org. in marketing. She told us that the whole crew was revamped with younger people and that the budget became very stingy. Note the way they market nowadays and you can see the influences. Too bad.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you really are not getting them on NBA League Pass?

as for the drums...I consider it the best instrument to bring into the stadium. After that, I'd go with horns. I like the whole HS band sound thing.

You have to admit...the Bear on the motorcycle was foolish last year.

#3 heypartner, Nov 14, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2002
  4. CharlieChan

CharlieChan Member

That is correct, I get LEAGUE PASS on the dish DIRECT TV network and it has been blacked out so far, as is the FOX TV Houston network in the Direct TV 600 series of stations. TIME WARNER used to carry the Rockets on channel 18 - but not so far.

I see everyones game - except for the Rockets. About 3-4 years ago - I could see almost every game between LEAGUE PASS and the other stations - but not this year!

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Rockets should have stayed with KTRH AM 740. I can get that with no problem in Austin.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Charlie,

keep monitoring this thread. I'm sure Tim McDougall, the VP of Marketing, will read it and reply. If not, there is a Rockets Fan Council meeting tonight, and I'll ask him for you personally.

So the gist is that Beaumont is just not getting League Pass games due to a blackout for local broadcasts, but the local broadcasts are not showing it....begging the question, "why the blackout, then?"

sounds like a foul-up somewhere to me.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Beaumont is outside of the blackout rules, not sure why they are not showing the games.

DaDakota

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

DaDa, can you post the blackout rules or at least the gist of them. I am not doubting you I just would like to know basically what they are for the NBA. I know that Beaumont is within the blackout limit for the NFL. I live about 5 miles outside of Beaumont. My cable company is different than the people that live in the city limits and the company I use gets KNWS.

I know that ch. 18 in the past has carried the Rockets but the bill was paid for by KFDM. I don't think they are footing it this year, or at least they have not finalized the package yet.

CK

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I like the drums much better than Clutch the Bear reving up his honda shadow at center court.

Sorry you are missing the games, you've missed some good basketball.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Oh and another thing...

Friday's game should be on ESPN so you should be able to see the Rockets whip the Suns.

11. Susan

Susan Contributing Member

I like the drums. I also was sick of the motorcycle.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I cant wait till friday! its goign to be the first rocks game i get to see in almost 3yrs.
    i have been out of country for two years, and now i am waiting for national broadcast games. finally. here is one.
    on espn.:cool:

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I live in Lufkin, Texas. Last year I watched Rockets games on a regular basis on Cox cable, Fox SW, channel 38. This year, NOTHING! I am about 150 miles from Compaq. I plan to attend some games, BUT, the Rockets must not be very interested in expanding their fan base in Eastern Texas, WHICH IS BIG FAT STUPID MISTAKE!:mad:

#13 solid, Nov 14, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2002
  14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

At first I didn't care for the drums. It seemed just a little goofy but when I watched it for the second time I started to enjoy it. I think it was because I was expecting it. I get the feeling they are trying to get the fans to show up loud and proud early in the game. I bet when the fans get in to it and start chanting Houston Rockets just before the introductions it will look a lot better. I know I can't wait for that to happen.

Oh by the way hi. Blatz here with my first post. Kind of exciting.

Blatz

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

CLUTCH CAN DO NO WRONG IN MY BOOK!!

That bear is too much!

[​IMG]

:p

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The Rockets totally screwed their fans just outside of the city limits.

I am in exactly the same situation just south of College Station.

It TOTALLY sucks this year. No TV, no radio, nothing.

17. JLB

JLB Member

I love the drum theme. It takes me back to my HS days. The Compaq center needs more life and the drums bring the beat to start a ruckus. To many up tight non-vocal types go to the games these days.

Question: Why are you not a season ticket holder anymore? Or are you just not able to get to the games this year?

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

i am so disapointed in their tv coverage. there is nothing... if u dont live in houston and pick up ch 51...u have nothing. i live in FW and am waiting for a game...this friday will be the first.
    I remember all the games u used to show on fssw. but not anymore. there is nothing.

19. JLB

JLB Member

Send all complaints to the Rockets. I am one of the many that have complained to there site about channel 51 and also that there seems to be no correct lineup of what channel they are going to be on. Last Sunday or before the TV guide from the Chronicle had a small piece of paper on the front with channel 51's Rockets line up. Games in red are to be seen on ch51 and games in black are to be seen on ch??? The last two three games I didn't know what ch they were going to be on until I saw them on ch51. Yeah they really have botched the TV deals through the years.

COMPLAIN to the Rockets office.

20. edc

edc Contributing Member

This is the way the Blackout Rules read:

It is vague, (intentionally, IMHO) but the gist of it is "If you can get the games OTA or FSSW, watch it there. If you can't, it will be on NBALP." Incidentally, you may not be in the KNWS viewing area, but if an OTA station which does include you in their viewing area picks up the games, you are subject to blackout restrictions.