1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marion fall brings back memories of Sampson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 27, 2001.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think it was in 85-86 season. Ralph Sampson was having a great year and we were playing the Bostin Celtics. Ralph was completely dominating the game. In the 3rd period I think Ralph went up for a rebound and came down on his back. He lay motionless for many minutes and was eventually carried off on a stretcher. I don't recall seeing him move while they carried him off.

The rest of the year he never quite looked like the same player although he finished with good avgs and made the shot in L.A. to get us to the finals in 86.

His career after that was full of injuries and declining production. I always thought that incident had a big effect on his mentality twords the game. Does anyone else remember the accident and how Ralph played after that?

I certainly hope Marion comes back from his fall and has a long successfull career.

------------------

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Marion fall brings back memories of Sampson

Why? Did Marion land on Jerry Sichting?

------------------

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I was just curious because both players were young. Both players looked like they had superstar written all over them. Both players were dominating the game they were in and both players got carried off on a stretcher.

Watching the replay of Marion brought back memories of what happened to Sampson. I always thought that fall had a major impact on the rest of Sampsons year as he never quite looked the same to me. At least not consistently and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that. Thats all.

------------------