1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anthony Davis offered 5yr/$140

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by red5rocket, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There is no way AD should take that deal.

As injury prone as he may be - he hasn't suffered any catastrophic injuries as yet.

Sure a freak injury might happen next year.

But we are all 100% sure there is a GM out there who will offer him the full max on the bloated salary cap.

Heck - I would without question.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Name one superstar in the last 20 years that had not taken a max contract after his rookie contract and signed a one year offer sheet.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I believe the closest was Duncan took a one-year to get enough tenure for the full 30% max. That wasn't his first extension though. And note, Davis already qualifies for the full 30% max under new rules for superstars, as Stein pointed out in the article. Tenure isn't required for superstars.

The first few posters in this thread created an incorrect tangent about the TV deal increasing the max. Stein wasn't talking about that, and BimaThug chimed in to settle that issue.

The only issue would be if he wanted to leave NOLA and wanted flexibility in free agency. That is what Stein was talking about. He would have to force a trade if he took the full years, vs less and giving him control via free agency.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Gotta hold your nerve Davis, think of the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Name me one superstar in the last 20 years that had the opportunity to make A MASSIVE AMOUNT more than $140 million?

Apples and oranges my friend.

Apples and oranges.

EDIT: saw heypartners post above. I'm not well read on the new TV deal /salary cap etc.
    If what happens next offseason doesn't effect the contracts - then of course AD should accept the deal now.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

$144M would be the extension amount based on the currently projected figures for the 2016-17 season ($89 million salary cap)...and assuming Davis meets the 30% Rose Rule criteria.

7. TheresTheDagger

It's hard to imagine someone getting offered guaranteed money at 28 million a year turning that down.

Then again.....dat 2016 salary cap.....

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, it wouldn't be about money. The only question is if he wants out of NOLA. If so, he'd consider taking a shorter deal or no deal. There is a lot of precedence for that. Wasn't Love threatening that?

BimaThug keeps trying to point out that the salary cap is not an issue. The deal would start at the time of the new TV deal.

Unfortunately, a few posters on page one misread Stein's article and think this is about more money. It isn't. It's about a Love-type situation. Would Davis want to leave NOLA. If so, he considers less years or no deal...and gets UFA as fast as possible.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope Davis stays in New Orleans. That town needs something to go in their favor.

10. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I agree, I want various teams to have superstar players across the league.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It seems that there is some misunderstanding of Davis' contract here by several posters here:

Davis' rookie contract does not end until summer 2016. He is locked in at $7.0M next year (2015-16). This "extension" to be offered this summer will only kick in after summer 2016 and will be based on a percentage of the summer 2016 salary cap-- which is currently projected to be about $90M rather than the $67M or so summer 2015 salary cap.

This is why the extension amount is $140M over 5 years. If a $67m cap was applied to calculate the extension, the max extension would be something like $90M. Look at, for example, the 5 year post-rookie deals signed by John Wall and Kyrie Irving for what "max dollar" would be under the currently lower cap.

The point is, the Anthony Davis potential extension already takes advantage of the dramatic jump in cap figures (from $67M to $90M) that is projected to happen in the summer of 2016 due to the new TV contract. Waiting one year will not do anything to improve his salary.

Now, there is another big salary jump that is supposed to happen in the summer of 2017-- to $108M. But in order to take advantage of that, Anthony Davis will need to not only forego being guaranteed $140M right now, he will need to wait 2 full years to sign a long term contract (not sign an extension right now (or maybe sign a 1 year extension if that's offered by NOH), and only sign a one year contract in summer 2016). 2 years is a long time and a lot of injury risk to take on in a gamble for an extra 20% on an already huge contract.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He's too injury prone to risk passing on this imo. Just add an ETO and sign it

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it is a NO BRAINER to sign then! Thanks Bima

He does not seem to 'not' like New Orleans or the management
    I don't know why he would not sign it.

Rocket River

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

The NBA is compelling when it feels like you are watching a legitimate game where both teams are not playing hero ball. It doesn't matter about the team name or city, it's about the play on the court.

It's a sport, not just entertainment.

15. i3artow i3aller

16. Airdough

Airdough Member

Still trying to figure out how offering Anthony Davis a max extension is a story. This is the biggest no spit Sherlock story to come out of ESPN in awhile. He can't sign it until after next year anyway when it can be officially offered. You take the money and build your brand as the best power forward in the NBA. If he doesn't like New Orleans, he'll leave and get the max elsewhere. Morey keeping that flexibility intact for a just little longer.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, he could wait and sign a $110m 4-year deal with the Knicks or Lakers, making practically as much base salary, but also be the best player in the league playing in the biggest market and making endorsement money out the wazoo.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don’t Panic if Anthony Davis Does Not Sign His Extension on July 1st

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Smart kid. Though I doubt Gentry is his biggest concern when he has Tyreke Evans and Eric Gordon on the team.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's injury prone is the problem and only an injury away from not even getting anywhere near max.