1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft: Should it Change?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was thinking about the New Era
    and listening to the Sports Talk

One guy had an interesting proposal
    If you leave high School . .. . The NBA team could have your draft rights for 5 yrs
    One and Done - 4 Years
    Sophmores - 3 yrs
    Juniors - 2 yrs
    Seniors - the regular 1 yr

I kind of like that - I call this the KOBE - YOU CANNOT FORCE YOUR WAY OUT OF A BAD SITUATION RULE *grin*

I would also like to Add more Rounds
    Where 3rd and 4th rounders are your D-Leaguers
    [also pump more money into the D-League]

Any other interesting changes or is everything just fine
    I generally don't like the NCAA and their usage of cheap labor to make millions
    They are the China SweatShops of Athletics

Rocket River

2. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I would really like to see them use the D-league like other sports do.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

There shouldn't be any rule at all for holding these kids back.

For the NFL it makes sense, the boys need to grow up or they'll die + there is no limit on their earning potential (outside of injury).

In the NBA, every year you're in college limits your lifetime earning potential (max goes up with each year you are playing).

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so here's my rant about the draft and conference imbalance.

the way the draft currently assigns picks is by taking all non-playoff teams and putting them in a lotto (duh) but overlooks the fact that many playoff teams in the east are NOT better than lotto teams from the west. this means that the stronger western lotto teams are ending up with better picks than the weaker eastern playoff teams. this is what keeps the western conference stronger every year!

we don't need a crazy fix like an inter-conference playoff bracket where the top 16 records are matched up regardless of conference, like the nba is currently discussing. yes, that would serve the purpose of dropping the weaker teams into the lotto and balancing the talent between east and west... however, there is an easier fix:

PUT THE 14 WORST RECORDS INTO THE LOTTO! regardless of conference or playoff seeds.

this season the nets and celtics (currently 7-8 in the east) would be entitled to enter the lotto AND make the playoffs in the east. while the pelicans and suns wouldn't have one of the 14 worst records and wouldn't be in the lotto.

consider that the celtics and pacers are 1 game apart in the standings with boston holding the 8th spot right now. if the season ended today, the celtics would have the 15th pick, while the pels and suns would have the 14th and 13th, the jazz 12th, and the pacers 11th. but if we go by W-L records, the celtics really should be entitled to the 12th pick, and shouldn't be penalized because they are trying to make the playoffs!

meanwhile consider the western conference... the thunder and pelicans are neck and neck for the 8th spot. if the season ended today the thunder would receive the 18th pick, while the pelicans (with nearly identical records) would receive the 14th pick (well we would get their pick, but you get the idea). so a team as good as the team with the 18th pick, is now getting the 14th pick by virtue if being in the same conference... and they get a better pick than the nets and celtics?! THIS IS WHY THE WEST STAYS STRONGER THAN THE EAST!

its so obvious that this is the cause, and that putting the 14 worst records regardless of conference or playoff seeding into the lotto is the way to redistribute talent to create a balance.

/rant.

new rant about tanking and adjusting the weight of the lotto drawings:

to be fair the worst records MUST get the best picks, otherwise teams will forever be a doormat. however we all know this causes tanking, so we have the lotto system (duh, we all know this, ok i'll get to the point). here's my proposal to semi-solve this. note that so long as you give benefits to the worst records (because they need them) there will always be SOME tanking. its unavoidable. what you don't want to happen is have teams like the knicks and sixers. so here's one way to STEM (because you can never completely stop) tanking:

1) instead of having the lotto for the first 3 picks, have the lotto for the first 5 picks. with more chances to move up, there is less need to tank.

2) reduce the lotto to the bottom 10 teams. teams 11-14 are trying to make the playoffs all year, they aren't tanking, and they don't need a top 3 pick, not even a chance at it when you have teams like the knicks and sixers who actually need it. teams 11-14 get picks 11-14 based on their overall record, and as said in my rant above, regardless of if they made the playoffs or not.

3) the bottom 5 teams all get an EUQAL chance at the first 3 picks, with everyone else getting the same 1 or 2% or whatever. teams 6-10 spent most of the season trying to win anyway. they aren't the real tankers. giving the bottom 5 an equal chance at the top 3 picks allows the worst teams to still get the best picks, but it takes the incentive away from the sixers and knicks to be THAT much worse than the magic, kings, nuggets, etc... only late in the season might we see some tanking from the 6th-8th worst teams trying to get into the top 5, but by the time they are eliminated from the playoffs its only a few weeks of tanking vs a half or full season tank.

4) the remaining 7 teams are entered into the drawing for the 4th and 5th picks. this drawing is weighted by record so the worst team in the drawing has the best chance. as stated, with more chances to move up, there is less need to tank. but separating the bottom 5 teams into the drawing for the first 3 picks still ensures that the worst teams get help.

5) like the current system, teams who didn't win one of the lotto drawings get picks ordered by their W-L records.

#4 smoothie, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015