1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Fiers named AL Player of the Week!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joeson332, Aug 24, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> RHP <a href="https://twitter.com/Fiers64">@Fiers64</a>, AL Player of the Week after his first career no-hitter! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HTownPride?src=hash">#HTownPride</a> <a href="http://t.co/tpLxmykG4i">pic.twitter.com/tpLxmykG4i</a></p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/635891724854800385">August 24, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

We got a very good pitcher here, we gave a lot but this guy was not a throw in, he is a good number 3 pitcher and a great number 4.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

so clear he was pine-tarring lol.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

League officials found nothing against it so

[​IMG]

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

clear how? Even Mattingly said it didn't seem like the ball was moving unusually. Whenever a foreign substance is in question, it comes along with "the ball was all over the place" from the other team and people watching behind the plate.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I mean congrats to Fiers but.... He ain't slick with the pine tar! Credit to <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottWarner18">@ScottWarner18</a> for catching it <a href="http://t.co/oMTAlFQoWA">pic.twitter.com/oMTAlFQoWA</a></p>&mdash; Keenny Pineda ️️ (@KeennyPineda) <a href="https://twitter.com/KeennyPineda/status/634987907388850176">August 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. kaleidosky

yeah, that doesn't prove anything to me. single picture from 1 angle showing something unknown. Sweat? Gatorade got on it in the dugout? Unlikely, but that doesn't really tell me much. Esp when they say that every pitcher uses something--I especially don't see how he did anything unusual.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Believe whatever you want to believe. Believe it's water or gatorade. For me, Fiers rubbing his pitching fingers directly on the foreign substance area are enough circumstantial evidence that it's clearly not water or gatorade.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I watched that game over, never saw him do that once.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I didn't watch every pitch, but I don't recall his pitches dancing and darting around like Scott's used to.

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

let's say, for the sake of argument, it was pine tar. and let's even assume he used it... it doesn't actually detract at all from the fact that he pitched a no-hitter. Pitchers use pine tar all the time in baseball in order to gain a better grip...that's really it. Most pitchers do it and it is accepted among major leaguers as part of the game. In fact, many batters prefer for pitchers to use pine tar because it helps them control the ball better which means less risk of a ball slipping their hand and hitting a batter (remember when Fiers smashed Giancarlo's face???). In a sense, it makes the pitcher more predictable and less wild..something batters like.

If he was rubbing pine tar all over the ball to make it 'slippery/sticky' or alter the movement, then that could be considered cheating..however, there is no evidence of that based on the spin of the ball not to mention the umpire handles balls with regularity and they are trained to pick up on that stuff.

The main reason why I don't think (assuming it was pine tar) Fiers didn't 'cheat' in the conventional sense and why his no-hitter stands on its own merit is because the Dodgers didn't once complain about the movement of the ball or suspect anything illicit from going on...and they are the ones who could have a legit gripe about the no-hitter, and they don't. Also, there is no investigation by the league.

So all you pansy-a$$ internet trolls can just back the F off!

Enjoy your no-hitter Fiers, you earned it and shamed a $300 M payroll baseball team in the process. :cool:

13. awc713

awc713 Member

@Castor27 I'm not a troll. I'm a diehard Astros fan of 20+ years. Simply posting two photos on the subject is not trolling. If you think the photos are adulterated, that's fair, and I cannot and will not argue against it. Those who watched the game in full have a better foundation of knowledge than do I regarding the possibility of Fiers pine-tarring. But those photos, assuming they are not adulterated, are concerning, which is why I posted them in this thread.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

That's my point. I'm not taking away from the no-hitter! I'm not saying he was cheating! I'm. just. saying. it. looked. like. he. used. pine. tar.

15. conquistador#11

they had a roundtable, a couple of retired players, said they preferred it when they used pinetar because the pitcher didn't know where the baseball would end up either.

Back to fiers, well deserving. performance of a lifetime. Feldman, Mchugh, fiers are pitching remarkably.

16. kaleidosky

If you're not trying to take away from the no-hitter or calling it cheating, it's pretty odd to start a thread on Fiers winning player of the week with (message in entirety):

Not sure what that accomplishes besides trying to take away from it in some manner. But if you really just wanted to mention that randomly, then fine--yes I watched the game and saw the pictures. Thanks for posting

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

But before you posted the pic, you say

"so clear he was pine-tarring, lol"

You are clearly trolling, on a thread simply about him being awarded POW

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You said you saw him put his fingers directly on that part of his glove so tell me where in the game that happened. I watched very closely, never saw him do it once.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Fair enough (for the record I had you confused with someone else that trolls with a name with numbers and letters) . I have watched a ton of baseball and saw the game. I don't recall any pitches that had unusual movement on them. I'm not saying the pictures were doctored but two photos over the course of the game don't really mean a whole lot without more specific evidence. There is no telling what is on the glove if there is something and it isn't a glare or shadow. If they have a series of photos where he is rubbing that particular spot over and over then maybe, but when the MLB, and the Dodgers say there wasn't anything fishy going on that is all I really need to know. Add to that the fact that the photo came from a Dodger fan and you won't see me putting a lot of stock in the accusations.

1 person likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I'd like someone to explain the functional difference between pine tar and rosin+sweat.