1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's not a totally merit-less position. Hoyer is at his best within 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage. But that's true of EVERY QB, and especially young QBs. And I think Bobby is giving way too much weight to deep passes. Situation, far more often, dictates those than strategy. Again, Brady, in an offense that birthed this one, threw 16 30+-yard passes last year.

Where I disagree with him is on Hoyer's experience. I think it's promising but limited with space to grow; he seems to have drawn a fairly declarative conclusion from what's just a tick over a full season's worth of data. To be fair, Bobby is fairly quick to draw long-term conclusions on virtually every young QBs so, you know, at least he's consistent. In fact, I remember last year, him suggesting the Texans starting a young QB was grounds for tanking the season. Who was that QB, btw... anyone remember?...

2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at Hoyer's game log from last year has me even more optimistic. He led his team, the ****ing Browns sans Josh Gordon, to a 6-3 record before meeting up with the nasty Houston D.

Clearly, our D demoralized him, sending him into a downward spiral to close out the year.

Luckily, he won't be facing that D this year.:grin:

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mallet!

The problem with this dink and dunk stuff is that it's such a casual ignorant radio call-in fan position.

I mean it's true Hoyer doesn't have great arm strength, but his first year as a starter he averaged 7.6 y/a. That's very solid no matter who you are.

It just isn't backed by any statistic or scouting report.

4. Hey Now!

No one should expect anything beyond "serviceable" from Hoyer. Having said that, there's enough past performance to suggest that, with a competent coaching staff and better overall talent, he might be a in favorable situation.

I wouldn't bet any money on it happening - but the idea of Hoyer posting a 90-92 QB rating isn't inconceivable. Likely? That's another story...

5. Hey Now!

He was actually *really* good last year (through nine weeks). I don't know why he dropped off the final five - might be the NFL caught up to him; might be his inferior coaches/teammates eventually swallowed him up... But those first nine games... they were impressive.

6. Airdough

Airdough Member

Exactly. Hoyer fell apart when Gordon got back and they tried force feeding him the ball. Hoyer is better off spreading the wealth which he can do in this offense. Im far more worried about the offensive line than I am Hoyer. Without time to throw or the ability to provide a credible running threat, this offense is sunk. When people realize that Brees, Brady, Manning, etc. aren't walking through that door, the better off they'll be as fans. It's August, let the season play out a little.

7. crose

Supporting Member

I have a friend that is an avid Browns' fan. He explained that the team wasn't the same after losing their pro bowl center, Alex Mack, against the Steelers in week 6(?). They were destroyed by the hapless Jags the next week, but then were able to reel off 3 straight(albeit 2 of the Ws against the Raiders and Bucs) heading into the matchup against us.

Anyway. I was aware that Hoyer started off great last year, so I am optimistic that he will be somewhat serviceable after teaming up with BOB.

8. Mr. Clutch

Pretty much agree with this. Unlikely he has a 90+ QBrating. But overall I think he'll be more consistent and reliable than Fitz.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Playoff Schwab
    [​IMG]

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Just bc you have a low yap, doesn't mean you can't be a gunslinger. A gunslinger is someone who takes shots and doesn't play conservative. Fitz will go for it even if the odds of completion are low.

When he played in Buffalo, who were his targets? Stevie Johnson? There needs to be someone on the receiving end capable of catching the ball with reliability for the QBs ypa to go up.

For once in Fitz's career, he had competent players, played under normal weather conditions, and had a coach that knew wtf he was doing. And the results were that Fitz had efficient numbers all around…it can't be taken away from him that he had a 2:1 TD to INT ration, 95 rating, and a YPA that ranked in the top 4 in the NFL. Sure, he may leave a lot to be desired, but while he was with the Texans, he did much better than people give him credit for. After all, Fitz did say he learned more about football in his one year here than in his entire career.

Now, the question is, what can OB and this offense do for Hoyer? Hoyer SHOULD have a season that was at least equal to what Fitz did last year. And if that's the case, then we should be a 10 win team this season.

11. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I agree although a dink and dunk gunslinger like Fitzpatrick is pretty much the worst of both worlds.

12. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Sickening to watch this organization pewk all over itself by bringing in these retread back up QBs and selling them to the fans as starting QBs. O'Brien and McNair should be ashamed of themselves

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't read the entire thread, but first 2 pages didn't mention....
    Big part of the announcement is O'Brien's 8 week plan.

He basically said Hoyer wouldn't be starting if he was subpar for week after week.

That should be respected, same way he date'd Clowney's return.

14. baubo

baubo Member

He dropped off because Sam Mack their stud center went out for the season and their running game went from being dominant to crap. Hoyer's much different when he's actually asked to "do stuff" as opposed to just handing off most of the time and throw some play actions here and there. In this he's similar to Schaub except much worse.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Alex*.

You old school basketball fan, you.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

In 2009, the Texans had the 3rd worst rushing offense (Slaton, Moats, Brown) and Schaub led the league in passing.

#stoprevisionisthistory

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I asked this earlier in the thread and got crickets.... any of you brave souls want to take a stab at it?

What will it take from Hoyer this year for you to personally accept him as:

A) The 'right' decision to start over Mallet this season

B) A viable long-term plan at QB

No nebulous/vague/qualitative answers please.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'll answer the 2nd part first. He's not a long term plan. He was never meant to be and he's not going to be. He's a placeholder, simple as that. That question is irrelevant.

And I'm not sure you can answer the first part either. If Hoyer loses the job and Mallett comes in and does better, then yes, you can look back and say it was the wrong decision. But if that doesn't happen. If Hoyer does enough to keep the job the whole year (and doesn't get injured) then you're not going to have enough information to answer the question because you won't know how Mallett would've done. I guess the only way to definitively say Hoyer was the "right" decision is if Mallett gets a chance to play and does worse.

But for me, if the team does what it's expected to do (8-8, +/- 1), then I won't second guess the decision.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That is a non-answer. You fail.

Well, looks like you just did. Although you did it using the least applicable QB performance metric possible.

People are having a hell of a time answering this question it seems. I guess everyone wants to reserve the right to b****/be angry.

20. crose

Supporting Member

A) I'm not a Hoyer hater, so as long as I don't turn into one, then it will have been the right choice. What will make me a Hoyer hater? If the team loses winnable games and I feel as though the QB play is the prime reason for that. As long as he can move the chains, lead us to a reasonable mix of TDs/FGs while limiting TOs, then I will be happy. I enjoy watching the defense play more anyway, so I feel like them being able to live up to my expectations (being a tier 1 D) will have far more influence on how our season turns out.

B) If the precursors of A are exceeded and Hoyer has a full season like the first half of his 2014, then I will be excited to have him as our starter in 2016.

#580 crose, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015