1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do NBA teams/players point shave and fix games?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hakeemthagreat, Jun 9, 2016.

1. hakeemthagreat

I've had my suspicion of the NBA for a long time (yes I'm about to go full conspiracy mode). But watching the best players from a game to game basis, I've noticed a certain level of disinterest & carelessness in each game. For instance, Golden State has played great, but lost I think game 2 or 3 of each of the last 2 series. Even though he played out his mind the previous game, I noticed in these losses Curry's had uncharacteristic turnovers in the 1st half of each of these games. These were primarily unforced turnovers. One turnover is understandable. But 2 or 3 of the same type turnovers in the 1 half of a playoff game? For someone who's not even known to turn the ball over?

I can also recall two playoff series with James Harden, the one in the finals with OKC, and the other against OKC with us. Both these series Harden literally did stuff that had me scratching my head. One play against OKC, I remember specifically, the game was on the line and Harden is by the baseline, he dribbles a few times and just throws the ball out of bounds to nobody even without looking. Do you guys notice this too? I know all players make dumb mistakes. But for players that go through game tape, studies tendencies of their opponent, has practice walk thru's, how can one go through a NBA game and just HAND the other team the ball? How do your star players look so disinterested like KD did that game OKC blew against GS? Also remember the fake elbow injury Lebron had in the playoffs his first stint w/ Cleveland.

My question is do star players purposely throw games/point shave? Do you think it's possible? If so, would the reasoning be to expand a playoff series for $$$? Could it be betting? If that were true then the NBA, ESPN, TNT, NIKE etc. would all be in cohoots then right? My main question is IF this existed who would be the mastermind?

2. MistaK

MistaK Member

I doubt that the NBA, TNT, ESPN, et al. would be in this together. I could see players here and there/refs being offered money to throw games, etc...maybe some players/refs will go for it - that doesn't mean that anyone else is in on it...I just don't see that all of them being in this together .

For players looking disinterested - this sometimes comes down to the flow of the game, players maybe overthinking things, trying to do what is best for the team and not wanting to step on anyone's toes.

As for Curry. He might not be known to be a TO guy, by the casual fan anyway, and the media clearly don't talk about it a lot, but fact is that he has always been a high TO guy. GS going into last season had one goal --> reduce their TOs and Curry's TOs.

3. hakeemthagreat

I agree. Guys are going to make turnovers during the flow of the game. My thing is back to back turnovers doing the same thing concerns me. It's not just Curry though. Curry, Lebron, KD & Harden are a few I've questioned

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

When Mo Williams stole the ball from Lin, I knew Lin took money from Adam Silver

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yes, I'm sure players with the massive egos they have would be perfectly fine ruining their legacies by point shaving and throwing games.
    You realize these world class players are playing against world class defenders and world class defensive units?

6. hakeemthagreat

Have you watched any of the games? Some of these turnovers are unforced. Plus there our only so many "world classed defenders" to go around. Try again

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

It's so obvious, anonymous internet guys. Those off shore mob-types have MORE than enough money to convince a point guard making $15 million a year that he needs just a few extra thousand to make it until next Friday's payday.

Open your eyes, sheeple.

1 person likes this.
  8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

history repeats itself, and certain situations makes players to not be focused, which is why home games provide an advantage over playing at home games usually. also there is emotions when a team loses a player, usually the first game, that team will over perform. there's a lot of stats like this, players aren't robots so they're subjected to the same distractions as you and I.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

What would be the point for players to shave/throw games etc and especially for Curry since that who you named in the OP?

They make millions of dollars off of NBA contracts and endorsements so why risk it to just shave/throw games for gambling purposes?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

it definitely happens in college games for obvious reasons but I'm indifferent on the level and magnitude as far as the Pro level.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't think it's the players.

But for 15 years I've had a pretty strong feeling that the front office likes to ..... as they might call it.... 'create optimal conditions for the most beneficial outcomes'.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Players taking drugs to enhance their performance? Sure
    Referees betting on games and making calls based on it? Sure
    Referees getting instructions about calling certain players / teams a certain way? Sure
    Referees letting star players play for entertainment purposes? Sure
    League office assigning certain referees and doing everything in their power to get the outcome of a game and series they seek? Possibly
    Players purposefully losing games and fix them? No, I'm not ready to go that far

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Welcome back, KD!

It doesn't make sense for players to shave. But if you're sure you're going to win the series, sometimes it does make sense for franchises to half-ass a game or two. More games = more revenue. Still, usually it's more important to just beat the other team.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Refs maybe, but I don't believe star players would take money to intentionally lose. Curry is simply not that good, hence the repeated suckage. icecreamman has proven in his thread that Curry aint even the real MVP.

15. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

In professional playoffs? Hell no, cmon.

I just can't relate to conspiracy theorists.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It makes more sense for the fringe players or referees, who don't make millions.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly .. . . . I agree

The thing is .. .. as a betting person
    I know I only need 1 or 2 plays a game

If I owned a Ref . . . If he can give me 2~3 Calls . .. . I'm good

3 quick fouls on Draymond Green in the first. . changes the whole game
    Even if I 'make up for it' later

Rocket River

18. DreamWarrior

DreamWarrior Member

lol at anyone who doesn't think pro sports and politics are rigged :rolleyes:

LET'S GO

[​IMG]

19. DreamWarrior

DreamWarrior Member

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I think people underestimate how close NBA players play to their edge of the ability on a consistent basis. The defenders are so good and so quick that decisions and passes have to made in a split second decision or by instinct. So James Harden may decide to throw a lob pass to Dwight just by a quick glance at the basket even before seeing Dwight actually making a move. That's the only way to get the way past the defenders. However, when you're that close to the edge, you inevitably make mistakes sometimes. So that lob pass looks like a pass to no one if Dwight wasn't expecting it.

Think about how often NBA players fall when trying ot make a shot or a layup near the basket. These are elite athletes with incredible strength, flexibility, and coordination, yet they fall on the floor 50 times more often than any pick up games. In order to get past other elite players, NBA players are pushed to their limit almost every time down the floor.