1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's Popularity on the Upswing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2016.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama has been taking a beating recently from not just Republicans but also from many who are more liberal. Obama has seen a rise though in his approval ratings and now matches Reagan's in his last year of office.

http://courier-tribune.com/news/national/obama-s-popularity-upswing-problem-gop

WASHINGTON — As if Republicans aren’t having enough problems, several new polls indicate an additional one — an upswing in the public standing of President Barack Obama.

The popularity of the incumbent president often has had a measurable effect on how elections turn out. If Americans have a more favorable image of the current occupant of the Oval Office, they’re more likely to keep his party in power.

Obama’s approval rating now is almost identical to that of President Ronald Reagan in his final year in office — the last time the incumbent’s party won a third election in a row.

The evidence for Obama’s improved standing comes from several sources. The latest Gallup survey, for example, finds Obama’s job approval at 50 percent, his highest rating in almost three years. Similar findings come from the latest NBC/Wall St. Journal and Washington Post/ABC surveys.

The Washington Post/ABC poll found 51 percent of Americans approving of Obama’s job performance, with 43 percent disapproving. His rating in that survey was the best since shortly after his re-election in 2012.

None of the shifts are large. Because of the intensely polarized nature of today’s politics, Obama’s popularity has fluctuated less than most of his predecessors. But the difference between a president with 50 percent job approval and one with 46 percent approval could matter in a close election.

Obama’s improvement mostly reflects a warming trend among his fellow Democrats, Gallup found. The president remains very unpopular among Republicans, and his standing among independents remains tepid. But his standing has gone up 6 points among Democrats since the start of the year, a shift that could improve the party’s turnout in the fall election.

The Gallup survey was conducted Feb. 29-March 6, among 3,563 American adults and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points. The Washington Post/ABC survey was taken March 3-6 among 1,000 adults and has an error margin of plus or minus 3.5 points.
    - See more at: http://courier-tribune.com/news/national/obama-s-popularity-upswing-problem-gop#sthash.OO8bvAZZ.dpuf

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A president gets their best rating when they are doing little.

3. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I read. I read a lot. So it's not like I just have a preconceived idea or anecdotal idea about Obama's presidency. I don't read to favor Obama more or to have displeasure towards him. I read because I'm a fan of facts and want to know what is really happening or isn't happening. I read what I feel I'm obligated to read, and once that is done I come up with my own judgement.

Obama is a good President and will be regarded as such in due time.

It's all about having an open mind and not letting emotions do the thinking for you. You do that, and you'll see this as true for yourself.

1 person likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His popularity rises as everyone realizes who their choices will be for the next president.

2 people like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Obama will be remembered fondly in the future.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly, I would vote Obama a third term if I could.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Obama was one of the best. Americans won't know what they had in him until he is gone.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

actually we didn't know what we had while we had him ;)

he promised honesty and transparency, but he gave us the opposite.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J4AJ843ERnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yii1h8_w3zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#8 ipaman, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Obama prepares to leave Texas after Austin apperance

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DhcRxVd4qrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The funny and sad thing about his ratings is that they have always been substantially higher than the bugbear that is Congress which I believe is still hovering around 10%.

1 person likes this.
  11. Anticope

Anticope Member

If that's the case then the approval ratings for Congress should be sky high.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Like nominating a Supreme Court Justice?

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Obama enjoying a nice visit to Austin today for a SXSW speech.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

haha.

That's pretty freaking cool, too. I never thought about it, but the president's driver should be at the level of a pro stunt, car driver.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

History will remember Obama as a much better president than Reagan.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That was my thinking. When you see the confederacy of dunces proposing to be president, you come to realize Obama's better than you thought.

17. ipaman

Thread Title should be renamed, "Obama's transparency on the Downswing," except the thread would be about 7 years too late.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thread should be renamed "random lone crank tries to get attention while others discuss other stuff"

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is DOPE!!!

I think Obama will go down as a president that faced one of the most hostile oppositions in our history. Most of what he accomplished was in his first two years and then he was stonewalled for the last 6.

20. ipaman

Am I in the Obama Circlejerk Club?

Nah, it's D&D.