1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about Omer Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by exagg, Jan 1, 2013.

1. exagg

exagg New Member

Hello, I am from Turkey,

Proud of the performance of Omer Asik What do you think about the positive and negative?

I opened a topic on this subject in order to not see. I'm sorry if I opened the wrong place in advance :)

2. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Positive
    Excellent Defender
    Shows signs of unassisted offense (he made a jump shot today, never thought I'd see the day...)
    Great Rebounder
    Improved FT%
    Runs the floor, puts himself in a position to receive the ball
    Decent, willing passer

Negative
    Stone Hands (requires perfect passes in traffic)
    Not much in terms of offense
    Sets subpar screens
    and again, stone hands.

Considering many people considered Omer Asik one of the summer's most overpaid players, the fact that today his contract is considered a bargain goes to show how we feel about him as a player.

3. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Once Omer realizes he is bigger than everyone else and could probably dunk every time he is in the paint watch the hell out NBA.

5. conquistador#11

although at times he is an assist serial killer, Asik is all star worthy.

6. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

when he propels his game to the next level rockets will become unbeatable...

7. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

I like how he uses his forehead hair to aim the basket :)

welcome on board!

1 person likes this.
  8. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

We like him, to put it simply. People weren't sure before the season due to the size of his contract, but he's done very well. Insane rebounder and good defense. Offense is getting better too, respectable given his defensive abilities. Needs to get better at grabbing passes though.

9. Viola

Viola Member

He is handsome so some Asian fans would like to call him "Guanxi-Gor"(Edison Chen) :

[​IMG]

:p

10. Dei

Dei Member

The guy's fantastic. Definitely top 5 at his position. Let us know if you've got any more like him.

11. Viola

Viola Member

To be serious, he has no all star potential but no doubt he is one of the best pieces you would want to have in your contending team. A great paint defender, good rim protector and great rebounder, bad hands, really poor finisher(compared to other bigs). If he can express himself more clearly & completely in his interviews I will love him more probably.

12. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Omer Asik plays a very important role on both sides of the court. McHale has said it many time good defense is where the fast-break starts.

13. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Harden is the best player in the Rox, but Asik is the most important player of the team (considering the way we play.)

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great! All this AOF'ers are going to take over.

15. hlzhuo

hlzhuo Member

sui ran bu zhi dao ni zai jiang shen me, bu guo hao xiang hen li hai de yang zi.

16. mesta

mesta Member

Others have pointed asik's strong points. So i will point areas in which asik can improve, to avoid redundantcy
    Weakness
    Inexperience
    The fact that he could shut down tim duncan in one game and ineffective in next game show this. But timmy is one of the best hopefully asik will learn something

Stamina
    Fortunately greg smith is a capable back up. But this why i believe asik will get better next year

Offense
    Most of our points come from the perimeter and lay ups because asik sometimes fumble or unable to finish. I would like him to able to catch the ball and acquire post moves. Jumper is needed to stretch the floor or when defenders clutter the paint, but limited to 2 jumpers per game

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

With all respect to his improved free throw shooting and good conditioning to handle starter minutes, his defensive efficiency drops this season and he's below average on offense. Our fast pace and weak rebounder at 4 provide more opportunities for rebounds.

He's more valuable to us because he brings something unique to our team, but a lot other teams either have more established or better centers, or they have youngsters with more potential, especially if you consider players like Duncan, Nene, Varejao who actually plays center these days, and out of nowhere Young players like Vucevic, Drummond are improving rapidly.

Fair contract around the league but good value to us.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

He is my favourite!

19. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

This pretty much sums it up. He has a lot of upside. If he can develop his post moves and hands, he'll be a top 5 center in this league in couple years.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Like pretty much everything he does on defense. Great in transition and cleaning up the boards on offense. Showing lots of development on offense