1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Tracy McGrady's new attitude

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bluerap04, Feb 22, 2008.

1. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

I have never been one to knock Tmac for his attitude and commitment, because I've always seen his value to the team. That said, it has always been in the back of my mind that something about his demeanor just isn't right.

Tonight against the Hornets, Tmac has looked as positive as I have ever seen him in recent years, right from the tipoff.

Lately he's even been calling himself out! When have we heard or even imagine Tmac ever saying, and I quote, "I've been sucking."

One promising proof of his newfound attitude is that he will be stepping onto the court 30 minutes or so before every game to prepare his shot, as he stated earlier today. Such a routine will be new to him, and if tonight is an example, it will prove very valuable.

He's clearly fired up about this team, and I can't wait to see what develops!

Look out West!
    :D

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he was pouting for the first half of the year, and the Rockets players did exactly what you do when that happens, you ignore it, and play hard....eventually that player will come around....

And as a lot of people said, this team needed a motivated TMac......

11 in a row and counting....WOOT !

DD

3. donbis

donbis Member

They said he has been comin out and doing that shooting warmup the past 3 games i think.

4. marciagong

marciagong Member

And he also said that his teammates had been getting athletic, so he had to work hard to match up with them. Basically he's been complementing his teammates and calling himself out a lot lately.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Yeah I know! I've followed him since his Orlando days and this is the first time I've heard that he actually arrived early for pre-game warm-ups
    I have to say, this is the most mature I've ever seen him, and especially lately where he's actually calling out himself, which he hardly ever does.

Hopefully this means that he's starting to get whats required of him as a true leader-whether thats through more vocal leadership (which he is starting to exhibit more than ever) or playing with confidence and aggression that is contagious. Like Bill said, he established his will on the game from the very beginning-and looked what happened!

6. cyjtsj

cyjtsj Member

when Tmac open up his sleepy eyes,every team should be careful
    cuz it means King back................

Cheer for the 11 straight

7. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

If that were indeed true, I think much of the props should go to Adleman, he's put together a really focused team, down to every single last player on the bench. Gotta love it.

8. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Love this T-Mac! :D

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

What really impresses me is that he's on the floor half an hour before the game practicing him jumper with Yao.

10. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Man, they are great players, but they should be like bread and butter, like Kareem and Magic, Like Scottie and Michael.

I think anything to bond them, whether it's both of them shooting together, or hanging out or going together to a restaurant, they should do it.

11. marciagong

marciagong Member

And he's doing post-game workouts together with Yao as well. :)

12. RocoRocket

RocoRocket Member

Maybe hes just happy the Rockets got rid of the suck @$$ dead weight, Bonzi, Mike James and Snider. ;)

13. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Good points. I think that, given the good and the bad of it, it was necessary that the two slacked off somewhat as a super duo so that the team could really develop as a whole into the beast they are today (not to say that it was an intentional thing). Now that we play as a TEAM even with Yao and Tmac having great games, the two can regain their status as one of the most potent 1-2 punches in the NBA.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Maybe this is all a lead up to an interview with Stephen A. Smith in April where he says "if the team doesn't get out of the first round this year it's everybody but me. IT'S ON EVERYBODY BUT ME!" :p :D :D

15. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

In addition, T-Mac according Bull on the telecast said "he's been lagging behind his teammates (in the new found fastbreak offense) and that he needed to pick it up!" Boy, did he pick it up tonight!

Key play for me was in the first quarter there was a play where T-Mac came down and did a slight hesitation like he might slow up into the half court set up instead, he kicks in a gear and tomahawks a thunder dunk and you kind of saw a major momentum swing where NO had no answer for T-Mac.

If this is a foreshadowing of things to come, call me crazy but, we might not lose hardly any more games the rest of the season.

We are starting to show the earmarks of what it takes to be a championship caliber team. Everyone is playing team ball both offensively and defensively. We're getting unsung hero contributions from rookies during this winning streak. We're winning just with championship type offense efforts when the D has been a little off and we're winning with championship style defense MOSTLY!

Hard to critique really anything the Rockets did wrong. Just a total domination and we flat overwhelmed the Hornets tonight.

I dare ESPN to not give us top segment billing after this game. Maybe the Rockets start to get a little respect but, you know what I'm fine if they keep drumming up everyone else because, that means they're just in denial. :D

Super effort tonight! T-Mac played like Superman! Unbelievable! :eek:

16. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

After Yao left with 7+ minutes, the whole Rocket started fooling around with no defense (including TMac), which provided a 8-2 run to the opponent.

17. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

Gee, here's a concept....

Just maybe this is the best his back has felt in awhile, and the bone bruise in his knee has healed. Oh, and with his knee no longer hurting, he's been able to get more fit, running up and done the court. Being a competitor, and realizing what he's being paid for, he's stepping it up! Seeking out advice from his trainers and coaches, and doing what he needs to do. Realizing that with this coach, and this group of players, it can be done.

Could it be possible that McGrady's new attitude.....is new found health?

:rolleyes:

18. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

That's actually a pretty darn good point.. good health can do wonders for your quality of life.

19. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Seen it many times before, unfortunately, history tells us that it won't last.

20. tsunami

tsunami Member

Well, that's typical TMAC. When he thinks the team has hope to win in the season, he plays high; Otherwise, he quits. I wish he keeps fighting no matter how the team perform, just like Yao, aways put 100% effort. Remember, you are the leader, if you quit then this team just falls apart.