1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emergence of Terrence Jones the silver lining?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jason0215, Jul 26, 2014.

1. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Yeah, let's point the finger at Beverley for letting his team down last year. He only had a 105 degree fever for over half the series and he only went to the hospital once, so that obviously didn't effect him.

2. basketballholic

There is no defensive answer for the Spurs offensive ball movement. None.

The answer is even more efficient offense with elite 3-point shooting and a dominant pick-and-roll combo.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "volume" comment was made in order to exclude people like DH12 who know they aren't long range don't shoot from deep ever. If we were going to include guys like that, Jones' jumper wouldn't look so bad by comparison.

Let me put it differently. Among guys who behave as if they should bee shooting from deep., if you took a video camera and filmed one video of them shooting a single jumper, and showed it to a jump shooting guru, he would find most fault with Jones.

He definitely chucks less than Josh Smith. But I think if you asked Jones, smith, and Howard, "If you have an open three pointer, is it a good idea for you to.shoot it?", Dwight's answer would be, "No" while Jones and Smith would both say, "Yes". That is the only degree to which I intend to lump them together.

The fault with Smith and Westbrook is more in their head and when it is a good Idea to launch it, than in the mechanics of physically moving the ball from their hands to the hoop.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Jones is not a 3 point jacker at all. He shoots it out of necessity more than desire, and seems to hesitate a lot. Smith shoots it as though he thinks he's Steph Curry. Jones took 590 shots inside 10 feet and 140 outside 16, Josh Smith took 600 shots inside 10 feet and 550 shots outside 16, they aren't even close to comparable. Almost everyone who ever supported a team with Josh Smith has wished he would take a 4:1 ratio of inside 10 to outside 16. You really need to stop listening to bbassketballaholic

If you asked Smith, he'd say yes, if you asked Jones, he'd say "do i have to?", with Westbrook you just ask if you have the ball, is it a good idea to shoot?

#144 Aleron, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

1-2 threes a game is jacking up 3s!

6. Aleron

He upped his number to 3.4 this last season and with an even worse percentage

Like a Boss

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if you actually read what I wrote, as every word of my last post was specifically about how I'm not calling him a "three point jacker"at all. I'm saying he is a guy who considers shooting 3's to be a part of his game. Maybe give it another read?

I'm not taking issue with when or how often Jones shoots the ball, as I do with Smith and Westbrook. I'm taking issue with the physical process that occurs after Jones has decided to shoot, up until the time it comes out of his hands.

#147 Ottomaton, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  8. basketballholic

I do not dispute any improvement. But I'm also not going to look at players in a vacuum either. Understand what happened here. _ones was given the job by default. Asik farted away the beginning of the season and there was only _ones, DMo, and Casspi to choose from. McHale, for whatever reason, chose _ones. Even though _ones had done nothing up to that point to distinguish himself above either DMo or Casspi. That is facts.

So somebody had to get minutes and _ones got the minutes. And anybody with an NBA body and some sort of basketball skills will "improve" playing on a playoff team next to the best center and shooting guard in the game.

I consistently complimented _ones when he played well last season. Look it up. But I was realistic, as I am being realistic today. Without a developed, consistent, accurate jump shot, Terrence _ones CANNOT and WILL NOT be the answer for us at the 4. You can talk to kingdom come about how much "better" he's going to be this year. Just let me see him shoot a few jump shots and I'll be able to tell you whether he is making strides towards being the long-term solution at the 4 for us playing alongside Harden and Howard. Our PF has to be able to shoot the basketball!! It's that simple! And up until now...._ones has proven that he cannot shoot a basketball. Period. When that changes you can wake me up on how I feel about _ones. Prove to me he can shoot the freaking ball. Let me see it.

9. Remii

Remii Member

An extra rim protector would not have helped the heat. The Spurs were making it rain from the outside.

If the dog eats your homework you'll still get an F...

10. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Its Asketallholic until it is proven you have a clue about basketball

12. Aleron

13. basketballholic

Son, I've forgot more about basketball than you'll ever know.

:grin:

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

You need to ignore _asketballholic. He constantly trolls the Jones threads talking like he's an authority on basketball. When the rockets drafted Capela he called him a pile of poo and just said the other day he said that Canaan is better player than Lin ect. Go figure.

15. basketballholic

Yeah I was harsh on Capella. I regret that one. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. I want to give him an opportunity to see what he can become....if we indeed keep him around.

But I don't regret the Canaan comments. I said last year after we drafted him that he was better than Lin. Sticking by that one. He is. You'll see. But he may be gone too.

And please...put me on ignore if you don't think I know what I'm talking about. I'd rather you not read my takes if that's how you feel.

But son,
    I've forgot
    more basketball
    than you'll ever know.
    :grin:

16. traveler

traveler Member

LOL

There is always a defense for any offense.

17. basketballholic

More offense.

18. traveler

traveler Member

lol

More defense then.

The team needs a stronger interior defense to go deeper into the playoffs. TJ has shown he can't do it.

19. basketballholic

That's true. But a better defender at the 4 won't be enough to deal with the Spurs 2014 ball movement. They were unstoppable. Only answer for them was to come back to the other end with more potent offense. That being 4 shooters on the floor that can flat nail the 3-ball with a couple big time finishers on the pick-and-roll.

20. traveler

traveler Member

lol

The Rockets can beat the Spurs now with what we have but in the playoffs and a series we would have a hole in the interior that Pop can and will take advantage of. He showed that by defeating the Heat. He made a simple but genius move by replacing Splitter with Diaw. It made the Spurs able to penetrate with ease the interior. Took Bosh out of the series too. All the ball movement in the world doesn't help if a team is not able to get inside and score. Well except to stand outside the perimeter and jack shots up.

We have to get stronger defensively inside. Howard has to get help. I like TJ and think in a few years he can develop enough to be effective but we don't have that much time.