1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Mavericks: Has the NBA ever seen a more delusional team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by okeezie, Jul 26, 2014.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are more delusional than the Mavericks. Thinking coaching doesn't matter.

1 person likes this.
  2. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Well, the SG position is quite weak right now, but I would say Klay Thompson is the best young SG right now but have a feeling Bradley Beal will emerge as the best in the next 2 years. Thompson is the best defensive SG for sure and he's really good off the ball, which is what a traditional shooting guard is responsible for...running off screens and getting open on the wing.

Also, with Lebron out of Miami, I have a feeling DWade will have a comeback season. Kobe is in that same boat as well. If DWade and Kobe can stay healthy, they are still the best SGs only because it's such a weak pool right now. I'm not saying Harden can't be the best, but I just think defense is a big part of the NBA that is often overlooked and Harden will need to at least be an average defender to be considered the best. If Harden works on his defense this offseason, then he could be the best shooting guard. I just am skeptical he is working on it. Maybe he needs to take defense off so he has the energy to play offense for 35+ minutes.

3. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The four most delusional teams in the NBA right now are the Rockets, Nets, and Clippers. All three are more delusional than the Mavs. All three consider themselves title contenders and talk about chasing rings the last few years but none have really done anything. I don't think the Mavs really are gloating that they are title contenders so I don't really see how they are all that delusional. I'm a Clippers season ticket holder and I will be the first to say that the Clippers are delusional. Doc Rivers is also delusional thinking that he is a master at winning rings when he's only won one as coach. He talks like he's Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich or something.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting thoughts.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

slestack11, who's your primary team? I've always wondered what it would be to like to have season tickets to another team while still being a Rockets fan.

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I'm just a general NBA fan overall, but since I live in LA, I have Clippers season tickets. I guess I'm a Lakers fan since I grew up with Magic/Kareem/Worthy/Scott/Green showtime Lakers team. But there's like a 5-10 year waiting list to get into the lower sections for Lakers season tickets, so that is why I go to mostly Clippers games. I don't feel I'm a troll, but I just like to have objective discussion about NBA teams and rosters. Everyone gets so emotional and immediately make personal attacks when I disagree that their favorite players aren't perfect. I was even called a troll on Lakersground a few weeks ago when I disagreed that they would be a #3 seed next season. The internet is such a funny medium for people to really say things they wouldn't ordinarily say, no matter how crude, if they were having a face to face conversation.

Just for history purposes, I migrated to this site originally to discuss Dwight Howard last offseason and why Rockets fans seem to be the only ones that were obsessed with acquiring him. Most other NBA forums fans were begging their team not to pursue him as he's such a terrible character guy and probably among the most unpopular players in the league...especially now that Lebron has redeemed some of his negative press.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas will score a ton and give up more. Personal stats will be inflated.

Bet the over on their game totals this next year...and the under as to season wins.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The only fans that didn't want Howard on their team are the ones that had no shot at him and were never in the running.

Mavs, Lakers, even the Hawks fans all wanted Howard then.

All the other fan forums were irrelevant because they never had a shot at him any ways.

9. andersongo

andersongo Member

Why are posters making fun of a team that is simply a match-up nightmare for the Roxs?

10. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

My boss has season tickets to the Clippers because their season tickets were a lot less inexpensive than the Lakers.

Many moons ago when I was in LA for training he took my husband and I to a Clippers game. We had an amazing time, that was the first time we saw Battier play - he was on the visiting team. Loved his playing style.

Sad to see him retire --

11. dude1394

dude1394 Member

Actually imo that is a pretty silly strategy. Wear your best offensive player out and risk foul trouble by putting him on the other teams best offensive player. Not really that smart to me. You have guys on the team who can expend that energy on defense since they are not counted on for that much offense.

you see some coaches do it for short stints because the other teams guy is killing them and typically the best player on your team is also usually one of the best atheletes. But it doesn't and shouldn't last for long.

12. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Yeah, it wouldn't be for the whole game...but just key moments like to close out quarters and the second half of the 4th quarter.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

::EDIT::

Oops. My bad.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Dude, Rudy had to be one of the most stubborn coaches of winning teams you will ever see. You are deluded here.

15. TheFreak

Hard to argue with this.

16. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I got my Clippers season tickets in 2000 when the Staples Center first opened. They used to play in the Sports Arena which was a complete dump. At the time, Michael Jordan even refused to play when they visited the Sports Arena because he said the rims threw off his game. Anyway, the Lakers just signed Phil Jackson to coach so they were sold out for longer than they could project. Clippers were having a buy one and get one free deal and it seemed pretty good. That was the year where they just drafted Darius Miles and had Corey Magette, Quentin Richardson, and Lamar Odom.

The Clippers games have more of a hip hop atmosphere with a DJ spinning as they are trying to cater towards the younger audience. The Lakers games are a different vibe as lots of people attend to hang out before hitting the town and hopefully see celebrities. Nobody wears those free shirts that they hand out at Lakers games as well because everyone has their $500 hipster t-shirts that they are sporting incase they can get a selfie with a celeb they run into. Also, as cheap as Donald Sterling is with his players, coaches and staff, he's actually quite generous to his season ticketholders. There are all sorts of free giveaways, events with players/coaches, and other free events. It's always been a gigantic ruse to distract Clippers season ticketholders from noticing that their team sucks. But now it's a sort of ironic situation where the Clippers are actually a playoff team. That said, my Clippers tickets are still about half the price of comparable Lakers tickets. They have sold out a ton of games like the Lakers, but it's not the same because tickets are cheaper.

17. TheFreak

CP started out as a defender above all. That's what was unlike Budinger which people liked about him. Once he had to carry more of a load on offense, his defense dipped. Gee, what other Rocket who happens to be making the max right now could we say the same for?

18. TheFreak

This is hilarious and embarrassing at the same time given which team's board it was posted from.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

And now we have posts claiming Dwight Howard is a terrible character guy and no team's fans in the NBA wanted him last year aside from the Rockets.

Somehow, there are Rockets fans agreeing with this notion. The self loathing is at an all time high.

Once again, truly amazing.

1 person likes this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I know, it's sheer lunacy. I don't think I've ever seen the collective mind set of the board so negative here (I've only been here five or six years, but still).

And this is by far the most "hated" Rockets team I've seen. Next season will be a treat, really looking forward to it. :)