1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mac Repair] Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Sep 29, 2014.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I have a Macbook 13" Pro that I bought in 2010. A few months ago, the Mac can't stay on without being plugged in, so the battery is shot. Under Battery status, it reads that it needs to be replaced now. I'm pretty busy, so I won't really have a chance to manually replace the battery.

Does anyone know of a computer/mac repair store in Houston that is able to replace the battery that may come at a low or reasonable price?

Thanks and will rep.

2. vstexas09

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

For jobs like that, just look on Craigslist.

Just buy your battery on Ebay and pay some guy locally to swap it out if you don't have the time. Should be relatively cheap.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What total cost (battery+replacement) would you consider cheap?

5. bobrek

One other thing, isn't the battery in a 2010 or earlier MacBook user replaceable?

6. vstexas09

Less than 175?

and yeah, i think it's replaceable; but i don't have the necessary screwdriver or tools to replace at the moment

7. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

In the hope that you'll just give up, walk with your head down to the nearest Apple Store, take out your credit card and buy a new one.

9. bobrek

I believe the Apple Store charges less than that for battery+replacement.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this seems all too complicated to replace a battery.

necessary screwdrivers?

you go to Apple, see if it's under warranty, and they replace it. (somewhere around $130)

I have done this three or four times over a 7 year period.

if it's not covered, you buy a new battery and it lasts another three or four years.

you press the two quick release buttons and put a new one in.

11. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Check out the link I posted. If the OP has the unibody macbook then its a lot more than just clicking the release tabs.

12. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Nice that it costs more for a battery to power a mac book than it does to replace a battery in a car. What a terrible company. Bend over, apple fan.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you're trying too hard.

I have never had to pay for a battery for a laptop I have owned since 2006.

14. likestohypeguy

If i ever ask another apple question, it's going to be phrased as "asking for a friend", because you can end up getting killed from both sides. Some because you claim to have a problem with perfection, then the rest get mad because you bought an apple product in the first place.

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Really, I wasn't trying at all. Regardless of cost, it's ridiculous that they make laptops with batteries that take more than 15 seconds to replace and that someone should even have to think about paying someone to replace a freaking battery.

16. trustme

trustme Member

if you have time to take it to a repair store you will certainly have time to replace it. very easy. you just need a specialized star shaped screwdriver, but it can also be done with a tiny flat head too. buy battery off ebay for ~$40.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then don't buy a luxury car either then. You have to have special tools to change the oil on a Mercedes too.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Always such useful contributions from those that neither have apple products nor any advice for how to deal with them. Always looking to make such a fuss. I don't get it. Why must you be so sour? Yeah, it'd be easier if it were a normal screw type. oh noes.

ifixit link to your model with step by step replacements, and links to triwing tool you'll need.

OWC video on the process...

Tri-Wing screws are pretty common in electronics. You can get bits and drivers from lowes, walmart, ifixit, amazon... etc. and they are used in many devices including Nintendo DS, gamecube etc.. My chevy needs a torx bit to remove the air filter but people don't whine about that. Maybe i should buy a new truck instead of getting a torx bit?

Do it yourself if you are confident in getting the right battery, which should be easy, and you want to save money, though you might try taking it to apple as sometimes they will replace them for nothing, depending on issue, model, and year.

The batteries can be somewhat expensive depending where you get it.

19. pd_

pd_ Member

where you located? just buy the battery off ifixit and i'll replace it for you. just pay me gas if you're far away. only takes like 10mins to replace if that

20. vstexas09

Thanks Dave, my uncertainty stems from getting the right battery. Otherwise, I really wouldn't mind replacing it myself. Also, I don't want to go through the hassle of buying a battery and replacing, if that's not the issue.

I'm willing to pay for the convenience of having a repair shop get the battery and replace it.

I guess my question is do you guys know of any reliable computer shops in Houston that can do just that?