1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher and Sam Harris arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 4, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I already answered your dumb question. Read, then post. Read this again: Read, then post.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You did not list a single specific action people should take to "stop this"

Stop being evasive.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you completely r****ded? Read what I posted: I do not have a specific call to action.

4. downbytheriver

You play a good peacekeeper. A good middle man. But you and I know the hatred will not dissipate unless the ME is completely isolated and cut off from the scapegoat that is the west. Until then, I see nothing wrong with a tagging system. Hmmm... son of Syrian ambassador, in and out of jail, weapons posession, devoted muslim shoots up parliament? How can you let that happen under your nose ? If you want to leave your homeland and practice your religion elsewhere, one that has not been able to co exist with the 21st century, you need to compromise on certain privacies elsewhere. Not really a big deal.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

downbytheriver, there is about the worst possible precedent in history for what you are suggesting. I am totally against anything like this - not sure if you are serious.

6. Apps

Apps Member

Again, you are trying to posit that ideology is the ends--but it is not. It is the means. The ends is an insular tribalism that is inherent to our species. That tribalism tends to express itself in overtly violent ways in places that view themselves as having been disenfranchised, cornered, under threat, etc. (i.e. post-WWI Germany, post-revolution France/Russia/China, modern MENA, etc.).

7. downbytheriver

Dark times call for drastic measures. No One is being exterminated. Just giving our feds a little work to do. And they could use it. I'm tired of the war, done with it, too many close to me have been affected, but if this country wants to remain in the ME in any shape or form you can bet your ass extremists will continue to attack us. Doesn't matter what a few small business owners like dmc tell them.

In order to CONTROL the cycle of hate and network of violence, you have to take CONTAINMENT measures. There is NO other way unless you do away with capitalism.

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

it is completely irrelevant. Just because Christianity was bad in the past is not an excuse for Islam to be bad today. Christianity has undergone internal reform, Islam has not, and I highly doubt it will be able to in the near future because the overwhelming opinion/interpretation of the faith is that Mohammad was the ideal human and anything that he did is acceptable.

The fact that he personally committed what we would today consider heinous crimes (even though it was during war) is enough to show that he is not an example people should be basing their lives upon (spiritual life is one thing - I won't argue that, but I am specifically talking about his actions, not anything spiritual).

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So you are asking people to think that Islam is a threat to their lives and that it must be stopped from spreading correct? That's it? Take no action, just see it as a threat and do whatever you can to stop it.

Very Orwellian. FEAR ISLAM EVERYONE!

Do you realize this is the very definition of xenophobia

You are not trying to change Islam, nor are you trying to stop these horrific practices. No, you are trying to get people to FEAR Islam as a threat.

"Oh my god, if these people come here they will take over our culture and turn us into Muslims".

You are a disgusting man. A xenophobic loser who uses a basketball forum to demonize 1 billion people. People like you need help.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You think I am trying to excuse Islam when I am really excusing Christianity and saying that can be a template for Islam to reform. Christianity was just as fervent about JC being ideal and anyone who disagreed or questioned in many cases were killed.

The more people like ATW carry on their crusade to contain Islam and make more people like downtheriver, the worse the situation will get. These radicals stem from isolation. Radicalism festers in closed dark places and then spreads as it finds impressionable victims to convert.

You break it out by engaging those areas where it festers. You fight Radical Islam not with weapons but ideas. And you can't do that unless you engage. You strengthen moderates and enable them to turn against those who favor taking them backwards.

Fact is most Muslims fear the extremists and want them to be defeated. Not by us, but by them.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is what ATW's true aim is here. To make people like this. ATW has no action he wants people to take. He wants to "raise awareness" so he can make as many people as possible fear Islam and move in this direction.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Again, you are a complete idiot. You ignore the post where I contradict downbytheriver and infer that I want to "make people like this". Anything to get some attention, right, no matter how much you are embarrassing yourself, and how obvious it is that you are completely making things up. Everyone can see it.

Exactly, you fight it with ideas. This is correct - even a broken clock (like you) is right twice a day. To fight it with ideas, you first have to realize and articulate why you have to fight it and which ideas of it are wrong, exactly, and why, and what idea is better in comparison to the idea/ideology they are following. Which is exactly what I am doing: I point out which ideas I find completely unacceptable. E.g., wanting to kill someone who wants to leave Islam, a belief that is sadly held by hundreds of millions of Muslims. Sweeping that under the rug is not going to help anyone.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Oh please. You are not here to call attention to the horrors of Islam. You are hear to tell us it is evil. Stop pretending you bigot.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's like arguing with a 5-year old.

15. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Your first point would be a relevant point, except for the fact that JC did not commit atrocities that he would likely be put in jail for life/be sentenced to death for in modern society. JC was a pacifist and none of his personal actions could be used to justify the heinous crimes his "followers" committed 100s of years after his death.

Also, you are really reaching at straws here... ATW states something specifically, then you say his goal is to do the opposite of what he originally stated. ATW's intentions really have no meaning in the debate, as long as his points are relevant and accurate. If you aren't debating his points, it seems it is to the point where you have lost the debate and continue to just attack him outside of the scope of the entire subject. Even if he was to hate Islam and want all Muslims dead it would have zero relevance to his argument that Islam as it is currently interpreted (by the majority of Muslims) is incompatible with a modern, secular society.

Can you at least admit that we have a point that those beliefs we mentioned previously and the actions by Mohammad were wrong and unacceptable, regardless of the circumstances? If you can't even admit that it was wrong for Mohammad to marry a 6 year old child or order the killing of several innocent civilians, simply for speaking out against him, etc then there really is no point to continue to debate you further.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

ATW will not address his agenda. He says he wants to "warn" people about Islam and "wake" people up that Islam is a threat and people need to "stop this". These are very strange code words and he won't explain further as to what he means. The obvious interpretation by someone like downbyriver is that means to contain Islam and prevent it from spreading - treating it like a viral disease of ideas. If you argue that Islam is a dangerous idea - that the Koran will corrupt the mind of someone who reads it and turns them into a violent zombie, I think you are going to a place that is actually what we in the modern world call a xenophobe.

7% of Islam is politically radicalized. 7%. That can not be used to condemn the other 93% as ATW is doing here. Muslims in America are the most pacifist group of all major religions in America.

Trying to link Muslims as violent based on one poll is xenophobic and a huge leap in logic. If you don't agree, I'd suggest you have your own bias as well.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

WTF are you talking about. Code words? Are you completely r****ded?

Source? How do you define "politically radicalized"? Is someone who says someone who wants to leave their ideology should be killed not "politically radicalized" in your book?

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are a despicable human being. Look at how much hate is in you. By the way, "r****d" is an insult used by 5 year olds.

#438 Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

from wikipedia - it doesn't take much to show the Xenophobe up.

Of course ATW will cherry pick from this to justify his views but won't ever address those facts which contradict him. We know how he operates.

#439 Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 25, 2014
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

First: Provide a link when you quote something.

Secondly, you are not "showing anyone up" except yourself.

Thirdly, if you look at the parts you posted (and of course cherry-picked the bolding), it says that only 55 % of Muslims said that the 9/11 attacks cannot be justified at all (plus an additional 12 % who said they can "almost" not be justified).

That means almost half of all Muslims, according to the source you posted yourself, say that the 9/11 attacks can at least somewhat be justified.

As to the honor killings, I have already posted the part of the poll that indisputably shows the strong correlation between wanting sharia and justifying honor killings. I'll post it again, just for you:

[​IMG]

Also, do you understand the statement "not strictly a Muslim phenomenon"? If you read it correctly, it means they are "mostly" a Muslim phenomenon. In fact, your own quoted part from Wikipedia says that a whopping 95 % of "honor killings" in the West are committed by Muslims. Surprisingly, you did not bold that part.

Now, to your 7 %. The key here is the authors' definition of "politically radicalized". From reading the Wikipedia blurb, they arrive at these 7 % by looking at who justifies 9/11 how much among Muslims. My definition is that anyone who even remotely thinks that flying planes with civilians into two buildings with thousands of peaceful civilians in them could ever in any way be justified, is "politically radicalized". The authors, however, arbitrarily disagree and apparently only define those as "politically radicalized" who seem to be sorry that they didn't fly the planes themselves.

No kidding - the labels are misleading, and wrong.

Again: Anyone who thinks that hijacking passenger planes and flying them into civilian buildings with thousands of people in them could ever, ever be justified - is not a "moderate" in my book.

Now, let's see what could motivate the authors of this book to try and pull wool over our eyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Esposito

Hmmm...let's see. He is the director of...what? Oh, the "Prince Alwaleed Center". Let's see. Oh, Prince Alwaleed is from...Saudi. He endowed that center with $ 20 million.

So...the guy who wrote that book and who is trying to make Muslims look as "moderate" as he can, even though, when you read even his own numbers right, they aren't - he is getting his checks from a member of the ruling dictator family in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia, which, as we all know, is home to the most extremist form of Islam, and from which lots of money has gone into funding ISIS.

Alwaleed is the guy who sued Forbes because he thinks they didn't state he is as rich as he really thinks he is. Moreover, he is a member of the ruling dictator family in Saudi, a shareholder of Fox News and Twitter, and he is also the guy whose cheque Rudy Giulani rejected after 9/11 because the Saudi prince suggested that 9/11 was really the USA's fault.

John Esposito has been actively badmouthing victims of Muslim violence and death threats, such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-l-esposito/global-muslim-war-on-christianity_b_1296330.html

Remember, this guy is paid by the Saudis. Allegedly, his institute, which was endowed with $ 20 million by Prince Alwaleed, has never ever been critical of Saudi Arabia or Saudi Islam - not once

Here is more about John Esposito:

More at this link.

I could quickly do more, but I think this is enough to show you very quickly that it helps to understand statistics and who created/published them, rather than posting blurbs from Wikipedia (without link) and bolding the wrong parts of it.

#440 AroundTheWorld, Oct 25, 2014