1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Asik was inserted into the starting lineup game 2. I would say that McHale might of actually rushed too quick to put Asik in the starting lineup instead of waiting too late (like folks here think).

People rag on McHale for not playing the TT more, and rag on Jones for his defense against LMA as if it was Jones vs. LMA for half the series. You know who actually played the most minutes guarding LMA in that series??... Dwight Howard.

People just need to give credit to Portland for that series. Yes Houston as a whole (other than Dwight), really didn't play well, but Portland simply were on fire against the Rockets. The Rockets win that series 7 times out of 10 normally. Its basketball. Sometimes you just run into a buzz saw.

Case in point. Back in the day growing up, I myself have been on fire, and beaten one of the Lakers current PG's in 21 more than once. Yeah he schooled my a#$ 9 times out of 10, but every once in awhile I just couldn't miss. Not comparing myself to LMA or Lillard, but you get the point... Its basketball.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Oh trust me lol I know dobro. Once I got hot couldn't nobody stop me either. That's why when I read comments like that from posters on here , I sit back and laugh my butt off. Especially when some actually thinks we suppose to advance past a certain round because of the Superstars we have. This was Hardens and Howards first season together. And to put blame on Mchale is ludicrous. Yes he made some mistakes, as every coach do. But its on the players to get out there and handle their business. Harden didn't show up to the party until game 3. He allowed Matthews to out perform him in games one and two. Chandler Parsons got out played by Batum and he missed a lit of point blank layups in that series. Oh Mr. Lin didn't call timeout like he was instructed to do. Better yet just hold on to the ball, they were going to foul you anyways.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Actually, Jones started games 1 and 2 where Aldridge averaged 44.5 points, and Asik started games 3-6, where Aldridge averaged 22.5 points.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes that's correct but Howard was guarding LMA most of that time. Asik would switch over when Howard went to the bench.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Only the team that loses the finals plays as many games as the NBA champion, generally.

Spurs were first in 3P attempts, but 10th in 3PA/game.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I just the NBA TV preview of the Hornets and I didn't know how dramatic their turnaround was but they mentioned the following: they went from 30th in defensive rating in 2012 to 6th in 2014 and credit coach Clifford for that. You can debate whether that's all coach, but consider this: coach McHale constantly complains about youth, they don't know what we're trying to teach them, it's difficult so we only implement a few sets etc. Coach Clifford was handed a terrible team with only young guns and a few veterans and made sure from day 1 they needed to play defense. It's tough, but he got the job done! That's the difference a coach can make. It's not McHale's fault he's inadequate but if he feels he cannot do it, step aside. Even more so, Morey should know better and see the kind of impact a coach can make. Think about that when you believe a coach does not make much difference.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Using the Hornets to attack McHale? This thread has been ridiculous for quite a while.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Reading problems, it's about a coaching impacting a young team. They are one of the best defensive teams in the league so..

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oh, well if a coach has impacted a team, obviously that relates to McHale. . . . I'm so sorry. Good job finding an example of a coach that impacted a team. This is real news!

11. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Listen you pompous prick, McHale not being able to get us to play top 10 defense is a serious concern and Clifford has accomplished to get Hornets to play top 5 with the likes of Al Jefferson, Kemba, MKG.. it's time for fans who defend Morey and McHale to realize this. You probably haven't followed the Rockets and Morey's views.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hey, ouch! "Pompous prick"? Sounds like you're the one who thinks he has all the answers. All I said was you did a good job breaking that news about the Hornets coach impacting his young team. Definitely let's make a close study of the Hornets.

In your expert opinion, do you think we can be as good as the Hornets this season?

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No you're just trying to get some good laughs and fake internet respect by sounding like a smartass and ignoring what I said. Why even bother to respond? Make jokes all you want, Clifford has turned things around in Charlotte. You give me a call when McHale does that for us, okay cellar dweller ;)

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's funny because your posts make me laugh all the time.

Now that i know you aren't being sarcastic its actually just sad.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Get over yourself.

16. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Just looking @ the team stats for the Hornets it looks like the big change was concentrating on defensive rebounding and low TOV. They had the fewest TOV(#1 from #8) and allowed the fewest opponent offensive rebounds(#1 from #25). Team offensive rebounds dropped (#25 from #18). DRB% (#1 from #29) and ORB% (#26 from #18). Pace (#21 from #17).

They get back on D(don't crash offensive boards).
    They don't leak out for fast break buckets(concentrate on defensive rebounds).
    Don't turn the ball over.

So Harden needs to stay back and concentrate on defensive rebounding instead of leading the league in fast break points. Harden and Howard need to cut down on live ball turnovers.

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Thanks for sharing, now doesn't that feeel good

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nothing is ever mchale's fault. his supporters and he himself never hold his coaching accountable for any part of any loss or any aspect of the team considered subpar. they cite problems with the players/roster, problems with injuries, morey's control from above, the assistant coach bailing on him, the tough conference, the "there's no better coach out there anyways" lie, the "but he's tight with kevin love" carrot, etc, etc. however his coaching is utterly flawless and any departure from that company line brings out the sniper guerillas, armed with a full arsenal of various trolling methods to distract and/or personally attack any and every poster here who violates their 'mchale's coaching is utterly flawless mantra'. even after the epic beatdown mchale suffered under one terry stotts, they still claw and scratch desperately trying to maintain their censorship on this forum. and with palms up they swear to clutchfans "everything is ok -- there are no bombs in baghdad right now"

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hey, I want REAL internet respect! I think it was quite brave when I debated you, considering that you have Morey-level basketball knowledge. I hope a lot of posters will recognize that and rep me for courageously trying to battle you.

So, do you think we should trade coaches with the Hornets? They did bag 43 wins last season, in the tough EC. . . .

20. steady

steady Member

In game 1, which went to OT, Asik played 12 minutes. In game 2, he played 24 minutes.
    I had forgotten there were 3 OTs in that series.