1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redbox [McDonald's DVD Rental Service]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave2000, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Like a hour ago, I brought my co-worker to McDonald's so he can get some lunch. When I pulled up to the parking lot, they had their DVD Rental service OUTSIDE. My coworker said that his McDonald's had the same thing. Took a look at it and pretty much is the same concept as the ones in the grocery stores discussed here a few months back. They mostly have new releases but not as good a selection as the ones in the grocery (in which I think is ran by The New Releases). Its was a pretty easy process, swipe the CC and get the movie. Same pricing, $1/day but have to be returned before 10pm instead of midnight as the one in the groceries. The nifty thing about it though is that I entered my email address, so you can be sent a reciept and when I got back to the office, I got the email already.

Wonder if anybody else came across one of these at your local McDo? The one I went to is off of Imperial Valley and Beltway 8.

I am curious how long it would last, since it is displayed outside and wondering how long before it gets broken into and/or vandalized.

Btw, there website is:

RedBox

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

It doesn't seem like they have any of those in Texas.

3. Dave2000

Its in Houston, they havent updated their locations on the website.

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Very weird. :confused:

5. Dave2000

6. Dave2000

They're finally advertising it and updated their website for locations that have this service:

Redbox.com

Plus enter the promo code "free" for a free rental.

7. superden

superden Contributing Member

yah, ive seen mcd's commercials with these redboxes in them

8. Dave2000

Another thing I forgot to add. The best feature about renting, you can rent one from one location and return it at another location. Thats really convienent for me since I live in the eastside of town, work north side (greenspoint), and hangout with my gf who lives in the Galleria area. Very convienent indeed.

:D

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I eagerly await their expansion to southern california. I live one block away from a Mcdonalds. It would be pretty sweet to get some new releases for a buck, watch them and then return them in the morning.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

there's one in the Mcdonald's on Fannin and 610, in front of the Sam's Club and across the freeway from the Astrodome.

11. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I heard there was a promo code FREE that would give you the first rental for free. I went and entered that code and I thought that it accepted it and showed the promo on the screen but when I got the email it shows the $1.08 charge and no promo. Its not a big deal, just a buck but I wanted to see if anyone used this promo and got it to work.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used one of these the other day. The cool thing about the Redboxes versus the video rental machines I have used at HEB is that the Redboxes seem to only stock the newer movies, and plenty of copies of them. Anytime I am at the HEB machine, all the new movies are checked out because they only keep one copy. I was able to get two just released movies from the Redbox.

On the other hand, the process of returning them was nowhere near as quick and painless as the HEB machine. I had two movies, returned the first one and everything registered even if it did sit their "processing" for 5 minutes. But the second movie never finished returning. I sat and watched the thing for 15 minutes tell me it was still processing the return. I called the number on the machine, no one answered, so I just left. Later on, I saw the email return receipt, so I know it worked. But that was kind of aggravating.

Another nice thing about the McDonald's machines is that you don't have to have your credit card to return the movies. HEB machines you have to have the same card to return as you used to rent. Makes it a little easier.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

it's all a ploy to sell more crappy food

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I hear each movie comes along with 700 calories.

15. Dave2000

Here are a few codes for free rentals

CASTIL7
    THOMAR
    AMYLOL
    WINZER

Basically, there is a referrel program at the moment for Redbox regulars and giving out free night rentals. Now these are just for one night rentals and each additional night, your charged a $1/night.

Good till Sep. 17th and works nationwide: Salt Lake City, Houston and Minneapolis-St. Paul.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Silly Dave. The brackets are supposed to come at the front of the title, not the back.

:D

17. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

I was just wondering....do they load the movies up with sugar so your body becomes addicted to it, like their food? :p

And, if you don't know what I'm referring to, rent Super Size Me (a selection that is SURE to not be available at the Redbox!).

18. omar23

omar23 Member

Here's another free code, that mcdonalds sent me:

ALIOMA

Good for one free rental, enjoy!

19. omar23

omar23 Member

Here's yet another free code that I forgot to post:

ALIMUS

Enjoy!

20. Dave2000