1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Utah Jazz fans aren't happy about Hayward...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Utah Jazz fans displeased with Gordon Hayward pick

By John Coon

Deseret News

Published: Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:15 p.m. MDT

SALT LAKE CITY — Seeing Gordon Hayward lead Butler to a pair of victories in EnergySolutions Arena last March en route to propelling the Bulldogs into the NCAA Tournament championship game thrilled local basketball fans.

However, the thought of seeing Hayward spending time in Utah on a more permanent basis did not, judging by the crowd reaction after the Jazz selected him with the ninth pick in the 2010 NBA Draft on Thursday evening.

A chorus of boos reverberated through the arena once season-ticket holder Forrest Fackrell read Hayward's name. A prediction by Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor that the fans would change their tune within two years was met with even louder boos.

Kamas resident David Taylor encapsulated the feelings of disgust felt by a large segment of the Jazz fanbase.

"I think it was a bad pick," Taylor said. "I can't believe it."

Taylor said that Utah should have gone for a big man who was still available, like Ed Davis or Patrick Patterson. After it failed to fill the need for a post player, Taylor thinks the team needs to aggressively target a free agent power forward or center next month.

"We definitely need some big bodies," Taylor said.

Some fans disagreed with the pick but trusted that maybe the Jazz coaches and front office could see something in Hayward that they were not seeing themselves.

"I wanted a center," Ogden resident Sarah Streeper said. "I don't think we need another forward. But I'm just a fan. I'm not Jerry Sloan. I have faith in it. I'll smile and cheer when I see him."

Still, not all fans walked away feeling like Utah had squandered away another first-round draft pick.

Ben Drabik, a Draper resident, was somewhat taken back by the crowd reaction because he thought Hayward had several qualities that fit nicely into Sloan's system back when he first saw him play here a few months ago.

"Everybody around me started booing, but I'm actually all for it," Drabik said. "I saw him playing when he was here for the NCAA Tournament. I thought he had a strong work ethic and a high basketball IQ — like they said on ESPN. So I think he's going to bring a lot of promise to the team."

Fan reaction to the Hayward selection reminded South Jordan resident Rick Kitchens of what happened when Utah drafted John Stockton.

Kitchens sees nothing but positives coming from bringing Hayward to Utah. He believes that the newest Jazz rookie will be the second coming of Matt Harpring — with a better offensive game.

"He's an athletic Matt Harpring," Kitchens said. "He's got the hustle in him. He's got the heart. He's got the talent. He's got the leadership. If we don't trade him or make some stupid move to get rid of Andrei (Kirilenko), he is a perfect fit to replace Matt Harpring."

e-mail: jcoon@desnews.com

http://www.deseretnews.com/art...yward-pick.html

2. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

if theyre not happy, then im happy :D

3. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Read: He's white.

1 person likes this.
  4. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Can someone posts the photos on the link...they're pretty funny..

Haha... Dirty Jazz fans. Carlos Boozer might leave and Okur who is coming back from the same injury that took down Elton Brand, and you organizations drafts the next Mike Dunleavy jr...

I hope the Clippers and Rockets beast them next season...

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like I've said many times, I don't get Hayward. He must have done very well in workouts.

6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Lol.

Postscript: "strong work ethic and a high basketball IQ"

7. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i thought he was draft too early

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Exactly, perfect fit for Utah. Good job Kevin O'Connor.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Anyone compared to Matt Harpering can't be good as a lottery pick.

10. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

Look at him... Could you imagine him in any other jersey but the Jazz? He looks like the b*stard offspring of Stockton/Hornacek.

Seriously though.... Any halfway decent player looks 10x better in Sloan's system. I think he will be good for the Jazz.

1 person likes this.
  11. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

They booed when they drafted John Stockton as well...

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

He looks like a ginger. He'll fit in perfectly.

13. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Lmao :eek:

14. aaaa

aaaa Member

Harpring? Not sure of the similarities. Harpring was a big body forward who was known to be a tough defender, and would get under other players' skin (read: he's dirty). Oh wait, they're both white.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

its freaking crazy that they focus so hard on getting white players. seriously its freaking weird.

16. roksoer

roksoer Member

he's super attractive

17. OpportunityCost

Why not just take Luke Babbitt? More athletic, and sweeter jumpshot.

18. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

19. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

I would give anything to hear an NBA player refer to the Utah Jazz as "those crackas." Seriously. Anything.

20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I can always take pleasure in Utah's misery.

good stuff