1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Harden] Best player alive = Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Aug 18, 2014.

1. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11370572/james-harden-confidence-growing-sessions

Some excerpts:

"Scoop: Bottom line, you are on this team and a lot of players aren't, but in your mind, who is the best basketball player alive right now?

Harden: Myself.

Scoop: That's what I was about to say, "including you." You made that sound like it was an easy answer.

Harden: It is. Myself.

Scoop: Then here's the question: Are you where you want to be basketball-wise, even if you are the best?

Harden: Nowhere near close. I've got a long way to go, a lot of learning to do, improvements to make. Um, you know, as long as I'm listening and focused on the right things, I can reach my potential.

Scoop: So in your mind, you haven't reached [your potential] yet?

Harden: Not even close."

On the one hand, I applaud his swagger. On the other hand, come on dude. On the third hand, I'm glad he agrees that he is no where near his potential. I'm also glad he's focused on learning from Coach K and from Thibs while he is on team USA.

#1 mollamar, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Can't wait to see all the fans hating on James Harden after this.

3. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Which is why I included the next part of the quote where Scoop asks him right after if he is as good as he can be and he owns up that he is not even close to his potential. I think that is a good place to be. We want his swagger and we want hunger and we want a chip on his shoulder.

Thread title may have been a bit trollish in hindsight. Been seeing too many CH thread titles so my calibration is off.

4. Mr Chuck Norris

BLah Blah Defense Blah blah blah, first round, Blah Blah, isoball bla blah blah bad teammate blah blah eating with team blah blah stripclub blah blah parsons.....

There I about covered the rest of the thread

1 person likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Oh no a max salary contract player thinks of himself as the best on the planet!?!?!

Get the torches!!!!

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You have to be the best player in your mind.

7. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

On the fourth hand, I have no problem with that. Derrick Rose said the same thing while being on the sidelines with injury. That is a great attitude, as long as it translates on the court.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Agreed.

9. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

This is friggin awesome. Exactly what you want to hear from your best player.

There was another interview (I believe the Complex sports one) where he said he wanted to be the best player in the league.

He wants it.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Championship next year!

Let's go James!

I believe!

11. traveler

traveler Member

Harden: Listen [long pause], until I get rings I can't say anything.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Too bad he slipped at the end:

And are we going to pretend OP doesn't have three hands?

1 person likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm talking about from the haters. They will no doubt use what harden said as another excuse to hate on him.

14. Rox23

Rox23 Member

So why all the hate on CP, then, when he thought that he was better than Batum??? Would it be right for Omri Casspi to consider himself the best player in the wolrd??? Harden should show some class and give props to his best friend on OKC or, at least be a good teammate and say..."Dwight's the best in the world".

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Should I get the pitchforks out?

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think the question Scoop asked is not what is normally asked...either that, or Harden took it differently. Usually, when players are asked who's the best in the world, they'll give the nod to Kobe, MJ, Lebron...those types. Now, if the stars are asked who they think is best on a given night, then they will say they themselves are. Only stars and superstars should really be asked and should answer that question publicly. The Casspis just need to keep believing it in their minds.

CP was just dumb to make that claim because he's still relatively inexperienced as an NBA player, especially in the playoffs. On top of that, He's not that much better, if at all, than a motivated Batum. He's also not a guy that can just turn on the switch, so that he can cover his butt after making comments like that.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Back it up on the court and we'll praise him. Otherwise, empty garbage.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Not looking forward to the backlash from this.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like this quote:

Scoop: When you were a kid, did you ever think about things like this? Like, did you say: "I'm going to start for USA," "I'm going to play on the Olympic team," "I can see myself as being one of the best players alive." I mean, was that where your mind was or was it just about hoopin'?

Harden: I was just hoopin'. I was just hoopin' and trying to get better every single day, you know. Never would I have thought that I'd be in the position I am now. But now that I am in it, I gotta take full advantage of it. I have to make sure I'm not taking any days off, make sure every day that I'm working hard to compete. Because, you know, there are always people out there working hard.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i dont mind him saying that but after the playoffs he hsouldnt. 3rd bes behind durant and lebron. he should have that attitutde tho.