1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why Kyle Lowry must start over Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Aaron is a great player but he is not a point guard, the only reason he is playing PG is because he is short, if he were 6'4 he would be a SG no questions asked. Now he can play PG in the NBA no doubt about it, however he is a PG in the same mold of a derek fisher or a mo williams or a steve blake in that in order for him to play PG he needs a playmaking wing player to put him off the ball on the majority of offensive possessions.

He has three main weaknesses

1) He can't create fouls.
    2) He can't run a pick and roll, the only option for brooks on a pick and roll is to either pull up or turn the corner and go for the basket, he cannot successfully make a pass because he is too small to see over a big man hedge or trap.
    3) He has poor body control on drives, you will notice that he can beat his man with relative ease, BUT as soon as a help defender gets there, he finishing % goes way down on drives, he doesn't have good body control and his only weapon on drives is his speed.

Now these weakness are not really a problem unless he has the ball in his hand a lot. If he played with a playmaking wing such as Mcgrady, these problems are not really a big deal since he would be playing off the ball. however, Battier and Ariza are the furtherest players possible from playmaking wings. So it's not a good fit for Aaron.

Basically Aaron would be perfect starter if Mcgady or Yao were around but his weaknesses are really exposed with the personnel right now.

Lowry on the other hand is the opposite, for him to be effective the ball needs to be in his hands, he is basically useless as a spot up shooter in a mcgrady/yao offense but in a PG dominated offense he will really shine. All his strengths would shine playing with this starting group.

1) He is very aggressive in pushing the ball on the break.

2) He is a great playmaker with the ball in his hands.

3) He is great at drawing fouls.

3 people like this.
  2. plates300

plates300 Member

this has been beaten to death. end it already.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Beaten to death because both players are backup point guards. Its a question of which backup you want to play.

4. ibm

ibm Member

i don't agree with every point you tried to make, but your post looks reasonable to me. (reasonable is all i expect when come to a message board.)

this thread may get hot.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

uhhhh :rolleyes:

again, really? Just give it up

6. Landlord Landry

you won't see any complaints from me trugoy. I agree 100%

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know what game you've been watching. The Rockets offense turned to crap after Brooks tweaked his ankle and stopped being aggressive.

Brooks is our most important offensive player, and he's by far our most effective at running the pick and roll.

For the season, by the way, Brooks is shooting 67% on his layups, while Lowry is at 54%.

http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=HOU&type=pg&posi=%&yr=2010&gp=0&mins=0

8. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

The problem is with the current setup of this team, we badly need a player that can generate offense himself and brooks is really the only creator we have. He's done a good job so far penetrating and kicking out to shooters and also creating his own shot. With Brooks out, at times our offense stalls because there isn't enough firepower out on the floor.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lets see..

Aaron scores 20 points in the first half.

When was it that the rockets played amazing ball?

When did Aaron not play?

Oh thats right, and we got clobbered.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They both really need to learn the midrange game, where they get by their man and pull up from about the FT line and shoot.

Because they are both too short to consistently go to the hole....

And I think Brooks should be the starter, and Lowry should see about equal time.

BUT MIDRANGE GAME IS THE KEY !

DD

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Hey! Don't you come in here bringing facts backed up by data!!

Lets trade them both for Hinrich!

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Why start this thread when Brooks had a good game? I get the argument but until he got banged up he was tourching the Mavs.

13. Landlord Landry

14. durvasa

Aaron's taking 3.4 FGA from 10-23 feet (midrange jumpers) per game, and he's shooting 45% on them. That's not bad.

1 person likes this.
  15. trugoy

trugoy Member

6 games is not a good sample size to be comparing(look at last years data on the same site, bigger sample size). I am not saying that he is not our most important offensive player, all I am saying is he is not our best PG.

Even Adelman agrees since when he plays Lowry and Brooks together he puts Brooks off the ball.

I disagree with brooks being better than Lowry in a pick and roll, he is basically useless if a big man hedges him hard, that's his achilles heel on a pick and roll.

16. plates300

plates300 Member

this is one thing I agree with. Both Lowry and Brooks need to take more mid range shots rather than go to the basket and get it blocked. To the original poster, it doesn't really matter who starts. Subs can be made at any time and for the most part, both Lowry and Brooks are getting equal minutes so it's almost irrelevant who starts.

17. durvasa

I assume the OP is referring to their performance this season, not a season ago.

18. ibm

ibm Member

this i agree.

talked about the in-between game for both ab and kl last year. have not seen it too much this season so far.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Durv,

Is there any way to find out what he is doing from like 8-18ft?

DD

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Words