1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cyberx News] Rockets among teams trying to trade for Bledsoe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Aug 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

Let's not put LMA in the same class as KD either.

Obviously we aren't going to upgrade at the 2,3, and 5 spots right now. That leaves 1 and 4.

At the 1, Bledsoe is hanging out there and uncertainty surrounds Rondo, Rubio, and Dragic since they are all in contract years. So...it's logical that we could see a significant upgrade at the 1.

It's also obvious that we are paper thin at the 4/5 spots behind Dwight. Even with the signings of Dorsey/Adrien we still don't know what we have there, we don't know what DMo is going to become and we don't know IF Terrence is going to be able to learn to shoot a basketball (not real likely at this point).

But the difference in the 4 spot is there is not the level of uncertainty regarding superstar/star players at the 4 spot. Love is now gone. He won't be available next summer and he won't be on the trade market. That leaves LMA and Millsap as obvious possibilities as they are in their contract years. But.....LMA isn't going anywhere for the immediate future. We'll have to see a collapse in Portland with LMA deciding he wants out before any trade materializes for him. That's midseason at the earliest (if at all).

Millsap is a possibility but we've heard NOTHING about his possible availability except next summer as a free agent. Atlanta really wants a 5. We don't have one to trade them for either Millsap or Horford.

The only other situation percolating at the moment is Detroit with the Monroe (and JSmith) saga. I can't possibly see anything happening with either one of those guys coming to Houston because they simply don't fit right now.

When you consider the above....it really POINTS TO a possible acquisition of a premier point guard as being the most logical next big transaction. Especially when you combine the above with the fact that we have signed Ish and we are interested in acquiring Sessions.

Dragic - Would be a great fit here and a significant upgrade for us at the 1. Would have a cap hold of $11.25 million next summer so we would have the option to pursue a max free agent signing OR a trade for another superstar player who is a free agent with our ability to create max cap space. Dragic's game fits. And his contract fits.

Bledsoe - Game fits to a lesser degree than Dragic. He's not nearly as good a shooter. And he gambles a whole lot more defensively than Goran. And he's had knee issues and now he wants big long-term dollars. I honestly don't think we will be very interested in acquiring him UNLESS we get him cheap and on a shorter term deal.

Rondo/Rubio - Once again contract fits. But acquiring Rondo (or Rubio) would represent a shift in our style of play since both Rondo/Rubio have to have the ball in their hands primarily for their teams to get the max benefit from them.

Rubio is the younger player and his cap hold next summer would be $11.625 million. So his contract would give us the flexibility to pursue a trade and both Rondo and Rubio's contract would allow us to pursue a separate max free agent signing (LMA/MGasol) if we chose to go that route since we could let them walk.

In my opinion, the most logical acquisition for a superstar/star caliber player involves one of Goran, Rondo, or Rubio at this time, for the reasons I just listed.

2. htown1984

htown1984 Member

rubio handles the rock very well- doesnt need to score that much...

The guy will lead the NBA in assist soon.. He can protect the ball and manage the game (While spreading the ball around) not a bad choice at PG

3. basketballholic

I sure hope all of you guys that don't think Rubio's shooting will improve feel the same way about Terrence. Because we have seen nothing to indicate Terrence will ever be able to shoot a basketball at even an average level. And his FT shooting is miles behind Rubio's.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I did not "equate" Durant, LMA, Rubio, and Bledsoe. I only said that if any of those scenarios played out, the Rockets would be getting a star. Obviously we'd all prefer Durant or LMA.

The question is can Rubio or Bledsoe (under the scenarios I presented - shooting, health) be the 3rd best player on a championship team. I believe the answer is yes.

I would dispute the idea that Bledsoe's usuage would drop significantly in Houston.

Goran's TOP Per Game: 6.3 minutes
    Bledsoe's TOP Per Game: 5.8 minutes
    Harden's TOP Per Game: 4.7 minutes

Goran's touches per game: 77.4
    Harden's touches per game: 71.3
    Bledsoe's touches per game : 71.2

For the Rockets, Beverley would go to the bench, Lin is gone, and Ariza handles the ball less than Parsons did. Bledsoe would absorb these minutes/usuage. The Rockets would become a more "guard heavy" team like PHX, but with a post player like Dwight.

As for "rounding out" the team, with the addition of either Bledsoe or Rubio you are almost forced to get a stretch 4. I like Ilyasova because you can get him for free......of course you only do this if he's healthy.

5. rocketseagles07

You're making yourself look silly by saying this. Because you're betting a player who is a worse shooter that has been in the league longer than T Jones is going to improve yet continue to go in on terrence skill when he's been in the league 2 years. Oh did you mention that T Jones IS A POWER FORWARD? There is nothing that indicates rubio will be a good shooter and we have MORE evidence that he will not be a good shooter. Also since you want to compare a pg and pf(which is dumb) lets talk about their finishing skills? How does Terrence compare to Rubio in that regard?

6. basketballholic

My point is IF you don't think Rubio will improve his shooting to an acceptable level there's no way you can believe Terrence is going to become an acceptable shooter either.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

On the other hand, you are claiming Rubio will improve his 3 point shooting to 38-40% in 2 years, while dissing TJ any way you can, with those TL; DR posts no less. Oh, the irony.

So what's your point again? No, never mind. I don't really want to know.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's not a reasonable comparison. Jones needs to improve his 3 point shooting enough to help provide spacing. Rubio has to overcome being one of the worst scorers in the NBA.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IIRC, Morey thought very highly of Rubio coming out of the draft. Did he actually try to trade for Rubio's right when he said he would not want to play for the Minnesota?

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Terrence is a power forward, 33 and 70 (ft) would be "acceptable", especially given his finishing at the rim is elite.

Rubio since he's the worst at the rim in the nba, his slow release on 3's (you have noticed he has a different shot from 3 right?), and a point guard, really needs above 40 from 3, if not more to become an acceptable shooter.

Do I have more confidence Jones can become a below average, rather than bad shooter? moreso than i do that rubio will stop airballing layups or shoot 3's like Curry

#490 Aleron, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  11. basketballholic

Glad you picked up on that. If you've played ball and coached ball and understand shooting mechanics you will see a world of difference in Terrence'e mechanical problems and Rubio's mechanical problems. Terrence has to be rebuilt from the ground up. Rubio's needs tweaks. Huge difference.

12. basketballholic

Rubio will never shoot 3's like Curry. I never said he would. But Curry will never make the plays Rubio makes or defend like Rubio defends either.

HOWEVER.............when all is said and done.......the debate will rage on over the years over which one of those 2 guys was the best point guard of their draft class.

Rubio is going to have a great career. Mark it down.

13. basketballholic

Yes he did.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I personally believe that Rubio can emerge as the third best player on a championship team over the next few years. Rather take a player that rebounds, passes, creates and defends at an above average level and teach him to shot.

15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Rubio's with Fegan? **** every part of that.

16. SRR21

SRR21 Member

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol incorrect. for someone claiming to know about ball its pretty surprising you wouldnt actually acknowledge that rubio needs more than tweaks. for someone playing basketball that long especially at an organized level and a jumper that bad is not something to tweak. even TJ can shoot better than Rubio haha. and thats sad since his shooting needs to be rebuilt lol

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

jrue holiday, ty lawson, jeff teague are all better than rubio. Could even argue jennings and collison have had better careers thus far compared to Rubio lol.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

All these people are NOT better than RUBIO. They are better than YOU!

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Guys...

Rubio isn't going to be a Rocket. Morey isn't giving up assets for the right to overpay him.