1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible undrafted free agent gems

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, May 26, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Figured I'd start this thread for discussion about players that are possibly totally off the radar on the top 60 and will likely go undrafted but could possibly have NBA talent.

Troy Daniels and Robert Covington came this route. So, if anybody knows any players that they think have NBA talent and could possibly make a roster, here's your chance to tell their story.

I'll start with Ty Greene.

Senior Guard at South Carolina Upstate. Small School in Atlantic Sun Conference but he did go against some major competition such as Tennessee, Georgia Tech, etc. and played very well.

6'3" guard. Not extremely athletic or fast. But fundamentally very, very good and baskdtball iq off the charts. What he lacks in quicks and athleticism he makes up for with iq.

Outstanding shooter who can shoot the ball off the dribble, catch-and-shoot, or drive and finish. And he's very consistent in his mechanics. Will spot up in normal rhythm, then attack the close out with a dribble or two, then get back to the 3-point line and light it up.

Makes very, very few mistakes with the basketball, especially for as much as he handles it and for the load he carried for his team. Will gladly take the hockey assist because it's the right play. Won't hold the ball and be a ball stopper. Just simply makes the right plays all the time.

Very low turnovers. And he offsets his turnovers with steals. A/TO ratio is 1.64. (A+S)/TO ratio is 3.28.

Weaknesses:
    Defensively he's gonna struggle against athletic point guards. His NBA position is probably at the point. Or.....since I'm always looking for players that fit us, possibly a small SG/PG to play alongside Harden and knock down shots and be a secondary creator.

Personally I think this kid is just as good if not better than some of the PGs/SGs projected in the second round. He's totally off the radar right now. And I think he could be a very good bench player for an NBA team, ala Pablo Prigioni.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6gzDerjD0Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 basketballholic, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. basketballholic

Next up: Ryan Harrow

6'2" point guard that can flat score the ball and dish. He's an offensive dynamo. Reminds me of a cross between Aaron Brooks, Brandon Jennings, and White Chocolate.

Draft Express has him ranked as the 54th best SENIOR!! Not the 54th best player in the draft, or pick #24 of the second round. But 54th best Senior! That's like the equivalent of about a 4th to 6th round draft pick if we were in the old days. Not anywhere close to top 60 draft status. And I don't know why. Actually I think I do know why. I think he's probably going to go undrafted because..drum roll...he transferred from NC State to Kentucky to Georgia State. So, there's probably questions about his attitude and being a team player. And I'm sure he sucks at one-on-one defense against bigger, more athletic point guards. (Big deal, so does Luke Ridnour, Aaron Brooks, Pablo Prigioni, Tyus Jones, Cameron Payne, etc.)

But...you tell me....watch this video and tell me Tyus Jones and Cameron Payne are so much better than Ryan Harrow that they are worthy of spending a first round pick on and he's unworthy of even a second round pick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T38ATV08pUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is why I don't want to spend a first rounder on a small point guard. Too many Ryan Harrows around that you can sign for the undrafted rookie minimum that will give you everything that first round small PG will give you.

So, just mark this down. If Morey spends a first rounder on Tyus Jones then he really believes Tyus is super-special. And no, this thread isn't a disguised "don't draft a PG" thread. It just so happens that the first two players out of the box are an undersized combo guard and a smaller point guard.

3. Normalus

Normalus Member

If you don't mind I would add one player we SHOULD invite to our Summer Camp team.

Trevor Lacey

6'3'' guard, solid build at 210lbs, very strong player but because of his age probably would go undrafted. He's 23, and would turn 24 by the start of the next NBA season, probably oldest to enter the draft. But I don't mind to try, we are contenders for next couple of years and if this guy can contribute right the way in NBA level I'm ok to try him out in SL first.

Played at NC State last season - 15.7ppg (44%FG, 39%3PT, 74%FT), 4.6rpg, 3.5apg. Not a turnover prone, team leader, hit some really clutch shots this season and played well in championship (upset Villanova).

[youtube]J7w1EtTALNU[/youtube]
    [youtube]v_rA0DjE2Ns[/youtube]

Not sure, but he may be already had workout with Rockets.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Houston traffic crazy </p>&mdash; Trevor Lacey (@TrevorLacey5) <a href="https://twitter.com/TrevorLacey5/status/602702396855226369">May 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. HTine

HTine Member

i was a big fan of Harrow when he first went to Kentucky and thought there was some saving grace at GA State. Seems like everything I've heard about him is soft. Comes off very disinterested. He was pretty weak when he first got to UK, and it doesn't look like he's tried to get stronger.

like i say i was a big fan, so i hope he has a chip on his shoulder because he's obviously talented. but if a guy doesn't "want it" it won't matter. best of wishes to the guy though

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Corey Hawkins
    Tyler Harvey

6. basketballholic

Corey Hawkins

Son of former NBAer Hersey Hawkins.

6'3" "shooting guard" out of Cal-Davis after transferring from Arizona State following his freshman season and sitting out a season. That means he's 23 and will be 24 by the start of the season.

DraftExpress has him ranked #100 in their prospect list. And he's older. So, odds are he goes undrafted.

However, this guy reminds me of Steph with his game. Great shooter, creative finisher, willing passer but playing on a team with not much talent around him to pass to.

He shot something like 51/48/82 for the season on a high volume of shots. Was very efficient.

The thing I like about his video is it spends a lot of time showing Corey splitting doubles and finishing creatively around the rim.

He does have a 6'8" wingspan which comes in handy here. Obviously he's not very athletic. Seems slow when you watch him. But I dare say he's intentionally slow, carving up defenders with fakes and jukes and making the game look easy.

I think he ultimately becomes a PG at the next level. No doubt he needs to work on his passing and undoubtedly he'll have to learn how to become an effective enough defender.

But that shooting.....catch and shoot, pull ups, fake-dribble-shoot, off balance driving shots...you name it...he's got them all down.

This guy would be very interesting if he goes undrafted and someone can catch him with a 3-year minimum salary deal. He's got an extreme NBA skill.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RO8nQ72elOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Kevin Pangos

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VsREmNgT9BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

T-Rex hands, he has like 5'8'' wingspan or so..

9. basketballholic

Agreed. He's simply too small and doesn't have outstanding quickness or any outstanding skill to offset his size. Probably make a nice coach though. Good kid.

10. basketballholic

Quinn Cook

This guy's got the resume and game.

6' point/shooting guard.

4-year Dukie. National Champion.

Shot 53.6% from 2, 39.5% from 3 on a ton of 3-balls over 6 a game, and over 89% from the FT line. So, obviously he can shoot.

Defensively, has good quickness, and defends the point very well at the college level. Will have size issues in the NBA defensively with other points taking him in the post. But he's a very good perimeter defender.

Great floor leader. Extremely LOW TURNOVER rate. Good handle and vision. Great in the locker room.

Besides his size, it's difficult to find anything to not like about his game. I think he would be a steal as a backup PG replacing Prigs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8zdI178r9I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o3sqHcYzASk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry for the language on this one below but some highlights not in the others

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BYwYe71ikso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. He won't ever be a star and probably not a starter but he will be in an NBA rotation for years. He just knows how to play, is professional and will work hard.

12. basketballholic

Personally I'd rather sign Cook than draft Tyus Jones. If we draft Tyus then there is something super special about him, something in the metrics that Morey is keying on that he is going to be very special. I like Tyus' game. But he is undersized and an average athlete. You'd almost have to feel like he's Chris Paul good. But Quinn Cook....undrafted????? No brainer.

13. basketballholic

Seth Tuttle

A 6'8" senior from Northern Iowa.

Here's the negatives:
    1. Undersized for a big
    2. average athlete - probably too slow to be a 3.

Your classic tweener.

That's it.

This kid just knows how to play basketball. He's got a post game that rivals Jahlil Okafor's (just without the size). Great, quick first step. Super, super smart. Can shoot it from 3. Super, super efficient player on both ends of the court. Low turnovers. Good rebounder.

I don't think he'll get drafted. And I think an NBA team would do good if they called him the night of the draft and invited him to camp immediately to see what he could do in that setting. Maybe even try him out at the 3 and see how he played it. He's a winner.

Here's some of his offensive package. Love these moves:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bxjzihbhw-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. basketballholic

DARRUN HILLIARD

I'm putting this guy in CAPS. That's how much I like him. I like everything about his basketball play.

6'6" 215-220 lbs.

DraftExpress has him listed as a SF. But he's so versatile, I can see him becoming a big 1 at the NBA level.

When you watch his highlights he doesn't blow you away with any single aspect of his game. Most of his jumpers either hit back iron or they rattle around the rim before going down. He can splash it but most of his shots rattle around the rim. But...they go down. His crossover won't wow you but it gets him enough advantage to finish with it, just a step ahead of the defense. He doesn't have the quickest first step but he's quick enough to take slower defenders. And he's smart enough to know when to post up versus go outside and spot-up. He's got hops but his hops are just a small part of his game. They don't define him. He passes the ball, mostly on time and on target but few of his passes are highlight reel capable although he is continuing to show more and more playmaking skills.

I think he's got a better chance of basketball success than RJ Hunter. And Hunter's likely gonna be a first-rounder. I like Hilliard better than Rashad Vaughn and Delon Wright, both probable first-rounder.

Offensively, he is efficient. It's obvious when you look at his stats and metrics he understands how to make the best play. And this last season he further emphasized his decision making by ratcheting down his turnover ratio. He can make plays. He can shoot it. He can finish it. He's a leftie with a great ability to finish with his right (as you will see in the videos). He can knock down his freebies. And he's a low turnover player.

50% from 2. 38.7% from 3 on a decently high-volume of 3's. And when you understand what he was to their defense, that 38.7% is incredible. 79.6% from the FT line. Nice assist numbers for a guy that wasn't the PG for his team. 1.76 A/TO ratio.

DEFENSIVELY
    He was Mr. Everything for Villanova in their perimeter defense. Consistently guarded the opponent's best perimeter player. 63 steals in 35 games. Nice Steal%. 63 steals to 42 turnovers. That's a very positive metric. That means he created more possessions than he lost. Jay Wright is a great defensive coach, putting heavy emphasis on Defensive FG%. Villanova played some of the best team defense in the country, including limiting opponents to 30% from 3 as a team. Hilliard was the spearhead of the defense.

CHARACTER
    Off the charts. Leader. Quality person. Can't say enough good things about him.

BBALL IQ
    Off the charts.

DRIVE
    Very high.

In short, I've been watching as much video on this kid as I could find over the last week or so. I like everything about him. If I were Morey and I could buy a late second rounder....I'd draft this kid in the second round. I think he could be a potential starting point guard and a great fit next to Harden with his size. And he's versatile enough to defend 1 through 3 and play 1 or 3 offensively for us alongside Harden.

This kid is one of those players that's just off the radar in so many ways. His team had a short run in the NCAA tourney this year, I think they got upset in their second game. If they had continued to the Elite 8 or even into the Final Four...I'd bet we'd be talking about him as a potential first round pick. He was the obvious leader of his team. His teammates loved him. When you watch him in interviews you understand. Just a great team player with a great attitude, loaded with basketball iq and a healthy NBA skill set. He'll obviously have to prove it at the NBA level as he's out of the top 60. And the most likely reason is scouts probably think he's not quite athletic enough, not quite long enough, not quite quick enough, not quite fast enough to be a difference maker at the next level.

I think he's an NBA player waiting to happen. And a good NBA player at that.

Watch him play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BnsvbkNHkM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start this one below at 10:00 mark for profile on Hilliard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/83y_QaRAE3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x3BmOIK0bOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/emVPfNGuWMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would draft this kid.

15. alethios

alethios Member

He reminds a lot of a shorter DMo. Similar offensive moves around the basket and developed a 3 pt shot.

16. ironariza

ironariza Member

why no tyler harvey??????/

17. basketballholic

Well, Draftexpress has him at #60. And I think he'll get drafted. But he is low enough that if you want to profile him, go ahead.

18. basketballholic

A couple bigs I'm on the fence about somewhat are Cady Lalanne and Moussa Diagne.

Cady Lalanne
    Good sized big at 6'-10" and around 240 lbs. Tremendous reach at 7'5". Very long, very athletic, great NBA body. Don't know if he's got the brains or drive to really put in the time to get better. Has tremendous natural gifts though, so worth a mention. Some question marks about his character. Don't think he'll be drafted. Worth bringing to an NBA camp.

Moussa Diagne
    Another long, athletic kid with a 9'3" standing reach and plenty of hops. Definitely NBA body. Didn't start playing basketball until 4 years ago though so he is raw, raw, raw. But he's got a nose for the ball which is one thing I really like about bigs, instincts on the glass.

Moussa was in Draftexpress' second round until a few days ago. Looks like they put Alpha Kaba in and took him out. They've still got him rated at #57 in their top 100 prospects but he's not in their mock draft. So I'm not for sure his draft status. Haven't seen anything about him withdrawing. IMO this kid is worth a draft-and-stash late second. He could blossom in a couple years.

19. basketballholic

Yeah, highly skilled player. If he were 6'11" we'd be discussing which of him or Kaminsky are better and Tuttle might win the argument.

20. basketballholic

Here's a short article about Hilliard working out for the Celtics. Not much to see here but he has gotten quite a few workouts in. I still think this kid could get drafted even though everybody's ignoring him. And I think he can make an NBA roster and be a positive contributor with decent upside as a 3&D player with the ability to lock down at the point and also drive and finish. He has multiple tools and some of them are NBA ready right now.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/...rkouts/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter