1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady: How we can get both a starting point guard and a starting shooting guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 28, 2009.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

With the offseason trade proposal thread being wayyy too cluttered, I've decided to start a new thread. Clutch, lock this if you want because I don't want to take up any more space than needed.

Okay, so the NBA draft didn't get us a much-hyped point guard nor did it net us any useful veteran like Jefferson, O'Neal or Carter. But there's no reason to think that the offseason ended after NBA Draft Day. Morey will just have to be the creative GM that he's been known to be on this board. So what, exactly, do the Rockets need?

A Point Guard?

Sure some on here have blind love for Aaron Brooks but I'm not convinced one bit that he can be a starting point guard for a championship contending team. I would much rather have him be a 6th man and come into the game and do what he does best--score and score often. Bringing in a veteran point guard is what this team needs.

A Shooting Guard?

With McGrady's status with this organization up in the air, it's best just to plan for the worst--the worst being that the Tracy McGrady era is all but over. Having a shooting guard that doesn't need to dominate the ball to score and can hit jumpers consistently would be a boon for a team that relies heavily on Yao to open things up for the other players.

So what are am I proposing? Well, from the rumors that have been floating around the past month, I've put a proposal together that is pretty realistic (i.e. not including any player that is deemed "untouchable") for all teams involved.

Rumor #1: Detroit still covets McGrady's expiring contract. They shed a lot of fat by taking Iverson's contract last year. Take off another contract like McGrady's would be the perfect storm for Dumars in his quest to sign two max contract players in 2010.

Rumor #2: Chicago is trying to shed a bit of capspace, period. Rumors been floating around (ever since the trade deadline in February, actually) that the Bulls have been trying to trade away a couple of players.

Solution:

Detroit Pistons trades Richard Hamilton to the Houston Rockets
    Detroit Pistons trades Tayshaun Prince to the Chicago Bulls

Houston Rockets trades Tracy McGrady to the Detroit Pistons

Chicago Bulls trades Kirk Hinrich to the Houston Rockets
    Chicago Bulls trades Tyrus Thomas to the Detroit Pistons

Detroit Pistons:

Positives: They get the massive expiring contract they want "badly" and also net a power forward that can be a complement to any superstar that comes in next summer. If Thomas doesn't work out, they'll shed ANOTHER $3.7 million for the summer of 2010

Negatives: As with any fire sale, this Pistons team is going to suck. But it shouldn't be that bad considering if the Pistons ARE that bad they could possibly net a Top 5 pick in next year's draft AND have enough cap space to sign two players like Wade and Bosh. It's like the perfect storm.

Chicago Bulls:

Positives: It's an addition by subtraction with another addition. They get a versatile Small Forward that can defend 3 positions. Their experiment with Tyrus Thomas would come to an end and Kirk Hinrich's contract is off of their books.

Negatives: They don't shed as much money as they would like (Prince's contract is 9.5 for the next two years while Hinrich's is 10 for 3) and this move would definitely put Joakim Noah on the spot to perform as a starting power forward...something he and the Bulls might not be ready for.

Houston Rockets:

Positives: They move McGrady's contract for two relatively young players that would fit in immediately into the starting lineup. Hinrich's a bigger point guard that can defend as well as Rafer did and Hamilton is that off-screen shooter that can benefit handsomely in Adelman's offense. Brooks and Landry aren't needed to be included in the trade unless we want to sweeten the pot for the Bulls.

Negatives: Both contracts are longer that anyone in Houston would like especially if Morey planned to make the Rockets any kind of contender in the FA Summer of 2010 (IMO, was never going to happen anyways). This move isn't a homerun, Amare-to-Houston type. We would still be devoid of any go-to guy in crunch time.

Potential Starting Line up:

Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    Hamilton
    Hinrich

If Artest do get re-signed, our team would be strengthened even moreso. But even if he doesn't, Hamilton and Hinrich's production on offense should more than make up for what Artest did last year.

I know DD would love to see this happen since it means he gets to buy a Hinrich jersey finally. Personally I don't think Hinrich is a player that warrants a 10mil/year contract but I would MUCH rather prefer this than a Hamilton/Prince trade because we have Battier, who is just as good on defense as Prince but comes at a much cheaper price.

Critiques are welcomed. All I want is some intelligent debate. IF YOU MUST BLAST THIS TRADE, PLEASE DO IT IN A NON-IDIOTIC MANNER.

For the capologists, it is trade approved

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'd rather have Brooks start than get Hinrich. No thanks.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm not a big Hinrich fan but I like this well enough. Good work. I also always love seeing your user name. I have a soft spot for the dog days of the Steve, Cuttino, Mo, Cato era.

4. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

the truth

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

T-Mac to the Bulls !!:D

6. Batman Jones

I also like Brooks way better than Hinrich, but bringing him off the bench makes sense to me in a Smith/Cassell sort of way. And I can imagine Brooks contending for 6th man of the year.

7. steddinotayto

What does Brooks bring to the POINT GUARD position that is better than Hinrich? Brooks is a better SCORER and is faster but in terms of playing that specific position, it's pretty much up in the air and that's just me being generous to Brooks.

8. steddinotayto

Brooks plays very well when he has the ability and time to get points for himself. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing but it's definitely something we can use in the 2nd unit with Lowry and Landry.

If a trade like this was pulled, we have plenty of scorers in the starting lineup with Yao, Scola and Hamilton. The thing that killed us at times last year is when Yao was on the bench and we didn't have any scorers coming off of the bench. Having Brooks play that 6th man role only magnifies his strength moreso all the while putting less pressure on him to be something he, well, really isn't.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm just not sold on Hinrich, but I do agree with you about Brooks. I think using him like Jason Terry is the way to go, until he develops better PG skills.

Trade for Rip and Prince, then Trade Prince, Lowry, and any other necessary fillers for a vet pg. Just not Hinrich.

10. ThaBlackKnight

Not a bad trade, BUT who is going to be our playmaker.

Hinrich to me is a safe, solid, proven point guard, similar to a Rafer Alston, Steve Blake, Calderon, T.J. Ford, Chris Duhon etc.

However, those guys aren't going to get Yao the ball any better than Rafer or Brooks.

All of these guys are "middle of the pack" type of players. They are not that extrordinary playmaker who can take over the game. Those point guards are hard to come by, and usually won't be given away easily.

Hinrich is an upgrade over Brooks as a starter in my opinion, but he isn't going to take this team over the top.

Rip Hamilton is a pretty good mid range shooter, but what else does he really bring? He can help make up the scoring void that Tmac would leave and potentially Yao if he goes down. But he's not going to take you to another level either.

If this team was built differently, then he would work out, but with a dominant big man like Yao, we need a playmaker.

If we can't find one else where, why not keep the one we already have in Tmac???

I would only make this trade if Artest does not resign. We would have to find somebody who can simply make shots to replace his offense.

11. steddinotayto

I agree with you in that we would still lack that go-to guy in crunch time. It was what pretty much sank Orlando against the Lakers.

I just don't think *knocks on wood* McGrady can get us a playmaker. Any player out there right now that's on the trading block aren't playmakers by any means. Amare needs a ball distributor to get him the ball. Same with Brand. The only playmaker that might be available is Baron Davis and his shoddy health history.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Bulls might actually be looking to cut salary in any trade of Kirk Hinrich. They need to pay up to keep Ben Gordon this summer. There are rumors that Portland may be trading for Hinrich using its cap room. The cap room enables the Bulls to trade Hinrich's salary in exchange for a much smaller salary. Hinrich on the Blazers would make them a scary team.

The Rockets can actually offer an attractive package to the Bulls that will still allow Chicago to cut some salary:

Kirk Hinrich
    for
    Aaron Brooks
    Brent Barry
    Brian Cook
    Joey Dorsey

If the trade occurs after July 1, this will enable to Bulls to cut the maximum salary in a trade with another team over the cap (the Portland offers would still be better financially). But the real asset for Chicago would be Brooks, who would be a perfect backup for Derrik Rose and Ben Gordon. The Bulls could keep or waive the rest of the guys, perhaps even saving some additional money via buyouts.

Meanwhile, the Rockets get a legit veteran starting PG. I've posted before how I'm a big fan of Hinrich's game. He's a very good defender, can shoot the 3, and is a high IQ player. Plus, Hinrich's salary DECREASES each year. I would gladly go to war with this team (assuming T-Mac comes back in time to get in gear before the playoffs):

Hinrich/Lowry
    T-Mac/Taylor
    Battier/Artest/White/Budinger
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/[free agent C]

I guarantee you that a lineup of Lowry, Hinrich, Artest, Battier and Hayes would be the toughest lineup in the league to score on.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So fast it would make your head spin and it is a reasonable trade...nicely done.

And I would play Brooks and Hinrich together in the backcourt.....

DD

14. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

I love any trade that gets us rip and hinrich dont get me wrong, but chicago already has salmons and deng at the 3, why in the world would they lose there starting power forward for another pretty good 3. But for all these people who dont like hinrich lets go over some stats

Hinrich
    In 26min, 10pts, 2.4rbds, 1.29stls, 4apg
    Shooting .408 from 3, and .437 from the field

Last year 31min 11.5 pts, 6apg
    Two years ago 35min 16.6pts, 6.3apg
    Shooting .366 from 3, and .404 from the field

Aaaron Brooks
    25min, 11pts, 2rbds, 0.6stls, 3apg

Now dont get me wrong I love brooks, but defensively hes a liability and offensively he cant facilitate the ball well enough

Hinrich is only 28 with an declining contract so next year he will cost even less

And rip would fit RA's system perfectly so i dont even need to give stats on that

15. steddinotayto

To be honest, one of the reasons why I would want Hinrich is to stick it to Pritchard. I just didn't want to post it. :D

16. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

Sorry the ''Shooting .366 from 3, and .404 from the field'' was suppose to be under brook's stats

17. Houston09

Houston09 Member

if that trade could be done i would do it in a heart beat. hinrich brings the true pt guard the rockets need and also the sg i have dreamed of. line up of
    yao/goratat
    scola/landry
    artest/battier
    rip/taylor/brooks
    hinrich/lowry
    brooks to me would be a perfect scoring sg of the bench with lowry at pt. you have speed and scoring ability at the wings while gortat or sheed gives you the back up you need to compete.

18. Rocketaggie89

Rocketaggie89 Member

There are still veteran point guards who can come in and mentor lowry and brooks to enhance their passing game, and are excellent at running half court offense. Mike Bibby?

19. Batman Jones

Ugh. No way. I'm willing to trade for Hinrich and I'm reluctantly willing to part with Brooks (just because you have to give value to get it), but not in the same deal. If we move Brooks it better be for something better than Hinrich with his overpriced contract. Your trade is basically Brooks for Hinrich straight up. That's a horrible deal for the Rockets IMO.

20. steddinotayto

Aside from taking a contract that has one less year, I think a player like Prince would help them tremendously on the defensive end. Yes, they do have Salmons and Deng but neither are going to defend as well as Prince. You can literally hide their deficiencies on defense by putting Prince out there with either Deng or Salmons. Prince also gives them a bit more range on the offensive end.

This might leave them without a backup point guard for Rose but John Salmons was a pretty good ball distributor during his stint with the Kings.