1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental Floss, Do You Use It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockets-#1, Feb 23, 2005.

?

Do you use dental floss?

1. Always - It's a neccessary part of hygiene.

20 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Sometimes - I'll floss once a week or in some regular time frame.

19 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Rarely - Yeah, of course I do...for the first few days or so after I see my dentist.

36 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. Never - Dentall floss? What the hell is that

20 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, I know, totally random question. I never floss; does that make me a bad, unclean person?:( :confused: Am I just an idiot who is in a very small minority on this one?

My teeth have been bothering me recently, so I flossed today and there was some bleeding. Maybe, that's why I rarely do it, as my stupid, sensitive gums usually tend to bleed.

So, I can't wait to see if I'll be shunned for being a rare breed or if this is a common thing to neglect.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

After you do it for a while your gums will stop bleeding. The only time I floss is when the dental assistant does it for me, I always kind of found it to be a pain in the ass.

3. rockets-#1

Yeah, that's exactly the way I feel. It's such a hassle. I'd like to think I'm pretty coordinated, but I suck at flossing.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yes, I use those things made by Crest called Glide and they are a lot easier to use than regular dental floss.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I floss everyday. It is just as important as brushing when it comes to preventing cavities.

I turn 44 one week from today, and I have never had a cavity.

Of course, I had the railroad track braces going on when I was in junior high school....

6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I floss at least every other day. I prefer Dentotape

7. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Absolutely... two to three times a day.

8. rockets-#1

Wow. That's a lot. Thanks for making me feel really crappy. haha

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

How much MOOLAH (from Uncle Rico) for those packs? Must be expensive.

I use plenty of toothpics. ROUND, not FLAT.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

about once a week.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I used to never floss but in the last year or so, I try to floss about once a week. However, I find myself only flossing now these days when I have a piece of food stuck in between my teeth and I can't get it out with a toothbrush.

12. Lil Pun

They only cost about $3.

13. Cesar^Geronimo

every sense I started flossing -- about 10 years ago -- I can't go a day without doing it. If you don't floss your mouth and teeth just aren't as clean.

The bleeding comes from diseased gums -- which cleaning between your teeth and getting that crap out of will help prevent.

My wife had trouble flossing so the dentist reccomended using a water pic -- it basically does the same job but used pressurized water instead of floss

14. Lil Pun

I also have a water pic and it works great but is sometimes not worth the trouble.

15. rockets-#1

This is a stupid thread to bump, but rock the vote, dang it! I'd like to see a little more results, I'm curious to see.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Floss? ****, I don't even brush

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If you don't floss regularly especially while your still young, then you may very well pay a heavy price for it when you get older in the form of advanced gum disease, root canals, and whatever else. I know a co-worker who never flossed and they actually had to re-construct his gum tissue using tissue from somewhere else. My Dad had to get a root canal that was very painful and the dentist said was because he didn't floss enough or when he was younger.

I guess if you feel you can get away with it...then feel free to not floss. But, I think it will catch up with you eventually. Bleeding of the gums is a sign of gum disease and they are also saying bleeding gums has a correlation to heart disease. If you floss regularly, then you won't bleed. You need to floss every day for a few weeks until your gums stop hurting and stop bleeding. Then, you need to keep it up regularly never skipping more than a few days. Also, you don't want to floss like a pansy. You need to work the floss up between your gums on each side between the gum and the tooth. If you just barely work the floss up there, then your cheating yourself. Don't get me wrong...you don't want to kill yourself but you want to floss aggressively. Otherwise, you will only be getting a little benefit and, when you go to the dentist and they floss you hard, then you will still bleed considerably because you were cheating.

Surf

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i selected the 3rd option but i actually floss the few days before going to the dentist. about 3 or 4 days before, i'll start flossing once a day so that i get the big time bleeding out of the way and thus at the dentist they hardly bleed at all.

i brush twice a day (and use listerine), everyday, but never floss and have probably had 13 or 14 cavities in my life whereas for my sister the brushing part seems optional and she has hardly had any cavities. hell, i'm not even sure she's had one though i think she got one a few years ago. apparently, the two things working against me are how many sweets i eat (thus keeping sugar on my teeth all the time) and the fact that the middle of my teeth go down pretty far (according to my dentist) which allows things to get stuck in there more easily. which would probably explain why all of my cavities have been very small. i brush, but it's not quite good enough to handle that problem. the dentist always says i should start flossing, but i never do and my last checkup she said everything looked great so i guess i can get away with it.

i'm sure flossing is important but it's just way too much of a hassle. if you're using regular floss, you end up squeezing the hell out of your fingers that it's wrapped around, and it's usually hard to coordinate your hands to do exactly what you want.

if i have to pay for 30 blissful years of not having to floss with a painful root canal then i guess i can deal with that.

19. rockets-#1

Ummm crap. If you're trying to scare the crap out of me and others, it's working!

Bleeding gums connected to heart disease, craziness.:eek:

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im starting dental school in July and I dont floss. I also havent been to a dentist in almost 3 years.

I hate going to the dentist.