1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans bringing back Luv Ya Blue?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by WhoMikeJames, Apr 19, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

For today's NFL dingus.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Texans disappoint in their own special way...I don't think the color they wear is going to necessitate an outcome. I remember the Oilers fondly, despite all the warts.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't care about the history. I care about that color combo being awesome and original. Those colors are Houston along with Astros orange. It is what it is.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's great... me too. Their departure left a void, and in many ways has made the Texans even more successful as a lot fans never want to be without NFL football again.

But even with the Texans problems.... they're still light years away from reaching the level of disappointment and overall embarrassment the Oilers put their fans through.

If the Oilers played in the internet/social media era... their failures would be even more magnified, hence the PTSD comment. I know its not really going to cause anything bad.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The colors are a part of the history.... I just can't separate one from the other.

Hell, Cleveland fans have a hard time thinking the Browns 2.0 are the same as the original... and they have the exact same name, exact same colors, and they even combined their history to make it seem as if the franchise never left.

To me, the Texans will never be the Oilers... but that means squat to kids nowadays who are growing up with them, and in 30 years they'll be even more invested in the Texans than I ever was in the Oilers.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Something tells me you weren't too fond of them January 3, 1993. Or January 4, 1992. January 16, 1994. 1981-1986. 1994. 1970-1977....

Time heals - but the Oilers were a terribly run, wildly unsuccessful franchise for 60-65% of its existence; often historically bad. This is a team that had a 3-31 stretch over 2.5 seasons. Between 1982 and 1986: 16-67. They own 18- and 17-game losing streaks, as well as 23 consecutive road losses. They were a playoff team that once lost 61-7.

I named my first child Campbell; I have remarkably fond memories. But they don't override all the terrible ones. Not for me. I was sad the team left; but appreciated the fresh start in 2002. That team was Poltergeist.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But they were "our" poltergeist ;)

For the record, I'm 100% in agreement with you. Give the Texans the same timeframe the Oilers had to be a part of the city, and with (or without) real success, you will see similar deep-rooted fandom/ties.

8. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

That is what I'm talkin' bout!!! The white helmet is a must with those colors. Too bad we are in the same division as the Titans...would love for those to be our fulltime unis, but too close to the Ten scheme.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think there's a psychological condition for trying to dress up and groom your new wife in the exact same way as your old wife (who left you 20 years ago). ;)

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's cool to do this once a year or whatever as a nod to the past, but I wouldn't want it to be permanent.

11. msn

msn Member

Sorry for the late response -- but I don't get the hate on our colors. I don't agree that "steel blue" is a "watered down version" of blue. I think the colors are actually a bit harsh and intimidating. Nice for an NFL franchise.

I'm just not keen for columbia blue. Those days died in the late 90s.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't get it either. "Have some of the worst uniforms..." Huh? What is different, other than the colors themselves, than what the Oilers wore? I loved those colors, too, but the Oilers are dead and gone, period. THEY left and went to wherever the f*** they went. THEY decided that was a better situation than being in Houston. F*** em.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Only reason I like those Oiler-esque uniforms is that it give a big "eff you" to Memphis or Nashville or wherever the titans play.

Pretty much telling them that the Oiler history belongs to US, not them.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Texans colors or the name, Texans. It looks and feels like Dallas to me and the teams up there. I would have preferred something more akin to Rockets and Astros if possible.

Just my opinion, obviously.

1 person likes this.
  15. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I always thought that the Texans should have had Columbia blue in their color scheme from the beginning. It would lent even more to the rivalry similar to how Paul Brown again used orange when he moved on to Cinci from Cleveland. Doing that sent a big F U to the Browns.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do they really care to have the Oiler history? Why would they? Unless they lived/died through it, I'd imagine they're largely indifferent.

I think they're just thankful to have a team at all... something that may not be the case once their lease is up there and they realize nobody wants to pay to upgrade that dumpy stadium.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Hell ya leroy! Those colors ran and died in the 90's. They symbolize failure and should never been seen in any Texans unis. Different teams.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well so much for that. T'was fun while it lasted.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member