1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Florida Today] Magic GM frustrated with his team's play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Weisbrod, welcome to the world of Steve Francis. I love Francis, but you have to take the good with the bad.

I like to quote the jackass GM......."this just in, huh?"

Magic GM frustrated with his team's play
    BY JOHN DENTON
    FLORIDA TODAY
    http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050214/SPORTS/502140334/1002

When he was remaking the roster this past summer, Orlando Magic general manager John Weisbrod purposely sought out players who were known for their competitive fire and grit.

But while this Magic team certainly plays harder than last year's team that was 21-61 and seemed to quit down the stretch, Weisbrod has grown increasingly frustrated with Orlando's lack of discipline on the court.

Orlando entered Sunday's game against the New Orleans Hornets ranked 28th in the NBA in turnovers per game. Also, the Magic are 27th in points allowed per game in large part because they too often break away from their defensive principles, according to Weisbrod.

"You can win based on emotion and fight -- and no one likes guys with heart, guys who compete and play with emotion more than I do -- but those are things you have to put on top of discipline. It can't replace discipline," Weisbrod said.

Weisbrod feels that at times the Magic rely too heavily on their emotions and since the NBA season is 82 games long it leaves them susceptible to poor play on the nights that they are flat spiritually.

"The bigger issue to me is that if you are a team that wins or loses based on emotion you aren't going to be a successful playoff team," Weisbrod said. "We win the games we do based on emotion and fight and that's a great thing, but we rarely win games because we out-execute teams or because we have good, disciplined habits. I say all the time that the teams that win in the playoffs are the ones with the better habits and are conditioned to do things the right way whether they are on an emotional high or low. We're struggling to develop those habits, especially defensively, so it puts us at the mercy of our emotions."

2. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Mr. Weissass,
    You could have asked us last year and saved yourself the trouble... But then again, everyone has to learn from personal experience. :)

3. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

maybe he should stop trading talent (gooden,mobley,boogins) and getting garbage (battie,christe,hunter).

4. franchise?..NOT

Even Van Grumpy must be smiling about now!

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Odd he couldn't sneak in a shot at McGrady at the same time. Hopefully the Sentinel writers will pick up the slack.

Evan

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like, gee, 27 assist-5 turnover games? :)

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Maybe the team should try to play some defense.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's because McGrady "executed".

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah he only gets a 6 or 7 for this rant.

i thought it was funny in some article (i think insider) that someone posted that he was complaining about the team's poor play since the mobley trade, thinking guys weren't doing their best etcetera. hey, you think maybe the two things are connected? you know, trading away talent, and then losing? nahhhhh, couldn't be.

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Van Gundy said pretty much the same thing about our team last year, using the same word 'habits'. Maybe Weisbrod isn't so totally clueless afterall. ;)

11. nyc2k2

nyc2k2 Member

He is going to visit this site before doing any future trades with the Rockets :)

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Weisbrod reduces their talent level with every trade he makes. First its Tmac for Francis. Then Gooden and the brazilian dude for Battie. Then Mobley for Christie. Then they were talking about Francis for Andre Miller. Maybe we can convince him to take Taylor for Dwight.

13. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

who else is smiling from ear to ear :D

and oh yea, francis 4 prez.. you're the first person that made me witness the word "etcetera" spelled out... in my 21 years on earth i've never seen it spelled before.. thanks! :D

14. droxford

droxford Member

Ya know...

Not too long ago, there was a war of words between Weisbrod and McGrady. People called Tracy "Me-Mac" and were happy to see him go.

But as time goes by the truth becomes more clearly revealed. Tracy has shown the world that he's not the ball-hog, beef-up-my-stats selfish person that he was made out to be. He's been dishing out assists like crazy, and he's sacrificed his scoring ability in order to generate team wins. He's playing under a strict disciplinarian coach (JVG) and thriving in it (not rebelling from it).

We've known these things for a while, but it's becoming more and more clear to others that Weisbrod was/is wrong.

I would love to see analysts from ESPN evaluate the situation post-trade and discuss T-Mac, SF, and Weisbrod.

-- droxford

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I will do a Taylor for Battie in a heart beat. I know we can sneak that one by him.

;)

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

ME.. ME ohhh, over here.. I AM!!!:D :D

17. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

He should have never traded Cat. They have sucked since the trade.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

More and more, it looks like we raped Weisass on the trade. Orlando is playing almost exactly like we did the past few years.

I love it!

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...and he's an Oxford-educated Latin scholar! :eek:

20. Val

Val Member

From today's Chad Ford chat:

Orlando FL: Will the Magic really consider trading Steve Francis?

Chad Ford: (1:54 PM ET ) I think John Weisbrod would consider trading ANYONE on the Magic if he didn't believe they were pulling their weight. He's been unhappy with Francis' effort, leadership and defense. If the right deal came along, I think he wouldn't hesitate to make a trade. With that said, he told reporters last night it was unlikely that the Magic would make a deal before the trade deadline.