1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I need Pet Advice...and sister advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jul 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, I'm pet-sitting for my sister's 11yr old dog, who I know very well. My sister and I used to live together (there's a "what would surprise me about you" MadMax...hehe), and I ran with this dog and the dog loooooves me. Yet, this is the first time in like 5 yrs that I've spent this much time with Osie.

She has hip-dysplasia since 2yrs old, with the operation and all, and she is 90Ilbs, overweight by 15-20 easy.

This dog is in pain!! She can't walk up my stairs. I have to carry her down... all worried about falling with this 90 ilb'r...yet, she's in bliss with her tail wagging and all...it's so cute.

So, my problem is that I thought my sister was in denial about Osie's weight problem for a long time. But I had no idea Osie was so hampered in just sitting down and standing up.

The main problem is my sister has a 15yr lovely cat that can't jump up for her food anymore, and Osie is gourging on that cat dish. How do you tell your sister that her lovely dog is overweight and it is her fault for worrying about her old cat having food on the floor?

I'm afraid my sister will get sad if I tell her that Osie is too overweight.

#1 heypartner, Jul 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

You'll be doing the dog and cat a big favor by just being brave and telling her straight up.
    Damn, I hate to see fat pets. People think they're giving love to their animal, which I'm sure they feel they are, but in reality they are serving up a slow death.
    You're sis would get over it, but once those pets are gone from being so unhealthy, there gone forever.:(

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That dog needs to go on a diet pronto. I'm talking canned vegetables like peas mixed in with the dry food and very light canned moist food(if she does moist). Consult a vet first. Just a little weight loss will help that dog get around better. That is the justification. It's bad enough having hip dysplasia without carrying around that much extra weight. I think that if the dog doesn't lose weight....it's life will be shorter than if it were lighter. It's hard, though, if the dog can't get good walks/exercise. What happens when the dog gains even more weight and has trouble even going to the bathroom? That is when it gets really bad.

I'm not an expert but:

Pros:
    1.) Not as much weight to lug around...relieving some pain/stress
    associated with the hip dysplasia.
    2.) A non-overweight dog is a healthier dog.
    3.) Weight loss may result in improved mobility and more exercise.
    4.) Eating less can lead to a longer life.

Cons:
    1.) Doggie diets suck.
    2.) Doggie mobility and pain gets worse and dog gains more weight making her situation more difficult.
    3.) Eating more can lead to a shorter life.

Good luck!

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe I miswrote. The 15yr old cat is thin and fine,,,she can't jump up to an elevated dish simply because she is 15yrs old with arthritis. She has no weight problem. The dog has a weight problem because she eats all the cat food since it isn't elevated to accommodate the arthritic cat. The cat is fed on the floor and Osie always finds a way to get to it, no matter what.

sigh

catch 22 kinda

It seems like it comes down to my sister choosing to worry about the 15yr cat or the 11yr old dog...

sigh

anyone have tips for feeding an old cat that can't jump such that the dog can't get the food, in a house situation where separating them is not an option?

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This reminds me of my aunt's former dog. It was blind and kept running into tables and other things.It was an "inside dog", so it wasn't a very big dog. My cousins always freaked it out. It was funny yet sad.

Oh yeah, sorry I don't have any advice.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The only option I can think of isn't a fun proposition. You could pen the dog up in another room when it is dinner time for the cat.

Oh and you should tell your sister. If you don't and she eventually has to put the dog down then you'll feel tremendous guilt. At that point you should feel somewhat guilty. You love your sister, and part of loving somebody is telling them the things they need to but do not want to hear.

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

you can put the cats food in one of those cat carriers that's too small for the dog to enter.

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think outlaw's point deserves some consideration.

Also, does the dog ever get treats of any kind? My in-laws started giving their dog those little, raw carrot stubs. She loved them, and they were much better for her.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How much of the extra weight do you think can be attributed to cat food? A dog that should weigh 70 pounds can only pack on so much extra by adding the diet of a 10 pound (or whatever) 15-year old cat. I'm sure it is a contributing factor, but that can't be the whole story around the obesity of the dog. I know at least the age of the dog, the hip dysplasia itself (and the exercise it doesn't get because of it) and the spaying/neutering it might have undergone contribute to a lower metabolism.

What are the feeding schedules of these animals? Do they eat when they like or are there specific feeding times? Why do you say the two animals can't be separated?

I think outlaw's suggestion is worth a try. I can see the dog may be perfectly willing to cram his head in anyway. Of course, the bad hip might make it too hard.

10. B

B Contributing Member

What about elevating the cats food, and put the cat up there to let it eat, or just set it up so the cat only gets fed at certain times of the day, and the room is shut off from the dog then the food is elevated until she wants to feed the cat again? Geez, did that sentence make any sense? My eyes and brain are too blurry right now.

B