1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They didn't trade up because they didn't want Bridgewater.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LelWestbrick, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Or they didn't feel he was worth trading up compared to other quarterback options. It's not like the Seahawks just took the Vikings offer and ran with it. They absolutely called the Texans and said "Hey, Vikings offered a 2nd and 4th for Bridgewater. Will you match that?" We have better picks in the 2nd and 4th. The Texans said no. Lots of teams had Bridgewater below Carr on their boards. From all indications over the past months the Texans weren't very high on TB at all.

2. justafriend

justafriend Member

That may be true, but it's not any more inspiring.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Obviously, the Texans were very much underwhelmed by all the top QBs. Nor am I expecting them to draft a QB at 2:1.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nooooo . . . They said "Hey, Vikings offered a 2nd and 4th for THE #32 DRAFT PICK. Will you match that?"

So if that means they had no interest in Bridgewater . . . . .means they had no interest at anyone . . .in particular atg #32

Rocket River

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Teddy has his team & a chance to play professional ball. That's all he can ask for.

It was a bumpy ride for him but he's got to move on and play football.

The Vikings sure wanted him seeing how they traded up to select him.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

better to be a place where you are wanted

Same goes for Johnny

Rocket River

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yes, and the texans have a rich track record of QB drafting...

lets face it, the team is doomed.

the mcnair's know how to make money, but they are clueless when it comes to hiring football shot callers.

8. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I don't know. I think Rick Smith got played. The same thing happened last year when Baltimore jumped in front of us to take Arthur Brown. Nobody is ever gonna admit to it though.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rick Smith held a press conference during the draft. It is a shame. I don't understand how he is in anyway equipped to run this team. We should have showed him the door with Kubiak.

10. delishman

delishman Member

You better hope they didn't have first round grades on Ted or Jon. GMs getting played in the midst of the draft is nothing new.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rick may draft marquise lee in rd 2. Sounds like something he would do

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Thread title sums it up. Or at least they didn't want him at the expense of a 4th rounder. Hopefully we can all laugh about this one day.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That 4th rounder is guaranteed to be a scrub with smith picking.

Texans got played by a team with guts

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I feel like we will know in part based off of what we do tommorow . If we draft a QB then we absolutely screwed up tonight . I think at this point, with how the board has played out , Tuitt or Hageman would be the only choices I would be happy with . The elite O line prospects have been taken and those two are elitish defensive players . I feel that by not taking a Qb in the second round we have basically conceded the season . There is no way a front office can realistically think that Fitz, case and Yates are playoff caliber Qb's. With the top 3
    Gone , there is a clear separation between them and the rest of the Qb projects. Even if we valued Carr more , how were we to be sure that min would not have taken him . You can't build a dynast without a franchise QB . I really liked bridgewater and thought he had as good of a chance as any To be the best Qb in the draft and i think the texans may have gotten a little too clever in trying to

15. Apps

Apps Member

You know, I'm a guy who wanted Bridgewater and even I think that people are acting like babies. I agree with OP's post. The Seahawks, in a situation like that, are in an excellent position to leverage for a better offer from the Texans. If the Texans didn't take that opportunity, knowing that it was the Vikings who wanted to trade into 32, then it is pretty clear to me that they didn't want TB to begin with (the Vikings were a team who were supposedly in the market for a quarterback, and I'm sure the Texans were aware of it).

For those who are screaming for Rick Smith's head, you may feel justified in doing so on account of other mistakes, but do not feel justified in this one--at least for the time being. And for those who are saying this franchise is forsaken or stupid or doomed or what-have-you, please understand that you literally just watched the FIRST round of ONE draft in which we picked the [presumably] BEST player. Don't be childish.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The only QB the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> had interest in that was drafted was Blake Bortles RT <a href="https://twitter.com/chalupaBatman74">@chalupaBatman74</a>: elaborate??</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/statuses/464612942617776130">May 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm of the opinion they would not have even taken him at 33 had the Seahawks simply kept their pick. If they wanted him as a 2nd rounder, then they would've paid the price to move up knowing how valuable the QB position is.

I'm guessing they have a late 2nd or 3rd round grade on him. Well, we'll see if they take a QB on Saturday.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No reason to settle for a mediocre QB. Just wait another damn year and rebuild.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea, next year we should be bad enough to get Marriota or Winston. Get your crab legs ready. With the 1st pick in the 2015 draft....

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

If either of them DESERVES to be the #1 overall pick, and the Texans will be that bad, I'd be stoked. Sucking in the one year where a franchise QB appears is like sucking in the NBA the one year Lebron James is eligible. I would gladly sit through another 2-14 season for that to happen.

Of course, if either Bortles or Manziel or Bridgewater becomes that franchise QB, then I would just be sad. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.