1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Down by 4, 11 seconds to go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BowlingBaller, Jan 12, 2012.

1. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

I don't know much about basketball. I know a lot of guys run back and forth trying to make a ball go through a hoop (and sometimes Parsons gives people "the look").

But when you've got the ball with 11 seconds & down by 4, is there any chance to win? What was supposed to happen last night when the Rockets were in this situation? The only thing I can think of is that Kyle was hoping to hit the 3 and draw a foul. Is there another plan that may have worked better?

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hit a quick 3. Foul. two free throws. hit another quick 3 to tie. Win it in OT.

3. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

hit a 3 FAST!

Foul immediately. pray for missed free throws.

and then it becomes a one possession game and depending on the number of free throws made you attempt a 2 or 3 pointer to tie or win the game.

typical strategy.

4. senter

senter Member

really?? you go for a quick open 3, foul, and even if they make both, you have the ball with enough time to make another 3 to tie it. its not easy but definitely doable. now if you were down by 10 with a minute left... thats a different stor-- oh wait.

<iframe width="140" height="105" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nfurCV1FDpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Plenty of options with that much time left. Can go for the quick 2, then foul and hope the other team misses both or makes 1 of 2 FTs so you can go for the tie or win on the last shot, or you can hit a 3 and then foul, guaranteeing yourself a chance to at least go for a tie on the last shot.

The obvious key is that you don't have to use all 11 seconds making your initial shot.

6. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Yeah those make sense. I guess what got me about last nights game is the passing between Scola & Lowry. Spurs were playing good D, but there's only 11 seconds. I guess it's hard to choose between rushing a bad shot and taking more time in hopes for a better shot.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Maybe Scola could have drove the lane, then thrown the ball at Dalembert's feet like a couple plays before, with the expectation that Dally picks it up, rams it home and gets the foul this time instead of the ball dribbling off Dally's foot like it did the first time??

You mean that play doesn't have a high percentage of success?? Naw!

Good ole' Scola. Thinks he's playing Euro ball where all the bigs can catch the ball and shoot it like him. Geez!

8. senter

senter Member

looking at your sig, really, RATS? dont you think STAR sounds a lot nicer? haha

friendly neighborhood STAR fan. now that i can get behind

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Actually, you're completely right about the passing between Lowry and Scola -- it was senseless and could not have been planned. My feeling watching it happen was that Lowry intended to jack up one of those step back 3's he seems to make so well, but when he went to do so there was a taller defender in his face so he passed it off to Scola. Scola at first was just going to shoot it, but then he realized he was not behind the three line and that the team was down 4 with like 7 seconds left, so he dribbled to get behind the line and then shot a terrible out of rhythm and out of his range shot.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont know, so I cant really say thats the reason, but that order could be the order of preference, or favorites.

like what team he likes more: he likes rockets above all, then he likes the astros above the texans and sooners.

It could be an idea, but in mot sure, thats the reason for that order.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just do this:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceLlz7dOOvY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceLlz7dOOvY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  12. houseofglass21

There were games where the 94' Rockets pulled off wins like this it's just been so long that I can't remember what games they were.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

EPIC BABY! WOW makes you think Tony Parker is still 29.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I'm probably the first one to say it. Make a quick 3, foul (2 FT's), do another 3, overtime and win it then.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Easy peasy. Have Bud inbound the ball to Jordan Hill for the wide open 3.

Foul.

Wash, rinse, repeat. :rolleyes:

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Ha beat me to it.