1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if the Knicks get the #1 pick in 2011?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BEAT LA, Mar 16, 2010.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

And the Rockets do not get to swap picks? Even worse, what if they tank in 2012 all the way to saving their pick (it is top 5 protected).

I did not know of these conditions until I watched that Knicks chick video in the NBA Dish, so does anyone know if these are the exact conditions that come with these picks? I looked on NBA and ESPN.com and did not find any details.

I would be so upset if one or both happened. I would be ecstatic if the Rockets landed the second or third pick next season (which I doubt will happen) after winning 55 games.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If they get #1 next year, we lose the ability to swap.

If they get top 5 in the year after it pushes back a few years until they dont land outside the top 5, until it eventually becomes 2 second round picks.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Sorry, I knew about the #1 protected 2011 pick . I did not know the 2012 pick was top 5 protected. Any info would be appreciated.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Thank you! I can sleep now.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's why you look closer to home for news.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1552/terms_of_rockets-knicks_draft_picks_swap/

On a side note, the likelihood that the Knicks get next year's #1 is VERY, VERY small. Even assuming they strike out on all the top tier free agents, they'll still be a borderline playoff team given East's crappiness. I would expect their pick range to be more in line with the Rockets pick this year than to a top 5 pick. People may talk about how we could have a high pick, but the most likely scenario is a 10-15ish pick unless they get decimated by injuries.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Even if the Knicks go 0-82 next season, they'll still only have a 25% chance at getting the #1 pick.

If I'm the Rockets (and I haven't used that pick swap to get Chris Bosh), I'll take my chances.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then the 2012 pick looks a whole lot nicer.

8. Dei

Dei Member

If they get #1 next year then karma would've finally come full circle for giving us Yao back in 02. Hopefully not.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

QFT. If they get #1 in 2011, it means they completely struck out in this summer's free agency, so they'll probably suck again in 2012.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yep, and they would have to finish with one of the two worst records in the league in order to assure themselves of retaining that pick. Same holds true for 2013, 2014 and 2015. That's not fairly likely to happen.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

More then likely at worst the Knicks are going to land Bosh in the summer FA period, so I doubt that they will land a number 1 pick, unless God just hates NY city sports.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

AT WORST Bosh??? How do you figure that?

Sure, if the Knicks got Lebron, Bosh would be more likely to join up with him. But to figure that Bosh will just sign in New York outright without knowing in advance that another big time player is going there? Not very likely.

I think you could more realistically say that, at worst, the Knicks will land Rudy Gay, since Memphis wouldn't match a "full max" offer sheet.

But Bosh as a WORST case scenario??? You're dreaming.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If the Knicks get the top pick, it just means Cleveland won't get a shot at replacing LeBron that year.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The Knicks have the most available cap room and let face it, are in one of the biggest media capitals in the world. How do you figure, if they don't land Wade or LeBron, that Bosh would sign with anyone else or someone would be able to offer as much money as NY?

If the Knicks are unable to land either Wade, LeBron or Bosh, then there is something seriously wrong with their organization.

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

If Bosh is most concerned with money, then he'd simply re-sign with Toronto, who can offer him up to $30 million more over the life of his contract. The "spotlight" of New York City probably isn't worth $30 million by itself.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why? Wade has said all along that he wants to stay in Miami. If LeBron wins the title, he can't leave Cleveland. ("Sorry Cleveland, I know I can win championships here, but uhh.. I just don't like Cleveland" -- not happening.) Their best bet is Bosh.. but why would Bosh want to go to a lottery team? Do you think NBA stars are dreaming about playing with Galinari or Toney Douglas?

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Or he might even take up his player option first?!?

I agree Bima - I very much doubt Bosh goes to NY.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Don't see the knicks getting bosh or lebron or dwade...

What I do see them doing is getting some good role players(like tudy gay) but paying them top tier(like lebron) money and being a mediocre team for the next decade or so until they decide to dump their salary for antoher "big signing period" then ruin it. Then suck, then get an amazing player with the first overall pick who keeps getting them deep in theplayoffs, this player is then joined with another great player and the two win a championship, Then both great players retire and the knicks invest too much money in a bad player and are a mediocre pick until the fall of the NBA in 2100

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Then we're screwed....../

20. Prince

Prince Member

so what as long as they have that cancer...