1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Aug 31, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]McCoy sat down with goofy Dave Dameshek and opened up on various NFL topics. No. 93 planted a flag for the future of Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, who is entering the final year of his contract as understudy — with rookie Jimmy Garoppolo lurking on the Pats roster.

“Ryan Mallett, I’ve watched Ryan Mallett because we practiced against him the last couple of years. Ryan Mallett is going to be special whoever he plays for. He’s a Tom Brady in the making,” McCoy said.

“And I really love Tom Brady. I’ve watched this guy prepare in practice over the past couple of years. And my respect for that guy went to an all-time high because I’ve watched. It’s easy to watch a person in the game. But when you see how a person prepares throughout the week or through in an offseason, I haven’t seen him in the offseason, but I do watch the way he prepares in practice. And his focus in practice, how it’s not a joke to him. He’s not talking between plays. And when he’s in, he’s in. He’s zoned in. He’s locked in.”​

http://goo.gl/oMLMIK[/rQUOTEr]

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

I cant imagine JR finding the link. There is a real possibility that O'B may have pulled a rabbit out of his a$$. Starting to feel little better about the qb situation.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh wow Gerald McCoy likes him? MCCOY? Hall of Fame it is then. Wooo hooo - Gerald McCoy. Yeeeehaw.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's funny how a poster can claim Houston had a great draft when the HC played a role in it, then turn around and question his judgment on a "my guy" level regarding a QB.. lol. Hypocrisy at it's fineness. I will trust BOB's sentiments for now. If he thinks Mallet is better than Keenum, it's a low risk high reward move. Much more intriguing than watching Case pull the trigger.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Dude keenum is not good. He went 0-8 last year.
    Obrien gave him plenty of chances, just let it go. What I really like isthat Obrien isn't messing around he's going to make a move if it's needed. He will cut anyone if needed. Kubiak would have kept the same 53 guys from last year just because there good guys lol

6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I don't think you understood what that guy was saying...lol

7. conquistador#11

when i watched lester jean in pre season, I thought he'd turn out to be like that receiver the cowboys cut, jimmy smith.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[QUOTERemii;9208943]Clowney was the consensus #1 pick by the media and the .com experts so there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell they were going to draft Blake (who probably was just as good if not a better pro prospect than Luck and Cam)... So he shouldn't even be in the discussion... Texans fans shouldn't even bring him up as being an option considering hardly anyone thought he was worth the pick.

But they still had a chance at Zach Mettenburger, Carr Jr, Jimmy G, Teddy B, Logan Thomas, and Johnny. But maybe Mallet will end up being better than all of them... Maybe.[/QUOTE]

No he won't.

9. Houston79Astro

Lot of negativity for a solid trade. If mallet was in this year's draft where would you draft him? This news should bring a little excitement, because very few qb's get to sit, learn for a couple of years, and then start. Lets see if the wait is well worth the development.

10. Summer Song Giver

Is this a rental or is there an extension (reasonable) in place?

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Its a rental until we see what he can do.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Arm talent is always overvalued by coaches. They all suffer from the same vanity that they are going to be the guy who can polish the "diamond in the rough". It apeals to their ego.

Jeff George, Logan Thomas, etc. "Head talent" is about as fixed and immutable as "arm talent", but coaches refuse to accept that.

13. Remii

Remii Member

I don't disagree with you... Just trying to have a lil hope because I think all of our eggs are now in the Mallet/Savage basket.

Bobby O'Brien got one of the quarterbacks he wanted out the draft and he got the quarterback he wanted to trade for... Bobby O'Brien may not be thinking about getting a quarterback in next year's draft and one of Mallet or Savage just may be the quarterback we will see under center for the next few years.

Probably in the 6th or 7th round considering he just got beat out by the 5th quarterback selected in the draft.

14. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...pats-ryan-mallett-is-a-legitimate-starting-qb

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

16. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

One thing that Mallet has going for him...no one knows what he'll do on his own...similar to one Matt Schaub, who was a relative unknown in ATL behind Michael Vick. Hoping for the best, but in general...if you have a player like Tom Brady in front of you, complacency to keep holding a clip board steps in, because that guy is never coming off the field unless he is physically broken.

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I can only find one game from 3 years ago. Anyone know where there are any more Mallet games/highlights.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IN this draft . . .we could have had the QBs that replaced him [Garapolo] and Schaub [Carr]

Rocket River

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Should Fitzpatrick get off to a rough start in Houston, which is hardly difficult to imagine given his background (even with a light first four games on the schedule against the Redskins, Raiders, Giants, and Bills), and Savage potentially being groomed for the long-term, Mallett should be next in line for an opportunity to prove what maybe only the NFL Network’s Mike Mayock ever witnessed.

With elite wideout Andre Johnson and second-year talent DeAndre Hopkins at his disposal, plus Arian Foster to move the chains in the backfield, the largely inexperienced Mallett might finally have a chance to “pop” in a well-known system under his old instructor.

Remember, everyone who followed the Patriots wanted Matt Cassel shipped out of town about this time six years ago after a lousy camp. When Brady went down with a season-ending knee injury the moment the 2008 regular season started, the then only slightly more experienced Cassel stepped in and guided Belichick’s squad to an 11-5 record
    Sometimes it just takes opportunity and a supporting cast. Somewhere inside Mallett’s shaky exterior and rattled confidence is the kid who thrived as a two-year starter at Arkansas from 2009-10, when he threw for 7,493 yards, 62 TD’s, and 19 interceptions in 26 games.

This is Mallett’s chance to prove his worth for a better-than-advertised Texans club that suffered through a 2-14 season in 2013 only one year after going 12-4.

I believe the quarterback will succeed and O’Brien will benefit from a trade that, based on reports, had been in the works for months. Belichick will be left with a sixth-round pick to show for it and the satisfaction that one of his own broke through in a situation he never would have otherwise received had he stayed.

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/09/discarded_patriots_qb_ryan_mallett_thrive_texans.html