1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bipartisan Issue] The average American woman now weighs as much as the average 1960s man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Something wrong with this. I mean, I weight 166 pounds.

[​IMG]

[rQUOTEr]The average American woman now weighs as much as the average 1960s man

The average American woman weighs 166.2 pounds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As reddit recently pointed out, that's almost exactly as much as the average American man weighed in the early 1960s.

Men, you're not looking too hot in this scenario either. Over the same time period you gained nearly 30 pounds, from 166.3 in the 60s to 195.5 today. Doing the same comparison as above, today's American man weighs almost as much as 1.5 American women from the 1960s. At 195.5 pounds, put five American guys in a room and you've gathered roughly half a ton of manhood.

[​IMG]

Overall weight gain since 1960 is slightly greater for women (18.5 percent) than for men (17.6 percent). And both sexes have gained roughly an inch in height over the same period, which accounts for some of that weight gain.

But story is mostly one of growing girth, and it basically boils down to three factors: we're eating less healthy food, we're eating more of it, and we're not moving around as much. According to a study published in 2012 in the journal BMC Public Health, Americans are now the world's third-heaviest people, behind only the Pacific island nations of Tonga and Micronesia.

The average American is 33 pounds heavier than the average Frenchman, 40 pounds heavier than the average Japanese citizen, and a whopping 70 pounds heavier than the average citizen of Bangladesh. To add up to one ton of total mass, it takes 20 Bangladeshis but only 12.2 Americans.

Together, the world's adult human beings added up to 287 million tons of biomass in 2005, according to the BMC Public Health study. But if every country had the same weight distribution as the U.S., the world would be 58 million tons fatter, an increase of 20 percent.

The study concludes that "tackling population fatness may be critical to world food security and ecological sustainability." And as with so many of the world's problems, the solutions start at home -- on the bathroom scale in this case. But boy, those donuts sure do look delicious.

[/rQUOTEr]

1 person likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

athletic = I went to the batting cage once last year
    average = chubby
    a few extra lbs = fat
    BBW = the fact that such a term exists says more than anything.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

What do swiss and eastern european models have over ours truly?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Men just have more muscle now. Women... yeah, they're just fatter. ;)

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

No coincidence our meat consumption has skyrocketed in the same amount of time.

[​IMG]

6. cml750

cml750 Member

I am sure liberals are itching to pass some legislation to correct this problem.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

can you explain the biochemistry of how meat increases fat accumulation? What in meat are u claiming makes a person retain energy more?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sugar and salt too I would imagine.

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You're right into calling his correlation into question. Meat alone isn't responsible for this, but antibiotic and hormone pumped livestock probably contributes to it. The biggest culprit is the amount of sugar we pump into everything. Particularly high fructose corn syrup.

Health wise, if you're at the point where you've had a lot of glycosilation going on in your vessels, red meat and the high cholesterol from it starts to become dangerous as there is already a meshwork for plaque formation.

If I were to summarize it in one take away---high fructose corn syrup and other sugar sources that throw your leptin, adiponectin, other hormones out of whack and set the stage for countless other problems.

10. tallanvor

sugar is the problem and there is no sugar in meat. Which makes his claim silly. Meat does not make a person fat.

Obesity epidemic is mostly caused by ignorance. Parents tell their fat kids to exercise more and eat less. This completely ignores biochemistry and assumes eating 100 calories of snickers is the same as 100 calories of lettuce. The stupid parents should learn how/why the body stores energy and help their kid know what to eat; not just how much.

I can;t tell you how many coworkers tell me eating grains is ok because you need fiber. Morons. you don't scarf down tons of carbs to get fiber. you can take a pill or eat vegetables.

11. trustme

trustme Member

I think sedentary lifestyle's may be the worst contributing factor to this.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

but...but...but... a calorie is a calorie, ammirite? And meat is obviously the source of obesity... just look at all those vegans. And uhh meat is clearly the cheapest food one can buy which explains why obesity is an epidemic with poor people.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Anybody who says sugar isn't the #1 cause of obesity (by a mile) has no clue at all what they are talking about.

Is too much meat consumption a part of the problem? Yes. But let's major on the majors and ditch the minors.

Regarding exercise: It is very good for your health but a "sedentary lifestyle" or "lack of exercise" isn't why Americans are so fat.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ehh its a chicken-or-the-egg paradox. Does the sedentary lifestyle encourage us to consume more sugar or does the sugar encourage us to be more sedentary. I get that sugar is more damaging vs a sedentary lifestyle, but sugar is not nearly as damaging if someone is active

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't think the average joe equates sugar with carbohydrates.

All sorts of alcohol is a "hidden" source of carbs

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree 100% with your points, but it isn't just sugar. It's almost everything with the American diet. Portion sizes are the central problem. I will still always remember on my trip to Europe after I graduated from college that there was a restaurant in Scotland advertising "American size portions".

Also, Americans are conditioned to think 3 meals a day is how you should eat, but it isn't the best way to do it. Things get especially screwed up when you miss a meal and then binge eat. Or that if you are served a titanic portion of food that you have to eat it all in one sitting. People think you need a starch (aka sugar) with every meal too. You're spot on that people don't get fat off the meat. They get fat off the bread and potatoes with the meat. Conversely, a lot of people think you need to have a meat with every meal or every time you eat too. There are tons of things wrong with how Americans eat.

Also, are you including all carbs when you say sugar? I know "sugar" is a carb, but sometimes people group them separately.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Muslims fault of course

18. tallanvor

I still have yet to hear someone tell me what in meat increases fat accumulation.

what are u basing this off of? what study?

#18 tallanvor, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you forgot supersize bbw.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member