1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asante Samuel : possible target via trade ?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rookie34, Apr 18, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Did he start?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not sure, but bringing in waiver wire trash and having him rotate with Kareem does not fit that narrative. Neither does blowing a big chunk of change on Jonathan Joseph, either. The Texans have done nothing to make it seem like they're "determined to make Kareem stick as a starter". If anything, they've done everything they can to minimize his opportunities on the field, short of outright benching him.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not an NFL capologist or even close to understanding its complexities, but if there is any way to do it, I don't see why you don't try.

That defense would be ridiculous to the point of win you a superbowl with random QB good (which might be necessary when Matt goes down with his season ender). And they can focus the rest of the draft almost entirely on offense as necessary.

If his contract becomes too much of an issue in the future, then just cut him then, right? If you are only giving up a mid round pick at best, than even one year of killer defense would seem worth it...

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They've done those things to hide him as a liability...but they've taken pains to not bench him, and have refused to bring in someone to start - Allen was never given a fair opportunity to take the job. They could have (and should have) put Quin opposite Joseph and had Nolan-Manning at S, but didn't. They could have (and should have) started Allen, but didn't. They haven't even made a move to replace Allen.

They're trying hard to convince themselves (and us) that Kareem will develop into a competent starter if they just give him time and don't bruise his ego with a benching. They don't want to admit picking him and rushing him into the starting role was a mistake.

In a similar vein, I'm going to need to see it in print that Jacoby's been cut to believe it.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'd love to just clone Joseph. Aso couldn't man coverage as well. Zone, man-to-man,...doesn't matter with Joseph & just think he could get better. ...Asante has the speed to keep up as well, but it is a numbers game.

I think we all just wish we could have someone as good as Joseph opposite him. But the Texans have some talent to keep in the next few years

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

It would be nice. Thing is, too much money, and the Texans need to have money to lock up Cush, Duane Brown, Schaub and Barwin... damn that's a lot of money coming up soon for the Texans.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Samuel would introduce a new dynamic that another Joseph could not -- generating turnovers... creating havoc. Samuel playing CB2 with the pass rush we have now -- that's exciting, albeit just a pipe-dream.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Not gonna happen but we can dream right. How about trade for Samuel and just cut Kareemed Jackson and take that cap hit this year. Then next year restructure Samuel and extend Brown, Barwin, and Schaub. Likely would have to cut Ninja though...

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

he's pretty overrated at this point imo, but a HUGE upgrade as a #2 corner

10. conquistador#11

ninja is the best 3-4 end in the league, the other one would be watt:grin:.
    call this crazy talk, but in the playoffs kareem jackson was able to turn his head left and make a play on the ball.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I would bet Smith is a cap casualty next year Samuel or no Samuel.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not out of the question.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is *such* a dead-end narrative. If Wade Phillips deems him unworthy, a proper replacement will be sought and KJ will be dealt with accordingly. There is absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.

I wish they'd cut so everyone would shut up about our 7/8th most important offensive weapon.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Off topic, but I always see people mentioning Barwin as a player we HAVE to re-sign. He had a breakout year last year and I like him as a player, but before last year, he was just a situational pass rusher. Let's see if he can repeat last year's performance before we talk about re-signing him.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]According to the Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane, the Eagles are willing to accept just a fifth- or sixth-round pick in exchange for CB Asante Samuel.
    It's interesting if true because the Denver Post reported the Eagles turned a pair of offers from the Broncos involving a fifth- or sixth-round pick and a player on Denver's roster. The problem may be Samuel's willingness to take a paycut more than the Eagles' compensation. Still, Philly's newfound urgency should increase the chances of Samuel wearing a different uniform by next weekend[/rQUOTEr]

16. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Barwin is someone who has a ton of potential. In college he was a converted tight end and played only a year on defense. His rookie year he was still learning how to play DE and while being a situational pass rusher showed flashes. His second year his leg got bent to a 90 degree angle. Last year after coming back from that horrible injury, he had to learn another new position with no real off season and had a really good season. With his versatility and athleticism I see him getting even better next year, he is a real up and comer in this league.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What would the implications be if we traded for Samuel then simply cut him next year? I could go for a 1-year rental, then focus on resigning our tenured guys next season.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Bingo. His rookie year, he was a 4-3 situational pass rusher ... he's much better suited as a 3-4 OLB as last year showed.

Even if he doesn't put up the same sack numbers, as long as he is as disruptive he will be well worth the money it takes to re-sign him. Smart guy with a good work ethic too so I don't expect any fall-off.

19. VBG

VBG Member

Interesting. Statistically Asante Samuel was pretty much the best corner in the NFL last year.

He still can't tackle RBs backs but if you want someone to shut down one side of the field, he will do it.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree about Barwin. Charlie P even suggested franchising him on the radio. I'd like to see him have two good years before we talking about him as this critical piece.