1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] With no answer for Ellis, Rockets get rolled (w/ Scola highlights)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Defensive Rotations were very very loose last night and guys just did not move well. Maybe fatigue but hard to believe we have a team that can give up 132 points in regulation.

JVG is laughing right now.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

We have such an awesome back court offense, but the worst back court defense in the league.

Why weren't we double teaming Ellis?

4. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

I felt both teams played hard.

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Really liking these post-game recaps, Clutch.

So much sharper than the Chronicle.

Thanks for taking some of the sting out of this loss.

1 person likes this.
  6. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Great. But...but...but.... I want to see Chuck Hayes highlight...... :p

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Its impossible to double team an athletically gifted player like Ellis, all you can do is try and limit his touches and for gods sake Morey needs to find a rim protector (ie.shotblocker) when Yao's not playing. Starting a 6'5 center is an invitation for the oppossing team to attack your basket.

8. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Thanks clutch.

Houston Rockets w/o Yao = no defense.

Houston Rockets w/24 min a game Yao = 24 mins of defense.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Rockets got Monta rolled....lol

Always gonna give it up.
    Always gonna let you drive
    Always gonna run around and desert you
    Always gonna make you cry
    Always gonna say you scored

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

(sorry for the late reply... long night)

Good point. 132 is probably the maximum Van Gundy would have accepted... for the road trip.

Still hard to say how the team is going to shape up defensively when they were without two key guys in Yao and Lowry, but that was not pretty.

Thanks Rasselas... appreciate that.

11. pge71188

pge71188 Member

true that, in the words of Clyde "You can only hope to contain him" :grin:

12. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Great recap Clutch, yours are the only ones I can read after a loss. ;)

On the defense, unlike the Texans, the Rockets do have an array of legit defenders, in fact one at every position. But as a group, they have clearly not gelled yet. I expected us to clamp down defensively on the Warriors backcourt in the 2nd half much like the Lakers did to ours just a night before. Gasol pretty much zoned the whole 2nd half and cut off drives from Brooks and Martin. According to RA, Hayes seems to have been instructed to do this, but he was either late, not aggressive, or just not tall enough to cause the havoc defensively that Gasol caused us. Having Yao would clearly have helped here.

I do think our defense will gel eventually, but it may take a bit longer than I thought as our rotations are just plain hideous right now. But unlike the Texans, I do see hope here.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i can't remember, did we put Lee on monta for an extended minutes last night? i love battier, but monta is a such a small quick guard that i don't think battier could do much, he would just wait until battier landed to shoot haha...ridiculously athletic that monta

i thought lee, with his athleticism, would have a better shot at guarding him more effectively, he very well may have guarded him i just can't remember

14. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

the GS game wasnt really a fail by us in the paint. It was ellis and curry putting on a shooting clinic. They went 67% from the field. I dare them to reproduce those stats every game.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If they get the tweedle dum & dee of perimeter defenders in Brooks and Martin, augmented by a creaking Battier, they very well might.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, I agree - Ellis hit some really really tough shots with defenders all over him. The fact he hit them speaks well of his abilities last night but I wouldn't put money on such an inefficient scorer like Ellis doing that more than 2 or 3 times a year. Several normally average GS players were hitting on all their shots too. Definitely Houston's defense could be better but credit GS for just being insanely hot last night. Let's not jump off a cliff just yet.

...and I do agree that I REALLY want to see an athletic shot blocker on this team. Going cold turkey after Hakeem just isn't working out for me.

17. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

well written, Clutch. Keep em coming :)

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets will lead the league in free throws made per game, by a wide margin. Seems like a safe prediction at this point.

19. redao

redao Member

If Battier cannot contain Ellis, why bother asking Brooks or Martin to try to defend?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ellis was beating Battier with quickness, and both Brooks and Martin are much, much quicker.

I think next time we play the Warriors, Adelman should consider starting Lee in place of Battier. Have Lee defend Ellis, and put Martin on Wright.