1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I gained 10 lbs this semester..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yaozer, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Am I gonna die?

I used to be 120 at the start of last semester and I went to the gym and weighed myself and I'm 130. What the hell man!

2. brooksstephens

you weigh 130 and you're trying to LOSE weight??

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

How tall are you? 4'6"?

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

are you female?

5. conquistador#11

maybe it's all muscle. have you been taking any B-12 shots?

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I'm 5'7" I'm growing a belly. I used to chuckle at guys who complain about having a belly. Karma is a ho..

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Don't get in a fight.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's called puberty. Your balls will drop before you know it.

10. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

i gained almost 20 pounds freshmen semester (162-180). took a while to lose all that lol. just keep going to the gym dude.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

120? That's like a girl's weight lol. 130 is nothing dude. In any case, don't be the skinny dude with a belly. That's the weirdest looking thing. Keep hitting the gym and you'll even everything out.

12. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

i'm 140. I also gained ten lbs.

13. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I don't know about weights as low as yours (120???) but my weight varies from 180 to 195 all the time. It doesn't matter if I haven't been to the gym for a month or a year, I'm back at 180. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more time to get to 195 than to 180.

This will be a little off-topic but if anyone has the knowledge and time, I would like to know what you think. I have a pretty good knowledge about weightlifting and fitness although I've never really had a trainer. But my question is - how do you get your body to not drop below a certain weight? For example, a few years ago I never dropped below some 165 pounds or so then I somehow got that to 180. The problem is, I don't know how! Is it just my body maturing? (I'm 20)

Another question - is it normal to lose a lot of strength just in one month? When I get back to the gym after a short time off, I'm usually one of the weakest guys in there :eek: Seriously, it's like I've never been to the gym before. Even worse actually, I think I started off with bigger weights... Then after 3 or 4 months I'm back to normal, at least in most areas. Nobody I know has such huge swings. And, as I've never been able to not f up either one of my shoulders once in a while which forces me to sit out, I'm basically jammed in this kind of circle the last couple of years...

14. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

i'mkinda the same way emat. I put on 25 lbs my fresh year went from 185-210. But it was just lazy fat. When I started working again out I dropped to 185, but since I don't you use supplements I find it really hard putting on strict muscle weight. Just gotta work out harder I suppose.

15. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Thats a pretty normal fluctuation for someone your age. The 10 lbs came from not working out and just naturally filling out.

My advice is sign up for a weight lifting course if your university has one to give yourself a base of knowledge. Make sure to incorporate plenty of cardio (running, basketball, whatever you can keep up on days you don't lift) and a healthy diet.

The good news is... at your age, you will lose the weight pretty fast. If you created the same habits at age 30+, your metabolism would be much slower and you prob would have put on 20+ pounds.

Honestly, don't worry too much about your weight. It's going to change dramatically over the next few years (depending on your genetics).

I'm about 5'9 and weighed 130 pounds going into college. I graduated college at a little over 160 (just from naturally filling out). After 1 year of working and not working out and eating right, I got up to almost 190 pounds.

I purchased a book called the Abs Diet (highly recommended) and stuck to the dietary plan and have done multiple workout regimens (periodization, circuit training, etc). I'm now at a solid 175 pounds with about 11-12% body fat.

Eat right, workout hard, and keep your mind sharp. Chicks don't dig guys that they can break in half. :p

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Huh... I guess gaining weight freshman year is normal, but personally, I lost 16 pounds my freshman year. I remember I was 174 my senior year of high school, and after one semester I was 158 (I'm 6'0). I was so busy I just kept forgetting to eat, if you can believe it. It'd be 8pm and I'd look up from my work and go "oh yeah... I haven't eaten since 9am, huh?"

17. YourSecretLover

I gained 40 pounds before college

18. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Hell I gained something like 20lb my freshman year between beer and the crappy cafeteria food on campus.

19. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I ate like crazy this past semester, and I weighed myself the other day, and I only gained 1 pound! I'm somewhat disappointed, because I went into school at 124 lbs, but now I'm only 125! I live on a hill, and I do a lot of walking, a little dancing here and there, some running when it's super cold, but I'm by no means in the best shape of my life. I used to work out and drink creatine and whey protein a couple years back, but that didn't help obviously. What should I do? Keep eating? I'll be ordering takeout all semester, so we'll see how that turns out.

20. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

5'7 130?

this = you?

[​IMG]