1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grantland - The Best Way to Understand Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Jul 14, 2014.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-best-way-to-understand-daryl-morey/

I think this article is pretty spot on. Didn't quote the whole thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. s.b713

s.b713 Member

"The best way to understand Daryl Morey" (Grantland)

Interesting read IMO

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good read. And I usually hate that guy.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Wow. Great article. A little biased but very spot on. What I've been trying to say all along but without a journalistic background. Analytics have a place in bball. They absolutely must be used. But when you have stat geeks with no bball knowledge (not referencing Morey) that's when it becomes a problem. The stat revolution has allowed nerds who wanted to be in the jock circle the opportunity. The problem is they think they're smarter than everyone else and bash anyone who disagrees with them. Cue the Morey cultists.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Nice Jordannn!

6. tnopham

tnopham Member

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your post seems a lot more negative than what this article says. This article makes the case FOR Daryl Morey.

8. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Good, fair read. I'd be concerned with guys not wanting to play with Dwight/Harden. Trading for a guy and hoping he sticks might be the best strategy.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't understand the "we got rid of Asik for nothing" portion of the article- we dumped a player who was surplus to requirements, who nobody really wanted last year, wiht a huge salary - for a late lotto/mid first guaranteed pick.

That's "nothing" for a guy who couldn't be moved a few months ago? That was a good deal regardless of any other circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  10. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Imagine Rondo here, another odd personality LOL

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A few incorrect statements in there, but he's largely right, and that is very disappointing.

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm mostly on board with this article, but it's ridiculous to extrapolate no one wanting to play with Howard and Harden based on one offseason where 3 out of 4 Morey targets re-signed with their current teams and the other went home to Cleveland. Howard himself seemed fine with coming here to join Harden, no? The Lakers sure wanted to play with Howard when they first acquired him, yes?

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah I don't buy the not wanting to play with Howard/Harden meme.

More applicable, the new CBA worked this offseason. The CBA was designed to keep max players on their current team and to make it hard for teams to build super teams.

When give the option to build a superteam in Houston or stay in Miami for an extra $30 million plus, Bosh chose Miami.

Dwight will be the exception to the rule because of a few circumstances: Sour relationship with Kobe and the head coach in LA and state taxes.

14. Big Time Titan

We all know that Maury is gonna keep his eyes open for the next big move to make and all with be forgiven when he makes it so I ain't even trippin.

He has had his share of wiffs but you have to give him credit for having the b@11s to go for it.

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

As this off season has gone on this has started being my concern as well. None of the big time free agents are exactly knocking down the door to come play with the best 2 guard and center in the game, something Morey was banking on. Pulling another blockbuster trade seems like the Rox only hope of Morey's dream on having 3 "elite" players.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Biased article by a writer that has never liked Morey.

First off, Lowry was TRADED for a pick that landed James Harden.

Second, there is a lot of controversy considering the Dragic and Lin situation and whom actually had final say on it.

Third, Carmelo Anthony has said in the past Dwight Howard was the player he would most like to play with. Anthony not going to Houston had nothing to do with the Rockets and everything to do with him wanting to play in a mega large city.

Fourth, the James Harden trade was considered a steal "at the time", as if it isn't now? GTFO.

Daryl Morey has made mistakes, but every single GM with a track record has. Hell, Jerry West took Drew Gooden over Amare Stoudamire, paid Brian Cardinal a huge amount of money, said Yao Ming would become Rik Smits and thinks Klay Thompson is the Second Comming.

It isn't that the article is entirely negative of Morey, it is just not well done and IMO isn't accurate about his tenure.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Having said that, Morey got us here in the first place, so I thank him. Up to him to get us out of this mess.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I live in Chicago and hear the EXACT same thing about the Bulls.... how none of the stars want to play there with Rose or Noah and how they have consistently missed on free agents... how Duncan, McGrady, Anthony, LeBron, Bosh and Wade all passed on going there the last decade or so.

What about Los Angeles? They didn't get Carmelo or Bosh and Howard actually left there.

The truth is the Rockets have done very well with free agents/trades, the fact is that there are always many suiters and very few teams get them... most go back to their original team.

If there is one real concern with getting a 3rd star, it is that few are available, few go to new trades and the Rockets have a 2-3 year window to add one... is there enough time, is Morey too stubborn?

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Yes i know. I forgot to quote the paragraph where he references the stat revolution in my post. I still like Morey. He's still one of the best. Just a little tired of all the people who thinks he has no flaws and if you disagree with him they are quick to ridicule you.

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope it's some one better than Rondo. I think Rondo and Howard down the stretch in games will give me a heartattack with bricking free throws.

Great read. Thanks.