1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruce Bowen Goes Off on McHale and Hardens D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 22, 2014.

1. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Not going to.... throw up all over myself... Bruce is... (gagging) ... ohhh the pain inside... Bruce is right.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chandler Parsons too!

Thanks McHale!

3. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

My favorite is him guarding point guards. That worked out well for us.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol. What I don't get is how a team who ranked 12/30 on defense, a team that was top 10 all year until Dwight sat and our defensive assistant left, is a team that catches so much heat for defense.

We had the worst defender in NBA history and were still pretty good on defense, just not great like our offense.

5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Winning championships...delusions of Chandeur.

6. Karolik

Karolik Member

I think we had the worst defense of all the teams in the playoffs....

7. sabesque

sabesque Member

Yea, I agree. Easy to say "Chandler was lock down compared to James" since its becoming the new popular NBA narrative, but how was his defense compared to Patrick Beverly? Compared to Dwight?

Chandler has worked with Kelvin Sampson (whose entire platform is defense, accountability and discipline) since Chandler came into the league.

Defense is largely about commitment and effort. It's his fault, like everyone else.

8. conquistador#11

we were getting 'predatory' with our offense even before the thunder gave harden his rookie contract.
    2009-2010,2010-2011,2011-2012, we were tops in offense.
    give the fuhrer a seven footer like yao or dwight, the defense gets better, like top five in the league.
    anyone remember this:http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/04/10/defensiveplayer/

you give mchale an 28 year old yao, he might turn him into a nice three point shooter and horrible point guard defender.:p

I guess i'm wondering whose idea was it to give pimply parsons a makeover. pimply parsons was the best asset for a democratic style of basketball. If he returns to that, the mavs will be a much better team as opposed to mavs with flashy parsons.

9. 34to11

34to11 Member

It's perception versus reality.
    When a certain perception becomes popular, lazy minds run with it.

It's a lot easier to just roll with the popular narrative than it is to challenge with the truth. All the more when that narrative fits your agenda.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you want to use hyperbole about Harden's defense, you should also do the same and call Howard the best defender in NBA history.

And everybody knows having a great defensive center is the most important thing for a good defensive team.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The irony is that Alexander has been known as a coach killer. RudyT, JVG, and Adelman were all good coaches and he canned them all just because.

12. baubo

baubo Member

Dallas defense ranking with Carlisle as coach 17, 12, 8, 8, 19, 22, average of 14.3 rank.
    Houston defense ranking with McHale as coach 13, 16, 17, average of 15.3 rank.

How in the world did Carlisle of all coaches became a "defensive guru"? Dude is not exactly a Van Gundy brother.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

All this does is make me shake my head at Parsons some more. You can talk all you want in the offseason. Go ahead and let your play do the talking.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Word. Also, I heartily invite all of these Dallas jock sniffers proliferating around here lately to piss off and follow that team.

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

F Bruce Bowen. That was just a way for him to clown the Rockets and pump up his old team.

We all know McHale isn't a great defensive mind but Bowen is going overboard.

16. sabesque

sabesque Member

But at the same time, that's only four coaches in 20 years as an owner.

In contrast, the lakers have had something like 14 (including interim) during the same time and really only one was successful for them.

I don't know if its on les

17. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I don't know if "canned" is the correct term in this context... I don't believe that les (and correct me if I'm wrong) has ever fired a coach, but more like he doesn't extend them back after their contract has ended