1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[mySA] Bruce Bowen on Kawhi, Kobe and dealing with Gregg Popovich

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedEyesKirby, Sep 22, 2014.

1. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I thought this was interesting, especially the part about Houston. If you are easily offended by the mention of defense and Houston, then this piece is not for you. You can skip the 2nd question, and just read along. The rest is pretty interesting as well.

LINK

ABOUT HOUSTON/JAMES HARDEN:
    Speaking of defense, do you just cringe when you watch James Harden?

See, I don’t cringe, because I remember him in OKC. In fairness to James, yes, (his defense) has been terrible, but what are the principles in Houston? I’m very disappointed in their team concept. That’s what I don’t see. So, if there are no rules and regulations, how do you hold anyone accountable? Speaking to James about this, he’ll say it – “I know I have to do a better job.” But without any direction, without a coach saying, hey, we’re going to send this player baseline because that will be our best bet, it’s really tough. Defense is something you have to practice very day, especially rotations. We went over our rotations every day in all my eight years in San Antonio. You would think me, Tim, Tony and Manu all knew what we were supposed to do. But others don’t. They have to become as familiar as we were. That’s why I go back to principles. Go back to OKC and they’re playing the Lakers, he guarded Kobe pretty well. That’s why I say, what’s going on (in Houston) is about something else.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

You hearing this Les? GET RID OF THIS GARBAGE COACHING STAFF AND MAY BE YOU MAY HAVE A GOOD TEAM!!!

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

If only our team could get a real coach...sigh...

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

it's so obvious bowen is angling for a coaching job.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Damn Bowen dropping some knowledge. An indictment on McFail.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I wished he worked for us. He had balls to call Mike Tyson a rapist he will definately get in Harden's beard.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Well nothing new here. It all eventually boils down to coaching or lack thereof. The Rockets have and hold on to a muppet joke of a head coach in the pathetic McHale who is holding this team back. Most people get this except Morey (for unknown reasons) and several McHale apoligsts here on CF.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    "I see what you're saying Dwight but I think we need to try James guarding LaMarcus at LEAST once this series"

[​IMG]
    "I told you James; there's no need to hire a defensive minded assistant coach. They used to call me the White Glove at the Y"

[​IMG]
    "My knee's still pretty banged up coach. I might have to get surgery on this torn meniscus. I know I'm your best perimeter defender but I gotta think about the long term y'know?"
    "Who are you again?"

[​IMG]
    "And...And...then I told them "What do you mean I can't have change back for that lap dance???" Ohhh boy, well I think we had a good practice here Chandler. Remember what we went over if the Blazers give Lillard the ball for a game winner"

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Haha. Did you come up with those quotes?

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea. The pictures write them themselves :grin:

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bruce Bowen stick up for one of his own. They don't like to talk bad about each other.

I am trying to figure out what kind of scheme and team concepts involve letting your guy run free while you stare at the ball. Did the coaches tell Harden to do this and assigned someone else to watch his man?

1 person likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Bowen, you are now an assistant coach for the Houston Rockets. I hope.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's not offensive. It's actually a different angle than what we usually hear about Harden's defense. I'm sure the team is aware of this and looking to fill that hole.