1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TIVO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rookie, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

I am considering getting a DTV receiver with TIVO. I have a couple of questions. Do you pay a monthly fee for TIVO in addition to your DTV bill? If so, how much?

Any feature that I need to be to get?

Thanks,

Rookie

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not sure about Direct TV, but with Dish Network, the service AND the TIVO/DVR receiver are both free.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think if you get the DTV, you can pay a one time fee or a monthly fee still. My friend just got the DTV, and he said he is actually paying an extra $7 a month for the Tivo service which is $5 less than the service if you have a stand-alone Tivo box.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

If you get a high enough level of service from Direct TV, they throw in the Tivo service fees for free.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

i'm thinking of getting the Toshiba SDH400. It's a progscan DVD player + 80G DVR with Tivo Basic (a free service that lets you record up to 3 days in advance)

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

DirecTV's pricing is strange.

All levels, you pay $5 "mirroring fee" per receiver (beyond the first) per month.

If you have a DirecTV DVR, you pay an additional $5 DVR fee per month for the first DVR, unless you subscribe to Premiere (the top level, $80/month). Any additional DVRs, you pay only the mirroring fee.

What this means to you:

All of the following assume you are not at premiere. Otherwise, subtract $5.

(1) you *add* a DirecTV DVR: additional $10/month.

(2) you REPLACE one of your current receivers with DVR: additional $5/month.

(3) you replace one of your current receivers, and add another DVR (two total):
    additional $10/month.

The only other thing you need to think about is make sure you have two lines running to your DVR from the multiswitch. It has the capability of recording two shows at once, which is VERY cool.

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I know there's been a thread on Tivo before where I said the same thing I'll say now. Get one, they're awesome! I have a stand alone Tivo and I know you can pay with a monthly fee or 30 year subscription.

#7 rockets-#1, Mar 12, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

:eek:

How much does that 30 year subscription run ya?

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This must be new, because when I signed up for the DVR through DISH network, unless you had their largest channel package, you got a $4.95 monthly service fee for using the DVR. Is it free for everyone now?

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I signed up about 3 years ago. Just got the basic 150 package, no movies or sports channels. It was $30-$40 a month, including the DVR, but there was not seperate charge for the DVR.

And I don't think its new. My parents just signed up for Dish, and also got the DVR and they are only charged for the basic 150 package.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/getdish/dhp/index.shtml

"Add monthly $4.98 DISH video-on-demand service fee for EACH DISH player-DVR 510 and EACH dish player-dvr 522 multi-room receiver."

Others may disagree, but from personal comparison the "TiVO experience" in the DirecTV DVR is a tremendous advantage.

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I wouldn't get it because you could end up moving and there's going to be a lot of new technology coming out I'm sure in the upcoming years so Tivo will probably become outdated before too long. Also, I can't remember, but monthly seemed like the obvious choice.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

i think it's $300 for life vs. $13 per month

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

That is for the standalone TiVo. The DirecTV DVR only has the $5/month option.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The DirecTV receivers that have Tivo built in are much cheaper than the standalone Tivo boxes. The brand I got is Hughes and it was only $99 at Best Buy about 2 months ago. I love it!